C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Power Steering Fluid

Old 12-27-2001, 10:46 AM
86VetteBill
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Power Steering Fluid

I've checked the archives and didn't find anything that 'exactly' answers my question...

:confused:

With 'morning sickness' as prevelent as it sounds, has anyone replaced the reservoir with straight tranny fluid? Are there any pros or cons about this? I'm looking to get rid of this condition without replacing the rack, which may be inevitable. :sad:

The colder it gets outside, the more I seem to feel it.
Old 12-27-2001, 12:29 PM
jimfl
Intermediate

Default Re: Power Steering Fluid (86VetteBill)

Bill, I don't know about the tranny fluid, but, I replaced the fluid in my 87 with valvoline synthetic and it did seem to help.
Old 12-27-2001, 12:55 PM
86VetteBill
Racer

Default Re: Power Steering Fluid (jimfl)

I don't think I'm dating myself here, because I'm ONLY 43 years old (I say that with every year older I get! :p: ) , but we used to use trans fluid as a replacement fluid in the power steering pump reservoirs.

I'm thinking that trans fluid has some preety good shear properties since it's used an auto-transmissioins. So it shouldn't hurt and might *help* the 'morning sickness' syndrome.
Old 12-27-2001, 07:35 PM
PeteL
Le Mans Master

Location: And on the fifth day, subpoenas were served to Obama senior staff
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ATF does not have the additives necessary for modern PS systems. You want a good PS fluid. I have used Valvoline, and it is probably OK. I have some RedLine that I'm going to try on the next change. GM also makes a really nice "winter" PS fluid.

Two ways to change it out.

1) Turkey baster and remove what you can and fill. Start up car, lift front, and run steering wheel back and forth a bunch of times. Repeat. End with turning wheel back and forth with engine OFF.

2) TWO PERSON JOB (at least two). Pull return hose to PS reservior and place in suitable container. Have able body ready on ignition switch. Plug hose input to reservior. Refill reservior with fresh fluid. Open container of fluid, and get ready to pour. Instruct able body on ign. switch that they should be ready to start car and equally ready to turn off car. Instruct able body to turn on car and begin pouring - as you get near end of container instruct able body to shut the car off. Repeat until fluid runs clear from return hose. It will go fast be ready. Repeat back and forth operation between steps as above and end with back and forth with engine off. If PS fluid foams or aerates, keep repeating the back and forth with the steering wheel until all the air is out. Don't let is run dry.

Pete
Old 12-27-2001, 09:47 PM
mountainmotor
Drifting

Dextron III.As the above post recommended to get something to suck it out with.Then refill and run it and do it again several times until you get the old fluid out of there.
Old 12-27-2001, 10:22 PM
PeteL
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Power Steering Fluid (mountainmotor)

NO, not Dextron III transmission fluid. Modern PS fluid is different. You can get away with Dextron III in a PS system, but good PS fluid is superior and is engineered to make PS components last longer. That does not mean PepBoys generic PS fluid. It means what I said above: Valvoline (probably good), GM winter PS fluid (doubt you could go wrong), and perhaps RedLine (a company which I don't usually use, but perhaps makes a decent PS fluid).
Old 12-27-2001, 10:32 PM
Kale
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the same problem. Flushed it with Valvoline fluid, it solvedi t for a day. Replaced the pump, and it runs like new!
Old 12-27-2001, 11:15 PM
PeteL
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Power Steering Fluid (Smash)

I like to flush the PS fluid every 30,000 or so.

There, that's a better post.

Pete

[Modified by PeteL, 5:11 PM 12/28/2001]
Old 12-27-2001, 11:45 PM
Aggravated4life
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: Power Steering Fluid

I did the fluid-flush and change when I felt the morning sickness start...was worse in the winter time of course.

I did this every year for 5 years after the problem started and was able to prolong the life of the rack and pump for 5-6 years before one day got bad enough for me to quit ingoring it and replace the rack and pump the same time.

I used valvoline synthetic PS fluid and it seems to have helped some.I dont have a preference for the PS fluid, but I wont use trans. fluid in this sytem.I figured synthetic couldnt hurt.

I agree that the PS fluid should be changed on a good timely interval.It cannot hurt to do so.With a new rack and pump in the car,and new hoses,Im going to do this every year.If the fluid is still clean ill just siphon the reservoir out and refill.Do again in a few hours then check it every oil change as i always do.
Would like to make these new parts last me a very long time.

Every C4 will need a rack..especially the earlier models when the first designs came out.But amazingly,some have survived all these years with incredible mileage and age.
:)

Old 12-28-2001, 02:07 PM
Fastguy
Team Owner

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'05

Default Re: Power Steering Fluid (Bill's86Coupe)

Mine is silent whether its 0* or 95* UNLESS I drive it hard. If I come off a ramp under throttle with the wheel cranked, I get noise. I can cruise for hours with no problem but the minute I drive it hard, I get noise. Pump or rack?
Old 12-28-2001, 02:10 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: Power Steering Fluid (Bill's86Coupe)

When I had the rack on my '87 go out, and the fluid had that dark metallic look about it, I was amazed at the sludge on bottom of reservoir, it was a LOT, over two tablespoons full ....I just changed both pump and rack and had done with it, cleaned out system of course....

as for the tranny fluids, one of two things, either never change it, or change tranny fluids once every 2 years or so....30k miles....

changing tranny fluids on a tranny that has brown fluid allready will shorten it's life....long explanation, but I have been there done that several times.....and someone explained to me what happens....short form is the new fluid washes out the sludge from allready leaking/brittle O ring seals, and that allows internal leakage and hense...additional slipping on allready tired clutches.....next winter morning, it's over....

GENE
Old 12-28-2001, 04:09 PM
Brian Madderom
Instructor

Default Re: Power Steering Fluid (mountainmotor)

DO NOT use tranny fluid in power steering systems. The seals are different in a transmission than in any power steering systems. The tranny fluid will eat the seals in power steering pumps and racks and cause them to leak. I recommend using high end power steering fluid only, no cheap stuff!
Old 12-28-2001, 04:19 PM
JAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Re: Power Steering Fluid (Brian Madderom)

I just bought two bottles of Prestone Power Steering Fluid from WalMart a few days ago ($1.97 each) and changed my P/S fluid.

I agree not to use trans fluid in the system although I know some guys who still do.

Jake
Old 12-28-2001, 05:26 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: Power Steering Fluid (JAKE)

You know, JAKE, as you probably remember, decades ago we could use ATF for power steering and it never failed, that's all there was...basically....
but of course NOW a daze...they have to make a simple issue complicated...and you are right, modern ATF will eat a modern power steering system up quickly....
as in why bother to engineer something to be complicated and induce failures????

another rant...sorry....

GENE

Get notified of new replies

To Power Steering Fluid

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Power Steering Fluid