C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Brakes O plenty

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 11:17 AM
rte203
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes O plenty

What is the most likely thing to cause My Front calipers to lock up driving down the road? Would it be Master cylinder or calipers: Just a note the car sat 9 years, I drove it, the right front caliper locked up, so I replace both front calipers and pad, Pumped the fluid utill it was clear thru the brake lines, They work fine for two Months Now they are lockin up again. The guy At the Parts store said It was the Booster, I just dont agree with that. Please help with any suggetions.
Old 10-08-2008, 03:26 PM
coupeguy2001
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Finalist

Default brakes

The guy at the auto parts store is possibly right.
The booster has an adjustment bolt in the middle of it where the master cyl. bolts on. If it is out too far, it can possibly press on the master cylinder piston and allow fluid to flow to the brakes.
That said, you should be like Inspector Cleusseau, and get out your magnifying glass and go to work.
1. release the fluid pressure at the bleeders, make sure the front rotors are free, then start the car up, and watch the bleeder hose for pressure with the bleeder cracked.
If there's pressure, loosen the master cyl. bolts and see if the pressure goes away. If it does, the master is pressing on the adjustment bolt too tightly, and you have to back it off a little bit
OR see if the brake pedal under the dash needs to be adjusted, or something is keeping the pedal from returning all the way, causing this.
Old 10-09-2008, 06:48 AM
rte203
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ill give that a try, Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To Brakes O plenty

Quick Reply: Brakes O plenty