C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Steering wheel vibration, causd by bent rim??

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2002, 09:37 PM
88_vette
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Steering wheel vibration, causd by bent rim??

Hey guys. Had my car checkd out today and the mech. said it's the rims causing the problem. Said they are bent. Which they are that. Funny thing is the rims are no different now then they were 4 years ago. I didn't notice this vibration unitl I got the new tires, and it did vibrate a few times. Then stopped, now it's all the time. Started when it got could out. Could this had an effect on the metal of the rim? I'm guessing they may have bent the rims some putting the tires on? So, I guess what I am wondering is why would they start to vib now. Why didn't they do it 4 years ago? Engineers can you help?
Old 01-15-2002, 10:23 PM
BBA
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Steering wheel vibration, causd by bent rim?? (88_vette)

What indication do you have that they are bent? The factory rims are not bendable. They will crack before bending because the cast magnesium they are made of is very brittle and very stiff. I know mine would not bend...right up to the point I cracked one of them.

Every time I have sen this vibration happen, it's been the tires. Certain brands are just crap, and thats all there is to it. That doesn't mean they wont handle well...but....
Old 01-15-2002, 10:35 PM
88_vette
Drifting

Default Re: Steering wheel vibration, causd by bent rim?? (BBA)

Thanks BBA,

I pick it up tomorrow. The mech said tires to star with until he looked at it. The tires are new, but they are cheap ones. The rims are alum. I know they are bent because you can see it. One is pretty bad, but it's been this way for 4 years. Which is why I'm puzzled about it messing things up now? I new rims anyway, so I guess I'll buy some.
Old 01-15-2002, 10:41 PM
J Z06
Team Owner

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Very likely.

I was in a torrential rainstorm back when I first got mine,and ran over a good sized piece of wood. Nothing else got Hurt...but the hour long drive(after I checked the rim to insure everything was ok) was a rough one. Lemme see if this works. :lol: I drove around for six months with this thing on there.

Your vibration should go away once you repair/replace the rim.

JD

Old 01-15-2002, 10:46 PM
JoeVette88
Instructor

Default Re: Steering wheel vibration, causd by bent rim?? (JD 90 383)

I spun out and nailed a curb and bent both right side rims on the (i dont know what you call it) part that comes in contact with the tire. I couldn't go over 55 without very violent shaking. They weren't even bent that much...
Old 01-15-2002, 10:49 PM
BAdAzZV8
Drifting

Default Re: Steering wheel vibration, causd by bent rim?? (JoeVette88)

Check and see if they are just not balanced. It happened to me before, steering wheel shook when they weren't balanced. No more shake after that.
Old 01-15-2002, 10:51 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

What indication do you have that they are bent? The factory rims are not bendable. They will crack before bending because the cast magnesium they are made of is very brittle and very stiff. I know mine would not bend...right up to the point I cracked one of them.

Every time I have sen this vibration happen, it's been the tires. Certain brands are just crap, and thats all there is to it. That doesn't mean they wont handle well...but....
vette rims are aluminum... not mag...
Old 01-15-2002, 11:36 PM
Flasher
Intermediate

Before replacing rim, I would sure take it to a good tire shop and check the balance and maybe even check to make sure tire was mounted correctly, won't cost that much and could save a bunch--My 84 had a vibration at high speed and I just knew it was something bad-- Checked the balance and had both right sides out about a 1 1/2 ounce each -- $36 for all 4 rebalanced. ;)
Smooth as glass now--If its bent You will be able to see it --while balancing

[Modified by Flasher, 9:38 PM 1/15/2002]
Old 01-16-2002, 01:44 AM
Prater
Pro

Had the same problem with some 99 rims. Checked everything first then ended up replacing the rims. No more vibration problems.
Old 01-16-2002, 10:12 AM
89 Bob L
Burning Brakes

Rims are not as hard to bend as most people think, especially 88-89. The 88-89 rims are two piece, aluminum and steel. The rims do go out of round from heat from the road, brakes, etc. then hitting a relatively small bump, pothole, etc.
Old 01-16-2002, 10:25 AM
RED90VETTE
Heel & Toe

There is a place here in Georgia that can fix bent rims,curb rashes etc.The name is The Wheel Wizzard.I have a rear wheel that has a side to side wobble,and they quoted me $140.00 to straighten and repair.I have a friend that bent a rim on his lowered truck and they fixed it like new.If you can't find the number I will get it for you.
Old 01-16-2002, 01:39 PM
BBA
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Steering wheel vibration, causd by bent rim?? (bogus)

Ummm...Ok, I'll give you that maybe the 88 and newer are, but the 16" 87 and older ones are in fact magnesium...and I have the powdery chunks of one of my wheels to prove it.
Old 01-16-2002, 10:09 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Ummm...Ok, I'll give you that maybe the 88 and newer are, but the 16" 87 and older ones are in fact magnesium...and I have the powdery chunks of one of my wheels to prove it.
thats more than a little possible...
Old 01-16-2002, 10:52 PM
ered95
Racer

Default Re: Steering wheel vibration, causd by bent rim?? (bogus)

Although this turned out not to be wheel related,, you might want to check your tie rod ends. I was having a vibration between 70 and 75 mph and couldn`t figure it out until last weekend when I was washing the grime off the front end. When I grabed the wheel and rocked it I could see play in the right tie rod end. So tonight I replaced them both. Took the car out and ran it hard up past 90 mph and was steady as a rock. Might be worth a look in your case. :flag :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Steering wheel vibration, causd by bent rim??

Quick Reply: Steering wheel vibration, causd by bent rim??