C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Last try at fixing, or the vette is sold!!! Any help out there!?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 04:37 PM
cwyates4
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Last try at fixing, or the vette is sold!!! Any help out there!?

PROBLEM SOLVED!!! see post 33 for the cure!

I've had it with this idle issue!

Car will not idle under its own power when cold, dies/bucks/stalls. When warm, car idles good, but choppy and dies at times. Runs great with throttle though, perfect!

If i disconnect the est (timing wire), the car idles just fine when its cold or warm, not even close to trying to die. Doesn't respond to throttle as well, because the lack of spark advance.

So...A question I need answered: Does disconnecting the est put the computer in "limp mode"? If so, then i figure I've got a bad sensor somewhere. If not, then something isn't right with the spark advance/retard when the est is connected. I should also note, the car runs rich, but not as bad with the est disconnected.

By making the car run smoothly with just a wire unplugged, I can eliminate air flow, fuel pressure, vacuum leaks, and internal problems from the circle (unless the computer is in fact being put in "limp mode", then airflow is a possibility). It also eliminates spark plugs and wires. It would seem to point to the est module, but it is brand new. Maybe the knock sensor, computer, or a bad ground in the est circuit could be the culprit.

I really need some people here to do some critical thinking, because I am stuck. If I don't figure this out soon, I'm trading it for a mustang and cash....yes...a mustang! Please don't let me do that!!!

If I need to, i can make two short videos of the car to help. One with the est connected and another with it disconnected. Huge difference!

Last edited by cwyates4; 10-28-2008 at 07:49 PM.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:00 PM
LTxDave
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 50 Posts

It sounds like my old S10 ran with a bad coolant sensor.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:34 PM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

Corda, I'm at a loss, I sure wish you could find another ecm just to try it out. Did you see what Vette2Vette wanted for the '85 ecm? They just got the car in and it is a good ecm. Tell Jay I told you to call.
You've went through too much to drop it now.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:12 PM
0Paul Ruggeri
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you had a scanner hooked up? This will tell you if you're in open or closed loop and give you a chance to look at sensor readings.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:15 PM
cwyates4
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Paul Ruggeri
Have you had a scanner hooked up? This will tell you if you're in open or closed loop and give you a chance to look at sensor readings.
No, I haven't. I tried to get my laptop to connect with diacom, tunerpro rt, and win aldl all to no avail. They all connect, and show me spark advance tables and such, but I can't see any aldl info with them. Any idea on a scanner that will do this, tech 1 maybe?

Mr. Dave. That really looks like it could be the cause, but then why does it run perfect with the est disconnected? Also, the cts is new, and ohmed out correctly.

Chuck, you are right. I really need to stick with it. And no, I haven't called about the ecm, it kinda slipped my mind. :o I will get to that asap.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:36 PM
tequilaboy
Melting Slicks

Received 253 Likes on 212 Posts

The spark advance varies as a function of load and rpm. With the est disconnected you essentially have fixed spark advance. This is not ideal, but it is stable at the least.

During normal function, as load and rpm vary the spark advance is also varying. The idea is to have the spark advance table designed to provide relatively constant torque in the vicinity of the desired idle rpm, so that small variations in rpm do not result in large torque swings and small changes in airflow through the IAC are sufficient to control the idle.

In your case, this is breaking down somewhere, likely due to a combination of mixtue error and an unstable spark table relative to the engine's mods.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:41 PM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

Originally Posted by tequilaboy
The spark advance varies as a function of load and rpm. With the est disconnected you essentially have fixed spark advance. This is not ideal, but it is stable at the least.

During normal function, as load and rpm vary the spark advance is also varying. The idea is to have the spark advance table designed to provide relatively constant torque in the vicinity of the desired idle rpm, so that small variations in rpm do not result in large torque swings and small changes in airflow through the IAC are sufficient to control the idle.

In your case, this is breaking down somewhere, likely due to a combination of mixtue error and an unstable spark table relative to the engine's mods.
Oh, how I wish I was smart enough to know what you just said, and better yet what to do about it. I bow to you sir.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:54 PM
car5car
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Vacuum leak, idle speed motor.
I just replaced ISM in my Jeep
Old 10-27-2008, 07:25 PM
tequilaboy
Melting Slicks

Received 253 Likes on 212 Posts

Here's what we know about the car:

Mods
Forged 383, GMPP aluminum fast burn heads, TPIS mini ram intake, TPIS solid roller cam, Holley 58 mm TB, Bosch 30lb injectors, afpr, TPIS long tubes, built 700r4, 2800 stall, Dana 44 with 3.45s, greenwood body kit, Z51 handling, 11" rears with MT et streets, custom flowmaster exaust, and free stuff.

What we don't know is what is in the tune. I'm assuming it already has a custom tune, but I didn't see it listed.

A cammed car is going to want more idle rpm and more (and relatively flat) spark advance around the target rpm.

I'd guess that this combination will need around 900 rpm and around 28-32 degrees of advance in the region of 800-1200 rpm to idle with any sort of stability.

What is the spark advance and desired idle rpm in the present tune?

For mixture: fuel pressure, MAF calibration, injector constants, the injector low pulse width offsets and battery voltage offsets will also come into play and are possible sources of error.

Last edited by tequilaboy; 10-27-2008 at 07:32 PM.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:27 PM
-js-
Racer

Originally Posted by tequilaboy

OK so he can't get his scanner to work. How about if we try to isolate the sensors used.
MAF <--- Can we disconnect it and still have timing advance?
TPS <--- You can measure the voltage out the sensor.
RPM <--- Hmmm How could we do this one without scanning?
Any others ??????

