C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Power seats stopped working and circuit breaker HOT

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 04:24 PM
josephf31
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Power seats stopped working and circuit breaker HOT

Well, just about done putting my interior back together, was testing the passenger side power seat switch, when suddenly both power seat controls stopped working, and got a faint whiff of that awful electrical burning smell, so I quickly disconnected the battery.

After some checking, the WDO circuit breaker in the fuse box was too hot to even touch -- I waited a good half hour or so for everything to cool down, swapped out the circuit breaker with another one, and...still no power seats, and the "replacement" circuit breaker again got very very hot.

I have the battery unhooked now for safety, question is what could have gone wrong? I did notice the diode on the bottom of the power seat switch control appeared to be toasted when I was putting it back together, but to my understanding the diode is not essential for the operation of the seats...???

Any ideas/comments/suggestions greatly appreciated, thanks again! I have the standard seats not the sports seats BTW

Joe
1991 L98 auto
Old 07-21-2008, 05:05 PM
TPIGUY
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had the same problem in my 91 coupe. One of the connectors in the adjust switch or the switch itself shorted to ground causing a cinstant draw on the battery. I removed the fuse until I had time to troubleshoot and repair the problem. The electrical section of the FSM was a big help. If you dont have a copy I would be glad to mail or fax you a copy.(of the seat wiring)
Old 07-22-2008, 11:13 AM
josephf31
Pro

Default Fix?

Thanks for the update, I have to check it out...how exactly did you end up fixing the problem, did you replace/repair the seat switch(es) and/or power seat motor(s)? Thanks again.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:19 PM
josephf31
Pro

Default I think I found the problem...now how to fix it?

Well, I am pretty sure I found the problem -- disconnected the power connector to the window switch in the console; no more superheated circuit breaker, and seats work if reconnect the power (I have it apart not, see below)...now how to fix it?

In the power connector for the power seat switch on the console (standard seats not sport and no FX3) there *was* (key word) a diode across 2 terminals -- the diode is no longer there, from either an overheat situation or a short to the (always) hot orange wire.

I can patch up the wiring easy enough, the question is, do I really need to replace the diode? What does it do, exactly, and what are the specs for it? (can't find them in the FSM).

Lastly, if I can leave it out should I snip off the bare wire ends of what is left of the diode or are they harmless?

Appreciate the help all, thanks!

Joe

1991 L98 auto
Old 07-22-2008, 11:10 PM
RACER 1993
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those diodes are in there to snuff spikes caused by motors. I would put it back in. You can buy them at Radio Shack.

I'm not sure what the amperage is, maybe someone else can tell you.

When you replace it make sure you tape it up good.

Your other problem may be a motor going bad, I have a bolster in my sports seats that is locked up and needs replaced. I just have it disconnected for now.

Get notified of new replies

To Power seats stopped working and circuit breaker HOT

Quick Reply: Power seats stopped working and circuit breaker HOT