C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Is this a Opti spark problem?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 08:24 AM
QBLU92
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this a Opti spark problem?

Further update.... I had the new Opti installed, a cost of $450 and it turns out that the new Opti is defective also. Now the car starts, runs for about 30 seconds and die's (like it was just turned off) it starts right back up again and runs for about the same amount of time then dies again. After the 3rd or 4th time it will stay running and run fine, so i drove it for about 20 minutes ( it was running fine) then it kinda sputtered once so i headed back home to avoid pushing/towing but let it run in the garage for amother 20 minutes without problem. (note when it first starts the check engine light is not on until it stalls then it sets a code 36) I can start it and give it gas so i wont stall and i can keep it running but it eventually sputters and then the check engine light comes on again. I remover the ECM fuse to reset the code, ( i think this is the correct way to reset) and the code is still there. These Opti's are a pain in the rear, and i looks like i'm gona learn how to replace them myself this time!!!

My 92 starts fine, and runs good for about 10 miles then it starts to miss and sputter, then die. I can restart it but it still misses and sputters. If it sits for a length of time (prob long enough to cool off) it will start and run fine for about 10 miles, then it starts missing again.
Could this be the Opti Spark? That is what the Dealer told me and they want $1500 to replace it and the water pump! Not to sure about the dealers work, and I would hate to do the replace myself and find it's not the opti!!

Thanks!!! :cheers

Well, here's my update. I installed the new ICM and the problem is still there. I checked the codes and im getting a code 36. Any help with a code 36? My repair manual says Code 36, Ignition system circut error or transaxle shift problem. I just replaced the ICM????

Thanks!!

Last edited by QBLU92; 08-07-2008 at 09:43 AM.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:18 AM
NEVRL8T
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any codes? Doesn't sound like the opti to me. Sounds like an ECM problem. Have you tried putting a bag of ice on the ECM and seeing if it will run for longer than 10 minutes like this?
Old 06-17-2008, 09:46 AM
92PGC
Pro

check all the plug wires. I had trouble starting. Dealer told me it "appeared" to be the opti. I had it towed to another shop and it turned out to be a loose wire.

good luck.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:49 AM
Mekanic
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ECM or the coil, only 2 things that would be heat effected.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:20 AM
deerra
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by QBLU92
My 92 starts fine, and runs good for about 10 miles then it starts to miss and sputter, then die. I can restart it but it still misses and sputters. If it sits for a length of time (prob long enough to cool off) it will start and run fine for about 10 miles, then it starts missing again.
Could this be the Opti Spark? That is what the Dealer told me and they want $1500 to replace it and the water pump! Not to sure about the dealers work, and I would hate to do the replace myself and find it's not the opti!!
Thanks!!!
I had exactlythe same problem on my 92. I just finished replacing the opti and coil with MSD along with a new WP, hoses, plugs and wires.
Runs like a champ now and feels as if it has 20 additional HP.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:20 AM
NEVRL8T
Race Director

BTW, if it is an ECM problem - good luck. The 92 ECM is like the holy grail of parts for this model. You are more than likely looking to get a rebuild and even that can take a while.
Old 06-17-2008, 12:28 PM
QBLU92
Instructor

Ttt
Old 06-17-2008, 12:35 PM
Randy93
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '06

Check your o2's, ICM and coil.
Old 06-17-2008, 12:36 PM
david350
Instructor

if it was the opti, it would not run well period let alone for 10 minutes
Old 06-17-2008, 12:48 PM
QBLU92
Instructor

Originally Posted by david350
if it was the opti, it would not run well period let alone for 10 minutes
Thanks for the input, But it will run fine for about 10 MILES, then start acting up, then after it sits for a short time, it will run again.
I'm thinking that it has to heat up then it starts acting up and when it cools off its good again. Opti? For the price of the Opti, i don't want to just replace it and find it's not the problem.
Old 06-17-2008, 02:15 PM
david350
Instructor

Thanks for the input, But it will run fine for about 10 MILES, then start acting up, then after it sits for a short time, it will run again.
I'm thinking that it has to heat up then it starts acting up and when it cools off its good again. Opti? For the price of the Opti, i don't want to just replace it and find it's not the problem.
my point was if the opti is bad, you would notice it immediately regardless of how long its been running. However your symptoms *sound* like they could be opti related. Here is a thought, check to see that there are no leaks from the water pump? if a few drops get in there then boom
Old 06-17-2008, 02:19 PM
Redeasysport
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

You need to check the things already given you before you go to the opti. The ECM, ICM and coil all will get flakey as the car heats up. The opti usually does not it either works or does not. If after you have checked the above and ruled them out then start looking at the opti. My bet is ICM.
Old 06-17-2008, 03:45 PM
onedef92
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

My money's on Ignition Control Module (ICM) too. They test 'em for free at AutoZone, NAPA, etc....
Old 06-17-2008, 04:19 PM
FICINJECTORS
Supporting Vendor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks!!!
Do and injector coil test. cold then hot. all you need is an ohm meter. won't take more than 10 min's. then watch this video. This customer had the same problem but it would go about 20 miles. then sputter for the rest of the day. Checking injectors is free.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=2055067
Old 06-17-2008, 08:36 PM
QBLU92
Instructor

Originally Posted by onedef92
My money's on Ignition Control Module (ICM) too. They test 'em for free at AutoZone, NAPA, etc....
Where is the ICM and the coil located?

Old 06-17-2008, 09:19 PM
Road Agent
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 92PGC
check all the plug wires. I had trouble starting. Dealer told me it "appeared" to be the opti. I had it towed to another shop and it turned out to be a loose wire.

good luck.
He said it starts fine!
Old 06-18-2008, 06:52 AM
QBLU92
Instructor

ttt

Get notified of new replies

To Is this a Opti spark problem?

Old 06-18-2008, 07:04 AM
Mekanic
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Where is the ICM and the coil located?

coil in near the front of the passengers side head, ICM is somewhere in my FSM heh
Old 06-19-2008, 12:23 AM
RACER 1993
Racer

The Ignition Control Module is mounted to a aluminum heat sink on the right head above the coil.

Autozone and other places test them free, I really don't know if its just a static test or actually under load though. My experience with ICM's has always been total failure, not on again off again.

Does the car ever go into Limp Mode?
Old 06-19-2008, 10:16 AM
QBLU92
Instructor

Originally Posted by RACER 1993
The Ignition Control Module is mounted to a aluminum heat sink on the right head above the coil.

Autozone and other places test them free, I really don't know if its just a static test or actually under load though. My experience with ICM's has always been total failure, not on again off again.

Does the car ever go into Limp Mode?
Thanks for the help, i don't think it goes into limp mode, it runs like its out of gas, i can restart it and work the gas, but i will go about 30 or 40 feet then die out again. It will keep doing this until it sits for awhile then it will start and run fine. (i'm guessing until it heats up again)

Quick Reply: Is this a Opti spark problem?