C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Rear wheel bearing/hub on 87

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 07:02 AM
Don in VT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear wheel bearing/hub on 87

Hi,

I have a couple of questions on replacing my rear wheel bearing/hub on my 87. The factory manual shows a bearing seal and an odd looking C shaped part that is part of the whole assembly. I work for our local Chev dealer and our parts lookup shows only a washer like part. No C shaped part and no bearing seal. I special ordered the washer. My questions

Has anyone recently changed out a rear wheel bearing and could you tell what is really in there especially the C shaped part and the bearing seal ?j.

If those parts are really needed, where can I get them as the OEM does not have them any longer ?

Any help here would be appreciated.

Best Regards to the forum

Don
Old 02-10-2009, 07:35 AM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

I don't recall any C shaped part and there was no seal to replace.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:40 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

C4 rear bearings are completely self contained so you just bolt it in and go. The only part that has to be replaced other than the bearing is the Teflon washer, and it sounds like you have that covered.Just make sure that you torque the wheel nut to spec.WW
Old 02-10-2009, 09:05 AM
Don in VT
Instructor

Default Rear wheel bearing

Hi WW7,

You mentioned a teflon washer, what I received was a metal washer that looks like it was impregnated with teflon. Does that sound right to you ?
Old 02-10-2009, 09:09 AM
StealthLT4
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds right. It's been described to me as a 'teflon-coated' washer. GM p/n 14076924. The bearings themselves sound pretty easy to replace, from what I've read here. I'm getting ready to do mine this weekend.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:16 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by Don in VT
Hi WW7,

You mentioned a teflon washer, what I received was a metal washer that looks like it was impregnated with teflon. Does that sound right to you ?
Yea, Metel with teflon coating.Just pay attention when you take out the old ones to see which way they go in, they have a lip on them that has to go in a certain way.On a car this old the only problem you may have is with the 3 #55 torqs bolts that hold the bearing in. If you have problems getting them out, first use a penetrating oil, if that doesn't work as a last resort you may have to heat them with a torch to get them to break loose.This is what I had to do, its no big deal but sometimes heat is all that will work...WW

Last edited by WW7; 02-10-2009 at 09:23 AM.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:25 AM
Muffin
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Just make sure you do the washers. If you don't do them now you will later on. Please don't ask. There are several posts on this that should be available thru "Search".
Old 02-10-2009, 01:01 PM
muzy67
Navigator

Default re: wheel bearing

Don in VT,
I am also working on my w/b assy and have done so in the past. Here is a link that may help you.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...changed-2.html

From what I gather, that washer acts as a buffer between the spindle/yoke and the hub assy and is important enough to limit the clicking noise that is prevelant with this set up.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:21 PM
Don in VT
Instructor

Hi All

Thanks you all very much for the help. Without folks like you, trying to keep the old C4 on the road would be a lot more difficult.

Thanks Again

Don in VT
Old 02-10-2009, 08:25 PM
Don in VT
Instructor

Default Rear wheel bearing replacement on 87

Hi All,

I want to thank all the folks that replied to my question regarding the rear wheel bearing replacement on my 87. The responses were great and solved my problems and concerns.

Thanks again,
Old 02-11-2009, 08:56 PM
jsinga
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Might be a little late to chime in... Take a look at your u-joints while you are in there. They are easy enough to change on aluminum drive shafts. If the wheel bearing bolts are a pain you will about need to take the shafts out anyway.

JS

Get notified of new replies

To Rear wheel bearing/hub on 87

Quick Reply: Rear wheel bearing/hub on 87