C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Broke coolant hardline - where to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 02:01 AM
janarvae
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Broke coolant hardline - where to buy?

'91 L98, was setting the timing to 6*BTDC (went well BTW) and noticed a new leak while adding water through the reservoir cap. It turns out the hard-line that transfers coolant from the top of the expansion tank to the reservoir broke. The rubber hose is crimped to the hard-line and I don't have the tools to fab new lines.

I checked all the normal vendors and nobody sells it. So I'm guessing I'll look for a radiator shop tomorrow? Will they bend it for me if I bring the old one in? Or do I just have them crimp it and buy a cheap Harbor Freight tubing bender and DIY?

This is the tube I'm looking for:

Cracked:

Thanks and I hope everyone enjoyed the holidays,

Jonathan
Old 12-26-2008, 06:58 AM
BluRay
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would buy a flare tool and a piece of hard line. After that you can just bend it to shape and hold it down with a hose clamp. You'll be in it for about $20 and have the tools. Use a compression type flare, not the bell end as these will cut the rubber line.
Old 12-26-2008, 08:41 AM
janarvae
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BluRay
I would buy a flare tool and a piece of hard line. After that you can just bend it to shape and hold it down with a hose clamp. You'll be in it for about $20 and have the tools. Use a compression type flare, not the bell end as these will cut the rubber line.
Where can I buy the hard-line? I don't think I've seen any at the local auto part stores. I do have a flare tool already and know where to buy compression fittings though.
Old 12-26-2008, 09:03 AM
Pete K
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I am thinking a good used piece may be any easy way out.
Old 12-26-2008, 09:50 AM
Iroc57
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't see why you can't just run a soft for that application and clamp it in the same location.
Old 12-26-2008, 11:17 AM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 371 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Iroc57
I don't see why you can't just run a soft for that application and clamp it in the same location.
That is what I would do.
Old 12-26-2008, 11:27 AM
janarvae
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Iroc57
Originally Posted by Aardwolf
That is what I would do.
I went out a did some measurements and the high fill reservoir takes a 3/8" inner diameter tubing and the overflow tank takes a little larger tubing, looks like 1/2". The hard-line tubing is 5/16" outer diameter. I called the only radiator shop around and they said they might be able to make one. If not, I found the hardware store sells 5/16" steel tubing and I would just need the rubber hose (less than 1ft at each side) and the flare compression fittings to make my own.

Ideally, I would get an old piece, but the closest corvette salvage yard that I've used before is about an hour away and I don't feel like driving that far today.

Thanks to all,

Jonathan

Get notified of new replies

To Broke coolant hardline - where to buy?

Quick Reply: Broke coolant hardline - where to buy?