If He did get it to scan I think the 85 is 160 baud and the 10k resistor puts the ECM in a diagnostic mode and it stays in that mode unlike the later ECMs that have 8192 baud that return to normal operation and keep sending sensor data.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:21 PM
LTxDave
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by cwyates4
Mr. Dave. That really looks like it could be the cause, but then why does it run perfect with the est disconnected? Also, the cts is new, and ohmed out correctly.
There are two "coolant" sensors. One is for the gauge and one by the ECM (or at least on the GM cars I had in the 80's). I cannot say for sure, but I think when you disable the timing that it would go into open loop. If you disconnect the MAF, it should go into open loop so that may be another way of verifying.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:47 PM
YCarnut
Intermediate

Nice engine mods.
Have you checked the TBS. Should be set to .54 Volt +/- .075 Volt . Another thing to look at might be the minimum idle speed adjustment. If the idle speed is set too low, then the IAC may not be able to pass enough air to keep a cold engine running. If you adjust the min idle speed, you must then re-set the TBS.

Hope this helps…
Old 10-27-2008, 09:55 PM
the blur
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 87 Posts

the injectors may be too small for open loop.
open loop has fixed values, and if it is too lean, it'll be surging.

when in closed loop, the computer will add fuel.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:45 PM
Steve85
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by YCarnut
Nice engine mods.
Have you checked the TBS. Should be set to .54 Volt +/- .075 Volt . Another thing to look at might be the minimum idle speed adjustment. If the idle speed is set too low, then the IAC may not be able to pass enough air to keep a cold engine running. If you adjust the min idle speed, you must then re-set the TBS.

Hope this helps…
+1... definitely as a starting point. There should be a tech tip here on how to do it. In essence you want the IAC closed, adjust the min idle screw to within a couple hundred rpm of desired idle then reconnect IAC. You want 90% of the idle going through the TB blades 10% through the IAC. OK so maybe not those exact numbers but you get the idea.

My 85 with MAF miniram 408 ran great on a stock tune. Very forgiving is that system. I have two distributors, an ecm and a knock module in my drawer if you need to test some things. We can work out an arrangement..
Old 10-28-2008, 11:06 AM
cwyates4
Melting Slicks

Ok, i'll try and shed some more light here. There is a custom tune, a chip tune by TPIS. The car has only done this for 6 months, but it was fine for a year and a half before hand. The tune would not be the problem then. TPS checks out fine, IAC is new. I've done base idle adjustment a billion times. During the adjustment is when I noticed how well the car ran with the est disconnected. Fuel pressure is good. The problem is only at idle, put a slight bit of throttle in and its ok. The idle is about ~900 in park, 700 in drive. That works fine with the cam, it'll actually idle at ~600 smoothly with the est disconnected.

I still need to know if disconnecting the est puts the car in "limp mode"...

Did have one idea thanks to some suggestions. The introduction of throttle makes the car run fine, but its not the added air that does it, but the fuel I believe. Maybe I could try a higher voltage setting for the tps at idle, say around .65 or so. Or, bump the fuel pressure up from the 39 it is set at. The car already runs rich though...hmm...maybe turn the idle down a hair and raise the FP....worth a shot.

Now having said all that....Why would unplugging the est make the car run just fine if it wasn't ignition related?

Originally Posted by RainDelay

My 85 with MAF miniram 408 ran great on a stock tune. Very forgiving is that system. I have two distributors, an ecm and a knock module in my drawer if you need to test some things. We can work out an arrangement..
That is what I've heard, and the car hasn't always ran like this. I might take a dizzy, the ecm, and the knock sensor off your hands if what I said above doesn't help any. When you say knock module, are you reffering to the sensor, or the est module though? I have a new est module in the car already...
Old 10-28-2008, 11:19 AM
ride250s
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You could always take it to the dealership and have them diagnose the problem... Most larger Chevy Dealers have atleast one person who is good with vettes. Shouldn't cost more that $200 to diagnose, and that includes hooking it up to the computer.

-Just a thought...
Old 10-28-2008, 11:41 AM
shamdave
Burning Brakes

I had some problems like this in mine and it was the Fuel Pressure regulator, Just a thought maybe it is worth a call to the master Gordon kilabrew

Get notified of new replies

To Last try at fixing, or the vette is sold!!! Any help out there!?

Old 10-28-2008, 11:45 AM
cwyates4
Melting Slicks

What are they going to see that I won't? All they will do is pull codes, there isn't any to pull. I'm also in a small town, our mechanics around here are jokes, part swappers is all.

And -js-: very good point. The computer stays in diagnosic mode, so I won't see what I need to see even if I can see aldl info.

Anybody want some video to show what the car does? I can have them up tomorrow if it'll help any.

With the est connected, it fires right up and then promplty dies when cold, takes some foot to keep it running until coolant temp reaches about 160, then itll run, but rough. Est disconnected, fires right up and purs all the time.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:47 AM
cwyates4
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by shamdave
I had some problems like this in mine and it was the Fuel Pressure regulator, Just a thought maybe it is worth a call to the master Gordon kilabrew
is that what your ended up being!? Told ya to do the fuel pressure test from the FSM!

Kidding with you, my fuel pressure is normal throughout. Idle is good, with vacuum disconnected it jumps, and load test is good. leakdown test: holds pressure overnight, no problems with the fuel system at all...except possible adjustments needed.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:52 AM
shamdave
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cwyates4
is that what your ended up being!? Told ya to do the fuel pressure test from the FSM!

Kidding with you, my fuel pressure is normal throughout. Idle is good, with vacuum disconnected it jumps, and load test is good. leakdown test: holds pressure overnight, no problems with the fuel system at all...except possible adjustments needed.
these things keep it intresting dont they? I told my wife this car has to be a woman cause no other thing can make me this crazy and keep me coming back for more

Quick Reply: Last try at fixing, or the vette is sold!!! Any help out there!?