C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

How do I remove the CCM and DERM?

Old 05-30-2008, 07:02 PM
josephf31
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default How do I remove the CCM and DERM?

on my 1991 L98 Auto Coupe, have the console, upper dash trim, and right and left lower trim and knee panels all off, but still can't see how to get these out.

It looks like (maybe?) the instrument panel bezel and cluster need to be removed? The center plastic "frame" over the metal CCM/DERM supports won't come out...

Thanks all!
Old 05-30-2008, 10:47 PM
RACER 1993
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I removed the CCM in my 1993, I don't know how similar they are. The CCM was mounted upright, connectors at bottom and leaning back toward the driver. I had to take the large steel (vertical) bracket off on the drivers side. The CCM is sandwiched between two of these brackets. It had about 8 or 10 bolts in it. Then reaching where the radio was and pulling the CCM toward the gas pedal and tilting it came the fun part. There were plastic locks that have to come off the connectors before you can unplug them. Be very cafeful unplugging this thing. After that the derm should be easy. I also had the AC controls and DIC out to get some light in there. I think it took about 5 hours to get the CCM out without hurting it and a couple more hours than that to put it back in. I think I could have pulled the engine in less time.

I don't know why you want the CCM out but it is a bear of a job to get it out and 2 bears to get it back in. By the way I took the drivers seat out, I am over six feet tall and could not get on the floor and on my back. I promise you if you really want to do this that taking the 4 nuts off the seat and getting it out of the way is the way to go.
Old 05-31-2008, 01:07 AM
josephf31
Pro

Default I want to check them for damage etc.

I've been trying to get it out on the right side with no luck...I already have the radio, dic and ac controls out as well as both seats and all the console parts and side carpets.

I need to take out the derm and ccm because it looks to me like there might some some wiring damage or possibly damage from an old electrical fire in there and I want to check it all out.

Thanks for the tips it's next on my list of things!
Old 05-31-2008, 11:22 PM
RACER 1993
Racer

On mine the harness feeds to the CCM from the left side, thats why you need to take it out from that side. The FSM makes this sound simpler than it is but they direct you to take it out on drivers side.

Once you remove the bracket on left side you will see that the CCM will move to the left and come off its hanger. On mine there are studs on the left side of box and a plastic dowel pin that slips into a hole on the bracket on the right side. The CCM is only held by screws or studs on the left end.

If you took the nuts off the studs on the left you might be able to get it out but it would probably be harder to get it lined up when putting it back in.

Last edited by RACER 1993; 05-31-2008 at 11:25 PM. Reason: More info
Old 06-01-2008, 09:36 PM
josephf31
Pro

Default Well they're out

Thanks to all I got both the CCM and DERM out, the DERM and air bag sensor appear to have suffered damage from some electrical fire or short in the car which has impacted a number of wires, so I've ordered a replacement DERM already.

Can anyone recommend where to get a replacement air bag impact sensor? Thanks again to all!
Old 06-02-2008, 01:12 AM
Mojave
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by josephf31
Thanks to all I got both the CCM and DERM out, the DERM and air bag sensor appear to have suffered damage from some electrical fire or short in the car which has impacted a number of wires, so I've ordered a replacement DERM already.

Can anyone recommend where to get a replacement air bag impact sensor? Thanks again to all!
I've got a DERM for a 96 that I'll let go for cheap. Worked great, removed when the interior was gutted.
Old 06-03-2008, 12:20 PM
josephf31
Pro

Default I need the sensor

already got a good deal on a DERM
Old 06-03-2008, 09:59 PM
rodneyiii
Cruising

Originally Posted by josephf31
already got a good deal on a DERM
I may be needing a DERM for my '91 also. Where did you find one for yours? I don't know if it is easier to get mine repaired or buy a replacement one. Thanks.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:40 AM
josephf31
Pro

Default I was lucky

and got a used on eBay for $25 (don't have it yet but should soon).

Otherwise I was gonna to one of the salvage places, www.vette2vette.com, tabors, or art's corvettes.

I didn't want to take a chance with a bad DERM

Get notified of new replies

To How do I remove the CCM and DERM?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How do I remove the CCM and DERM?