C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

C4 - Acceleraton hesitation/sputter?

Old 09-19-2008, 06:58 PM
luvchevs
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Default C4 - Acceleraton hesitation/sputter?

Just noticed the car seems to have a hesitation/sputter when accelerating. Any ideas/suggestions on what would cause this and possible fixes?

Dave
Old 09-19-2008, 07:31 PM
1971Coupe
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by luvchevs
Just noticed the car seems to have a hesitation/sputter when accelerating. Any ideas/suggestions on what would cause this and possible fixes?

Dave

not familiar with C4's, but I had that problem once and it was the fuel filter. :o
Old 09-19-2008, 08:22 PM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,190 Posts

Could be the optispark, but before you go spending megabucks on a new one, start by changing all the plugs and wires.

I had a similar problem on my 95 Formula (same LT1 engine) and I thought for sure the optispark was toast and it turned out to be a bad spark plug. On another occasion I couldn't get the car started for a half hour, and also thought the opti was toast, and that turned out to be a burnt coil wire.
Old 09-19-2008, 10:14 PM
sami85L98
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

U got pretty good advises from 2 members, just check usual small stuff, like plug wires, change fuel filter, if nothing solves than opti-crap, thats a real tuff one, thats one of the reason i did not buy LT4, Oh yeah clean MAF sensor, TB ...GL on finding problem.

One of the great experience on my previous C4 (L98), on drag raceway pit area, i change all spark plugs, but forgot to hook one plug wire, car started fine, and i raced it, crap hesitation, exhaust back fire sputtering, came back to pit area, and checking here n there, luckily on stang guy (good guy), pointed out plug wire hangin loose. hooked up ran fine, a gain of full 1 sec in 1/4 mile, than he siad if u loose one cylinder, its a loss of 25% power which i believe.

Another incident, Clean the TB with a paper towel, but a small piece of paper stuck there in butterfly, same problem, running like crap, after 2 hrs of struggle i found out that paper stuck in TB, removed it there u go.

Fuel filters on C4 are easy to replace and cheap too.

GL on finding, let us know how it goes. Sami.
Old 09-21-2008, 05:49 PM
FireRoc
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

What kind of gas are you using? If it's Esso, I would suggest changing to something else for a couple of tankfuls.

I had this problem with a '98 LS1 Firebird and my wife's '94 C4. When starting to accelerate, the engine (in both cars) would stumble slightly, then start to accelerate slowly, then it would come on strongly.

We stopped using Esso and the problem went away. We now use Sunoco 94 or Shell premium.
Old 11-13-2008, 09:50 AM
Casper
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My '89 did this and after changing the plugs, cap and wires, it was clogged injectors.
Old 11-13-2008, 11:01 AM
Andrew
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

It could also be the plug wires.

Tonight, get the car in as dark of a place you can find, start the car, open the hood, and look for electrical arcing. This worked for me when a plug wire got too close to the header and burned a hole in it.

Get notified of new replies

To C4 - Acceleraton hesitation/sputter?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C4 - Acceleraton hesitation/sputter?