C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Rear alternator bracket fab

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 10:57 AM
cplonner
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear alternator bracket fab

My car is stranded at my friends apartment. My alternator bracket broke due to not having the rear bracket in because it would not fit with my hooker headers.
Too save me a trip, what size bolt is it that goes to the back of the alternator and what size for the header bolts? Im going to fab up the rear bracket like a bunch of other people have done.
I gotta repair this thing at his apartment so I wanted to bring everthing I needed in one trip.
Old 08-27-2008, 01:32 PM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

I've got Hedman's instead of Hookers so there may be a difference but all I did was make a spacer out of tubing the exact length of the original manifold, used the original bolt and the original brace. If this will work for you it's a heck of a lot easier than a lot of fabricating on a custom piece.
Old 08-28-2008, 05:00 AM
REDC4CORVETTE
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The bolt in the back of the alt is metric.I went to ace hardware,got a metric stud and installed it in the back of the altanator.I used a piece of copper 1/2 tubing and crushed one end and dirlled a hole in it and used a felt pen to draw where i needed to crush the other end and drill a hole.I used my grinder to round the ends.I got another stud for the header and screwed it into the head and made sure it was longer than the tube and installed a nut to tighten up the header and installed 2 nuts on the stud to hold the coppper tube in place.The header bolt is american.I can't remember the sizes.You can also get a piece of chain and a turn buckle and secure the chain and turn buckle to the back of the alt with the stock bolt and connect the other end to the header bolt.
Old 08-28-2008, 11:09 AM
cplonner
Burning Brakes

I saw ski dwn it used the original brace and bent one end so it would bolt to the first header bolt. Im gonna give that a shot. Once the brace I ordered from vette2vette comes in.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:55 PM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

If the brace you are waiting for is the same as the one on my '85 it will bolt directly to the third from the front header bolt with no bending needed, just the spacer I described, (very poorly) in my post above. I just made a spacer that was the same length as the integral spacer on the original manifold.
Old 08-28-2008, 04:23 PM
cplonner
Burning Brakes

When I ordered the bracket I told the guy it was for an 86. Are they different?
Old 08-28-2008, 05:53 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by cplonner
My alternator bracket broke due to not having the rear bracket in because it would not fit with my hooker headers.
How long before it broke (after header installation?) How briskly was it being run?

BTW: A couple of other ideas for mounts can be seen in the Tri-Y header status thread. Towards the end of that thread, you'll see pics on what a couple of those owners used.
Old 08-28-2008, 06:02 PM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by cplonner
When I ordered the bracket I told the guy it was for an 86. Are they different?
I'm not sure, mine is a tubular piece that is flattened at each end, the alternator end already has a spacer made on it that is about an inch long, the other end is just flat and there is where I made the spacer
so it would fit just like stock. I know the upper bracket for an '85 is all by itself so maybe this particular piece is too. ???
Old 08-28-2008, 10:52 PM
cplonner
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GREGGPENN
How long before it broke (after header installation?) How briskly was it being run?

BTW: A couple of other ideas for mounts can be seen in the Tri-Y header status thread. Towards the end of that thread, you'll see pics on what a couple of those owners used.
First the alternator houseing broke. That took about three years with some spirited driving. Then it just broke the alternator bracket. This only took about a month. I didnt drive it nearly as much the second time it broke, but I definately drove it hard when I did.

Get notified of new replies

To Rear alternator bracket fab

Quick Reply: Rear alternator bracket fab