C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

dana 44 length and width question

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 04:28 PM
bigwave71
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dana 44 length and width question

what is the length of a driveshaft, and the width of a batwing on a dana 44 and also i need the length of the c beam too? thanks
Old 02-02-2009, 06:45 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

Doing a D36 upgrade?

I've got some rough measurements, I need to get more precise measurements 3mm is enough to mess up an alignment.

Old 02-02-2009, 06:53 PM
bigwave71
Pro

Originally Posted by BrianCunningham
Doing a D36 upgrade?

I've got some rough measurements, I need to get more precise measurements 3mm is enough to mess up an alignment.

yes im putting a d 44 in place of my 36 and just wanted to make sure everything will fit. are the half shafts the same as the 36 also?
Old 02-02-2009, 07:10 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

the batwing's the same width, the driveshaft is different, not sure on the halfshafts,
Old 02-02-2009, 07:32 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,255 Likes on 2,018 Posts

Originally Posted by bigwave71
what is the length of a drive-shaft, and the width of a bat-wing on a dana 44 and also i need the length of the c beam too? thanks
Did you buy the rear on Craig's list?

Everything is bolt in! The "bat-wing" mounting is identical to your D36 now. The drive-shaft is something near 1" shorter on center of the u-joint yokes. You'll need to swap the yoke from your D36 shaft to the D44 shaft if you buy one and have it balanced. A wiser move might be to have your D36 shortened, replace the joints and have it balanced. You either need a D44 C-beam or you need to drill your D36 beam to fit. It can be done. Half shafts are the same. The search function works well enough on this forum so that you should be able to help yourself.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:26 PM
bigwave71
Pro

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
Did you buy the rear on Craig's list?

Everything is bolt in! The "bat-wing" mounting is identical to your D36 now. The drive-shaft is something near 1" shorter on center of the u-joint yokes. You'll need to swap the yoke from your D36 shaft to the D44 shaft if you buy one and have it balanced. A wiser move might be to have your D36 shortened, replace the joints and have it balanced. You either need a D44 C-beam or you need to drill your D36 beam to fit. It can be done. Half shafts are the same. The search function works well enough on this forum so that you should be able to help yourself.
no it didnt come off craigslist im getting it from a forum member. it came out of a 1990 zr1, im getting the rear with batwing, driveshaft, and the c beam. i wasnt really sure about halfshafts, but im just making double sure everything will fit before i get it. thanks
Old 02-02-2009, 09:52 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,255 Likes on 2,018 Posts

Originally Posted by bigwave71
no it didnt come off craigslist im getting it from a forum member. it came out of a 1990 zr1, im getting the rear with batwing, driveshaft, and the c beam. i wasnt really sure about halfshafts, but im just making double sure everything will fit before i get it. thanks
If everything is from the same car you're good to go! You'll need to swap the slip-yoke on the drive-shaft to match your trans. You might as well accomplish the transmission speedo gears while your doing the build. What tire are you running and what trans? What gear is supposed to be in the ZR-1 rear? 3.45 would be stock! Where is the rear coming from?
Old 02-02-2009, 10:24 PM
bigwave71
Pro

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
If everything is from the same car you're good to go! You'll need to swap the slip-yoke on the drive-shaft to match your trans. You might as well accomplish the transmission speedo gears while your doing the build. What tire are you running and what trans? What gear is supposed to be in the ZR-1 rear? 3.45 would be stock! Where is the rear coming from?
i have a 3.54 gear in the 36 now and the 44 has a 3.45 so the speedo gears should be pretty close if not then i have an adaptor box that i can move the dip switches to get the proper ratio. im keeping the stock tire and the trans was built with the best money can buy but still used the stock trans gear ratios. rear is coming from a forum member. thanks for your info, that makes me breath a little easier knowing all i have to do is bolt it in.

Get notified of new replies

To dana 44 length and width question

Quick Reply: dana 44 length and width question