C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Help! No tail, runnig or marker lights, dash dim

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 07:11 PM
furrball
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! No tail, runnig or marker lights, dash dim

It's not a fuse! I've pulled every fuse, they are all good!

Dash lights: When I turn on the key all dash lights come on bright and then dim after a few seconds. During the daytime I can see everything just fine! At night with the headlights on I can see everything I need to see but it is very dim (Really got to squint hard, got old man eyes)and the dimmer switch makes no difference at all! Can't be a bulb because when the key is first switched on, EVERYTHING lights up bright!

My fog lights do not work.

When I turn on the headlamps they pop open and work just fine. I have brights, I have dims. I do not have ANY tail lights, side marker lights of park/running lights. I DO have brake lights, turn signals and back up lights.

All of these symptoms happened/appeared at the same time! I drove it to the store and everything worker. I came out of the store and......

Where do I start?

I'll check back tomorrow for answers,... thanks for your help!
Old 09-30-2008, 07:37 PM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

What year ??
Old 09-30-2008, 11:27 PM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Fuses should be checked with an ohmeter, they see much better than you or I. The 10 amp tail fuse supplies power to a lot of stuff including the marker, license plate, stop and turn signal lights and the instrument cluster (also the dimmer control). Use a voltmeter and measure the voltage on both sides of the tail fuse. The tail fuse receives battery power all the time and you should see 12v on both sides of the fuse. If no 12v either side, you need to check the fusible link that powers the tail fuse. Early C4's have a bolt behind the battery with 8 wires on it, all have fusible links. You can use two needles (to pierce the wire insulation) and your ohmeter to determine if each fusible link is good. Later C4's have a block of fuses near the battery and you would need to check these fuses.
Always post what year vette you are asking help for, you will get better information. No one here is clairvoyant!
Old 10-01-2008, 12:29 PM
furrball
5th Gear

Default Furrball here

It's an 85 model.

Something interesting I noticed yesterday is that during the day I can read all the gauges & instrument clusters fine, if I cover the light sensor with my fingertip it goes dark as it does at night, dark like can't even see it during daylight.

I appreciate the help and support,...

This is my second vette, I had a 76 model before I had kids and now that most of them are out of the house I thought I found a great deal on this 85, it looks beautiful with a flawless finish and great interior but I think I got a lemon.

Everything worked when I bought it but 200 miles later it seems everything is going to $#!+!!!! The Doug Nash quit shifting into OD, now its just a 4 speed.

I'll get my lights working and then start on the next problem.
Old 10-01-2008, 03:14 PM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

http://members.shaw.ca/dankai/Exterior%20Lights.pdf
Old 10-01-2008, 06:15 PM
CorvetteArchives
Intermediate

Hello again! I think you posted on another forum when it got worse? It does sound like a ground problem...the dash and headlight switch share the same ground.

Originally Posted by furrball
It's an 85 model.

Something interesting I noticed yesterday is that during the day I can read all the gauges & instrument clusters fine, if I cover the light sensor with my fingertip it goes dark as it does at night, dark like can't even see it during daylight.
Its suppossed to do that. Its GM's way of telling you..."HEY! Its Now Night..TURN YOUR LIGHTS ON!"
They were afraid if the dash didnt dim people actually would forget to turn their lights on since digital dash would be bright ...as if they had turned their lights on on a standard dash.

Last edited by CorvetteArchives; 10-01-2008 at 06:22 PM.
Old 10-01-2008, 06:51 PM
furrball
5th Gear

Default Thanks,... I'm an idiot!

After all my insistance that it was not a fuse,... guess what?

Held it up to the light and couldn't see a break in it. Gave it to my friend who has better eye sight and he didn't see a break in it either.

Tested it with an ohm meter and SURPRISE!!!!!! #@*)# things broken!

Thanks for the help!
Old 10-01-2008, 11:05 PM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Read and comprehend the first sentence in my post!
Old 12-22-2008, 12:51 AM
RQB
1st Gear

I have a similar problem with my 85 vette. My display is dim, accept all lights work outside car and instrument display is working, but not bright at all. The difference is that my turn signal and high beam indicator are on all the time and dim like the instrument display should. When I turn on the signals, the green arrows blink as they should. and the high beam indicator is in reverse, when the high beams are on the blue indicator is off, and when the highs are off, the indicator is on. I checked every fuse in the fuse box on the driver's side. The car runs fine. The voltage looks good according to the indicator (14.1 volts) Where on earth should I be checking? this is strange.......
Old 12-22-2008, 01:03 AM
Redeasysport
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Originally Posted by RQB
I have a similar problem with my 85 vette. My display is dim, accept all lights work outside car and instrument display is working, but not bright at all. The difference is that my turn signal and high beam indicator are on all the time and dim like the instrument display should. When I turn on the signals, the green arrows blink as they should. and the high beam indicator is in reverse, when the high beams are on the blue indicator is off, and when the highs are off, the indicator is on. I checked every fuse in the fuse box on the driver's side. The car runs fine. The voltage looks good according to the indicator (14.1 volts) Where on earth should I be checking? this is strange.......
Sounds like the High beam switch in the steering column is reversed to me.Could also be the cluster ground. The dash dimmness is controlled but the head light switch it has a little lever on the left side that goes up and down.
Old 12-22-2008, 01:06 AM
engle1147
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RQB
Your problem sounds like very much like a bad ground.....dim or no display and turn signals on is default conditon caused within the dash cluster when there is a poor grounding issue. You may want to check out this DIY site:http://www.batee.com/corvette/dcrg/index.shtml
Or you can ship the cluster to someone who will repair it for you.

Get notified of new replies

To Help! No tail, runnig or marker lights, dash dim

Quick Reply: Help! No tail, runnig or marker lights, dash dim