C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Optispark cap & rotor change

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 11:03 PM
Nemeth
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Optispark cap & rotor change

I'm replacing my 96 LT4 factory plug wires and opti cap and rotor with MSD parts. The MSD cap & rotor kit did not include the metal shield portion of the isolator assembly. I'm calling it a shield as I don't know the correct name for it. I assume I have to re-use the factory shield...is that correct? Also, the MSD kit included two seals...one to go between the opti and isolator assembly and the other to go between the isolator assembly and cap. However, there's already a seal on the cap side of the new isolator. Does MSD typically provide an extra seal?
Old 06-06-2008, 11:30 PM
BlackHarleyMan
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's the way I took it when I got my MSD. I had and still have an extra seal. As far as the shield piece that your talking about, I don't know what you mean. If you can post a pic, that would help some. I will tell you this, if there is ANYWAY POSSIABLE to put that seal in place before you put it on your car, then you won't jack yours up like I did mine during the install. I used the flat type seal on the cap but due to it moving during install, I ended up with two flat spots on that seal. Luckly, there's a spare.

Goodluck

Is this just the MSD Cap and rotor, or is the the full Billet MSD Opti-Spark? I have the full blown Opti-Spark and it came with a set of spare seals. I'm not sure what the cap and rotor kit has.
Old 06-07-2008, 08:46 AM
Nemeth
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The "shield" is a thin metal plate that is held in place by the rotor. It covers the slotted disc. From what I've read on other sites I figure I have to reuse the original part.

Thanks

Last edited by Nemeth; 06-07-2008 at 12:31 PM. Reason: To clarify response

Get notified of new replies

To Optispark cap & rotor change

Quick Reply: Optispark cap & rotor change