C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

update, PT78HPS Turbo & 3.5" DP installed

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 07:39 PM
lcvette
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default update, PT78HPS Turbo & 3.5" DP installed

Well guys not many pictures, just 3 for now.

I took the car out last night in the cold air with the new PT78HPS turbocharger installed, but traction was absolutely a joke. 34 degrees doesn't hook squat I will say that. 1st and second were a waste of time and even third gear from a slow roll in blew the tires off at 80mph (315 Nitto Drag Radials)

So took it out today at the warmest part of the day ~54 degrees and it finally got some traction but it is MUCH more potent then it was on the T76MPS turbo.. this new turbo has a very nice sound to it as well. spool difference in not distinguishable from Seat of the pants or from the last logs on the old turbo, but the top end pull is substantially increased. for a street car in the 350-355 CI range I HIGHLY recommend this turbocharger. it the best bang for the buck in the T4 class in a compact design for tight fitment.

I look forward to the next build which will be an all out drag setup for an automatic tranny car. but I will be switching this setup to E85 this week and pushing the limits of the combination on this fuel ont he DYNO. I should have some numbers by the end of the week along with some video footage on the street during some tuning runs porior to the DYNO.

Enjoy!

Chris

Old 11-23-2008, 08:05 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Old 11-23-2008, 08:42 PM
mnstrlt1
Melting Slicks

Chris- awesome setup man! Can you take a few pictures of this setup? More of an expanded shot of the engine bay? I was curious to know what you've got mounted on the radiator shroud?

Also, can you take a shot from underneath the car? Showing the downpipe and the way to feeds into the exhaust system? What is the diamater of the downpipe? Would the downpipe clear a/c equippment at all?

Last, would you please take some shots of the front of the engine (if you can even get decent shots). I really wanted to see the plumbing, etc.
Old 11-23-2008, 09:12 PM
StealDads67
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking sweet!

May I suggest moving the blow off valve to the pipe near the throttle body. It is better to have the BOV on the "cold" side of the intercooler. This keeps the air flowing in the correct direction. It will work fine as shown, but just a suggestion.

Keep up the good work!!
Old 11-25-2008, 04:35 PM
FinnC4
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking good!!! Can't wait for the dyno numbers
Old 11-25-2008, 08:13 PM
bill mcdonald
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

do you think there is any way to get a 4" dp in there?
Old 11-25-2008, 08:27 PM
lcvette
Melting Slicks

Bill,

The way I now have it YES, I can fit a 5" downpipe if I want to with the AC cooling core removed and the blower box fabricated the way I did it... lots of room for a large downpipe

I just installed the no lift to shift and holy smokes let me just say it is a MAJOR rush.. zero boost drop between shifts and the car is a flat out monster on 20psi in this cold weather.. I took some footage in 3rd-4th gear that I am getting ready to host up... gimme just a few minutes to get it downloaded.. but with this cold air and the street being cold traction is very limited so they aren't great.. you can see I have to get out of it on a few because the car started drifting at 80mph.. even with the damn Nitto's.

I hate to get the sticker tires cause they don't last for squat but it looks like I am gonna try some of the newer drag radials that are out so i can plant some of this power and get the car to roll out like I know it want too!

Chris
Old 11-26-2008, 08:33 AM
mn_vette
Melting Slicks

Received 73 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by lcvette

I just installed the no lift to shift and holy smokes let me just say it is a MAJOR rush.. zero boost drop between shifts and the car is a flat out monster on 20psi in this cold weather..

Chris

Chris, What is this no lift shifting? Is this something with the DFI system or another electronic gizmo? I'd love to hear about this one.
Old 11-26-2008, 08:49 AM
lcvette
Melting Slicks

I was waiting for someone to ask.. I had this function on my DSM in DSMLink and fell in love with it. here is the breakdown on it.

it measures your TPS voltage and when you are at max TPS (100%) and the Cruise control clutch cut switch is activated it kills ignition for a length of time (this time is programable). in doing so you are able to keep your foot to the floor on the gas, make your shift, which due to the ignition kill and falling RPM is as smooth and effortless as butter. there is no more worry of a missed gear and crazy revs, the throttle is staying wide open and the motor continue to ingest boost pressure and air so the turbo shaft doesn't stall/surge or slow as rapidly so when the time has expired on the NLTS box and ignition is restored you should be in the next gear and clutch on it way out or fully out..

The tuning of the time to kill ignition is in Milliseconds and it even has a self learning setting which will custom tune the ignition kill delay to suit the driver. obviously the faster it can restore spark and the car have made the shift the less time it takes to get down the track.

I tried it out last night on the vette for the first time and it is working fantastic, even with all the commotion of 23psi and the car letting loose and the revs climbing fast as hell, you just try your best to maintain your calm, you no longer have to contend with the gas pedal timing so you are free to focus on the clutch and the shifter. you don't have to be forceful with the shifter to make sure it goes in because the synchros have had WAY more time then they normally get to adjust so the shifter feels as if the car is sitting in the driveway with no resistance whatsoever.. this allows you to fine tune your speed and accuracy without the need for muscle to get the tranny into the next gear.

It will take a time or two to get aquainted with it and the tendancy to lift the gas pedal will reinstate the ignition so you must convince yourself to trust it and commit to keeping it floored but once you do it the first time its like the Eureka lightbulb and you do it everytime.

Very trick setup.. the seller of the kit isn't a forum sponser since it is a pretty car manufacturer generic item, but the cost is $129.00 it installs in about 30-45 mintes depending on your wiring.. for us Brian it is pretty easy, clutch switch was a pain to get to under the dash but not that bad, the TPS I took right off the DFI box pin B1 (blue wire in the Fast track harness), you need a chassis ground (easy enough) and depending on igntion if your like me and using the MSD to fire the coil, you put the interrupter line between the Key power wire (small Red) to the MSD box.. thats it then find a place to mount the little blue box, about the size of a pocket calcuator..

For $189.00 you can get it with a built in Two step rev limiter as well for launching. I of course having DFI didn't need it and neither will you since we have a really nice setup for boost building with MANY control functions.

I am going to try and get some footage this afternoon in the daytime with a buddy doing the filming so you can see the how well it works.. last night trying to hold the camera, keep the car straight in a 70mph drift and then make the shift was tough and I was still getting used to it.

PM me for info on where to get it and let them know I sent ya!!!!

Chris

Last edited by lcvette; 11-26-2008 at 08:55 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To update, PT78HPS Turbo & 3.5" DP installed

Quick Reply: update, PT78HPS Turbo & 3.5" DP installed