C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Basic scanning questions

Old 07-30-2008, 11:57 AM
jrogensk
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09
Default Basic scanning questions

I am trying to understand the basics of scanning an engine (OBDI). I may get into tuning later, but right now I just want to hook up to the car and see what is going on. Can anyone tell me if what I am doing is correct?

Here is what I have so far:

I bought an ALDL USB cable for OBDI that will connect the car to my laptop. Looking at the software sites I have downloaded TunerPro RT and WinALDL packages. This is where I am getting a bit confused. I think I need some definition files in order for the software to read what is on the ECM. Is that correct?

I will be scanning my 1993 Corvette and a 1986 Camaro Z28. I downloaded two .ads files from TunerPro's web site. A file called 1227165_160.ads for the Camaro, and another called LT1_1992-93.ads for the Corvette.

Can I use TunerPro to scan both vehicles? I think the Camaro is 160 baud and the Corvette is 8192 baud. I downloaded WinALDL in case I needed it for the Camaro.

What are the differences between the ALDL Definition files and the bin files? Are the bin files only necessary for tuning? I have read a lot if information on line but most if it is specific to tuning, not really about just scanning.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:45 PM
Eddie & the Cruisers
Burning Brakes

Just to scan the ECM all you need is TTS DataMaster PowerTrain Diagnostics Software located @ http://www.ttspowersystems.com/DataMaster.html and the cable you bought to connect the ALDL connector and your computer.
This will give you what I call, "In English" readings, not codes that only a tuner guy understands. You can use it for 20 free downloads of the ECM data in real-time while the car is running/driven.

For programming or tuning, you need Tuner or RT Tuner, (RT) for real-time tuning for cars that have chips that needs to be burned to re-program, but can be used with an emulator attached to the chip for 'real-time' tuning/programming as stated below. I think you still have to burn the prop when you find the tune you need/want.

"C.A.T.S. RT Tuner was developed to allow ‘real-time’ ECM tuning when connected to the Xtronics (www.xtronics.com) Romulator or the Craig Moates AutoProm (http://moates.net) EPROM emulators that you can purchase from the links."

With C.A.T.S. Tuner or RT Tuner, though free for 30 days, you will have to buy the definition files ($XX) for both cars at $19.95 each. Both work with Tuner or RT Tuner. To tune for more than the 30 day free time, you will have to register/purchase one of the programs for $69.95 or $99.95 (RT) to keep using it.

You will need to purchase the $32 definition file for the Camaro (B Body) and $DA2 definition file for the LT1 Corvette (Y Body), except ZR1, to use Tuner or the RT Tuner software. You can buy just Tuner and if you decide to try tuning on your own, buy the RT Upgrade for Tuner for $30.00 more.

The correct baud rate is automatically selected by the software during the "hand-shaking/sync" mode.

I'm not sure what the xxxxxx.ads files are. Files you upload to a PCM/programmable prom are .bin files. I'm not a tuner guy. Now that I have you thoroughly confused, I'm
Others here can give you better information.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:49 PM
jrogensk
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '09

Thanks Eddie. You didn't really confuse me any more than I already am. The problem I am having is with just the scanning part. The .ads file is a file used by TunerPro RT in order to allow the software to scan the cars computer. I downloaded the file directly from the TunerPro website. Maybe I need the bin file also.

I should give some more info:

I am using a Compaq Presario 1655 laptop running Win98. I installed the software packages mentioned in the first post, then installed the drivers for the ALDL cable according to it's instructions.

When I connected the cable to the car I could not make a connection. I was using TunerPro RT and made sure the settings in the software were correct - COM2, .ads file loaded, ignition key in 'on' position. I kept receiving the message 'ALDL connection failed'. I am going to uninstall the ALDL driver and reinstall it, and maybe try another .ads file.

Any ideas anyone?
Old 07-31-2008, 09:07 PM
jrogensk
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '09

I changed the COM port from 2 to 5, now it works.

I also installed DataMaster and was able to pull the data. It didn't save the log file so I must have not set it up right. I will read the manual, but at least it is working.
Old 07-31-2008, 11:11 PM
Eddie & the Cruisers
Burning Brakes

Glad you got it working. The manual will help you get prepared for the next step that will be popping up.
I'm using a serial cable and the COM ports are easy to identify and set. I've heard the USB ALDL cables had trouble at first with the 1.1 and 2.0 types syncing, but I think they have that worked out now for most computers.

I searched my drive and don't have any .ads files, so they must be used exclusively with RT Tuner and I'm using just Tuner. So I guess that's why they were unknown to me.

Yeah, Datamaster is a program you have to use a couple of times to get used to it and how to save the data file. I'm talking off the top of my head now, but you have to give the session a name to save the data file after you are through running the data you want, and it is not that intuitive but an excellent program.
It would be easier for me if I could use the mouse to do the steps. I hate laptop keyboards because I can't see the keys well and especially the finger mousing.

Good luck and it is interesting to see how your car can run from a bunch of numbers in tables. Eddie
Old 08-01-2008, 02:30 PM
jrogensk
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '09

I'm using an old Compaq laptop I bought in 1998. I hadn't turned it on in about 5 years so I was surprised it still worked. The battery will not hold a charge though. I am having a few issues with it. It will sometimes have problems booting up and shutting down. I will probably end up rebuilding it if I can find the original CDs.

It also does not have a network card, just a phone jack. So downloading updates is going to be an issue as I no longer have a dial up service. I am going to look into getting a wireless network card, if Win98 can support one.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:04 PM
Eddie & the Cruisers
Burning Brakes

If you can get the computer stabilized on boot-up, and if the computer has a PCMCIA slot in it, you can use PCMCIA wireless card in that slot, or you might use a USB adapter as long as either is 802.11b compatible. I don't think you can run a 802.11g on Win 98.

You can go to the link below and it gives fairly good instructions to set up a laptop with Win 98/ME operating systems. Just ignore the part about the college campuses mentioned because you probably aren't close to any of them anyway and I don't know how update this web site is. Perhaps you have a personal network on your desktop that has wireless access that you can connect to.

http://www.willamette.edu/wits/resou...s/win98-me.htm

I have an old HP w/Win ME O/S that I've replaced the battery on and it still will not take a full charge. I bought a 12V inverter that plugs into the cigarette lighter from R/S that has a 120V/12V outputs that is rated at 150amps for laptops. I just plug in my laptop 120V cord into it while at the car for data logging and programming. Just be sure your car battery is at full charge when doing this.

Get notified of new replies

To Basic scanning questions

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Basic scanning questions