C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Wiper Blades Crashed, HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2001, 04:25 AM
TIMSPEED
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Wiper Blades Crashed, HELP!

The wiper blades on my 87 crashed into each other last night! I noticed that they were kinda acting funny. Then all of a sudden, I clicked the little button downwards (to turn the wipers on once) and on the way back down, they hit each other...then SNAPPED down. Any ideas of what's going on? It seems that my drivers side wiper arm is like slow...could my motor be bad? blades just need replacing?(because the blade is dragging and making the wiper go slow). Any ideas? It's pouring cats and dogs and I need a car to drive!
Old 12-29-2001, 07:28 AM
Rich B.
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Wiper Blades Crashed, HELP! (TIMSPEED)

IIRC, there is a Tech article on this. The cure is to convert to '95 arms and wipers. 18carfan can help here; Jeff got me all the correct parts to convert my '86.
Old 12-29-2001, 08:45 AM
GUMPA
Drifting

Or just buy a Blade that is 1" shorter for the driver's side..... :yesnod:
Old 12-29-2001, 12:40 PM
jimfl
Intermediate

Timspeed, Like a lot of us I don't drive in the rain very often, so, I experienced the wiper collision on my 87 in a fast moving storm and could'nt believe what was happening :confused: I went with the Tech fix that Rich B mentioned (thanks again 18carfan) and it did solve the problem. regards, jim
Old 12-29-2001, 01:00 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

the upgrade is well worth it... not only don't the wipers crash, but the wiper action is much better... the new arms are stronger and have a stouter spring on them, which makes them wipe better!

you can call Jeff at 1-800-728-8267
Old 12-29-2001, 02:08 PM
Rich B.
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Wiper Blades Crashed, HELP! (jimfl)

I went with the Tech fix mentioned (thanks again 18carfan) and it did solve the problem
C4 Wiper Tip http://www.corvetteforum.cc/techtips...D=42&TopicID=2
Old 12-29-2001, 02:22 PM
kola
Intermediate

As you can see, this a common problem. I installed 19 inch wipers to cure this problem (stock wipers are 20 inches). The 1 inch difference is split between a 1/2 inch shorter on the "top" of the wiper and a 1/2 inch shorter on the "bottom" of the wiper, so its not like the shorter wiper is not clearing the window properly. In fact, I cannot tell the difference. The replacements I purchased are the same brand that came stock on my Vette. The replacements cost $8 a piece.

Using shorter wipers, in my opinion, is cheaper, easier, and as effective as any other method.

Get notified of new replies

To Wiper Blades Crashed, HELP!

Quick Reply: Wiper Blades Crashed, HELP!