C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Symptoms of a bad/dirty MAF ?

Old 08-30-2008, 05:02 PM
_twisted_
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Symptoms of a bad/dirty MAF ?

Help me out here, did your K&N make your MAF act up?

I cleaned my filter about 2 months ago, all was ok until recently.

The car runs ok, but when I lug it around in OD within 1/4 mile it starts to die then a slight buck, throws a code 33, and stalls out

SHut it down, Check ENgine light goes out and drive home in D and it hasn't thrown a code.

Old 08-30-2008, 05:24 PM
cwyates4
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

33 is MAF high voltage...if your wire was dirty, I think you would see a 34 pop up. Wouldn't hurt to clean it, but I'd be looking at other things...like the possibility of a vacuum leak.
Old 08-30-2008, 05:27 PM
engle1147
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Had that happen once - the engine made a big bang under hard power while going about 50 MPH then the car died....but it restarted and I dove it home at about 20mph which is all the thing could muster. The thin MAF wire inside was fried - K&N oil all inside the MAF. Your problem should have shown up before 2 months though...mine only took a few days. Check your MAF wire...if it's intact change the 2 MAF relays.

Well at least I now know how much filter oil is too much.

Good Luck!
Old 08-30-2008, 11:56 PM
theadmiral94
Drifting

Location: 1994 LT1 Coupe 6-speed with FX3 & 2000 LS1 Vert 6-Speed with F45 Hunterdon County, NJ
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It does sound like a dirty MAF (our 94 never gave a code, but it did stumble at 1100-1200 RPM and buck a bit at 1600-1700 RPM.

Once I cleaned the TB, IAC and MAF (using the CRC products specifically for each), the stumble and bucking both stopped.

After reading about concerns about the K&N Filter oil migrating into the MAF, and also a comparision of filters (which showed K&N allowed more dirt through), I also removed the K&N filter and switched to a paper filter (NAPA GOLD), especially since it is only a street car.

BTW, I also found some oily dirt on the engine side of the MAF. I concluded the PCV valve was original and most probably the spring inside was weak and allowing the PCV to close prematurely, causing engine blow-by to be forced backward towards the TB and the backside of the MAF (also found one of those 'airfoils' in the intake, which I removed too).

I posted additional info about this a few weeks ago, try doing a search for my id and MAF to find it...
Old 08-31-2008, 03:14 AM
juanway
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by _twisted_
Help me out here, did your K&N make your MAF act up?

I cleaned my filter about 2 months ago, all was ok until recently.

The car runs ok, but when I lug it around in OD within 1/4 mile it starts to die then a slight buck, throws a code 33, and stalls out

SHut it down, Check ENgine light goes out and drive home in D and it hasn't thrown a code.

Take that K&n filter and get your money back it has a life time warranty and find a wix air filter . that K&n sets to close to the MAF
I have had 2 Maf taken out, to see if it is the MAF unplug it and the computor in the car will go to set default settings and then start you r vette and I bet it runs better. That K&N filter left me standed in Taos , New Mexico.
Old 08-31-2008, 06:10 PM
formul89
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 94 is throwing code H48-MAF. I cleaned the TB, IAC and sprayed the MAF insides with MAF cleaner and it runs better with it disconnected. I can at least drive it that way, but plugged in the engine runs awful.

I'm stumped.
Old 08-31-2008, 06:17 PM
cwyates4
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Uh, Me thinks you need to check for power to the maf. If power is there, maf is probably toast.

Get notified of new replies

To Symptoms of a bad/dirty MAF ?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Symptoms of a bad/dirty MAF ?