C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Harmonic Balancer Size

Old 12-21-2001, 12:13 AM
Kieran Cox
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harmonic Balancer Size

Finally decided to fix the leak from on the balancer seal (timing cover). I took the balancer, oil pan, and timing chain cover to a local machine shop to have them cleaned thouroughly and checked.
To my suprise the engine builder reports 2
very bad problems
1. My balancer is shot. The rubber was starting to seperate and I am DAMN lucky to have taken it off when I did.
2. The balancer is the wrong size. He thought the balancer was for a 327?! WTF? The balancer is 7" or 8" in diameter. This guy says it should be like like 12" in diameter!

Is he full of crap or has someowner before me tryed to be cute in lightening the rotating assembly?

Any suggestions for replacement?

Does this mean my motor is screwed? I just rebuilt it in 9/2000 due to spun 1and 2 main bearings. I have driven about 20K miles since the rebuild.

Could this balancer be the root of the spun bearings?

Any help is naturally appreciated, thanks.

[Modified by Kieran ***, 10:18 PM 12/20/2001]
Old 12-21-2001, 12:16 AM
dtorc4
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Harmonic Balancer Size (Kieran ***)

I believe he is wrong. The balancer should be 6 or 6 1/2" diameter. An 8" balancer is used on 400s and 383 (400 crank). But you are lucky for finding the original one that was torn up. :cheers:
Old 12-21-2001, 12:22 AM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

The balancer should be 6 or 6 1/2" diameter.
That sounds right, according to the brand new one I'm holding righth here. :)
Old 12-21-2001, 02:07 AM
weekendwrench
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Didn't you just rebuild this motor within the last year? If I recall correctly that sucks having to fix an oil leak so soon. I have a leak from the back of the intake despite my recent rebuild. Not enough silicon in my case. I also think your machinist is wrong about the balancer. Mine is no where near 12". That is, me or my balancer! I would just buy a OE balancer unless you plan to spin really high rpm's. Check with 18carfan for a good price.
Old 12-21-2001, 02:16 AM
AquaMetallic94LT1
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Twelve inch balancer :confused: I have never seen one that big on a passenger V8. A bad balancer will chewup the front bearing I don't know what it does to the other ones or if it will cause them to bond to the crankshaft and spin.

Take a look at the Street damper buy Fluiddamper. The balancer is a very important part of the rotating assy.

Get notified of new replies

To Harmonic Balancer Size

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Harmonic Balancer Size