C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Max Valve lift on an LT1 Head

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2002, 03:08 PM
mn_vette
Melting Slicks

Received 73 Likes on 46 Posts

Default Max Valve lift on an LT1 Head

Does anybody know what the max valve lift for an LT1 Head is? I was told that the springs from the LT4 hot cam kit would fit my heads and the max lift there was .580. I was thinking of getting about .555, any thoughts?
Old 01-28-2002, 05:06 PM
SPD DMN
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: Max Valve lift on an LT1 Head (mn_vette)

LT4 springs are only good to about .550 lift. Plenty of springs out there that are much better too. Match your springs to your cam.
Old 01-28-2002, 08:27 PM
mackeyred96
Team Owner

Location: Former NCM Drag Racing coordinator, National director Corvette Challenge Spring Hill, Tennessee: Whiting, New Jersey
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

I'd leave this job to a pro.
Old 01-29-2002, 12:59 AM
Chris@SD
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We have used cams as high as .671 lift. In the next week, we will be installing one with this lift again! Of course, we are installing a set of bad boy Pacaloy springs to go with it and some solid roller lifters!!! :yesnod: :yesnod:

If you want, I will install a 1" lift cam in your car. :) :)

Seriously, there is a limit to a ceratin spring, not to the lift in a cam(to a certain degree).
Old 01-29-2002, 09:24 AM
mn_vette
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Max Valve lift on an LT1 Head (Chris@SpeedDemon)

Ok, a little background may help with this one. I just bought a ZZ-9 cam and I'm trying to pick out the roller rockers to go with it. But it's really hard to find a set of 8 self alligning rockers.

With a 1.5 rocker the lift is .483/.520 and I was hoping to get the intake to a .515 (1.6) or a .531 (1.65) which means the exhaust goes to .555 (1.6).
I want to find a set of mixed 1.65 and 1.52 self alligning, but I'm not sure that'll happen.

There is always a limiting factor, assuming I can get the correct spring, it would be the length of the valve or the valve hitting the piston. I know the GM hotcam gets a .525 lift, but I'm not sure how much further I can go before I get into trouble with the stock heads and valves.
Old 01-29-2002, 11:45 AM
Chris@SD
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Self alligning are a bad choice for a cam car setup. Talk to Comp and they will tell you on a car with anything more than an air filter, you want non-self alligning ones and use guideplates, 7/16" studs, and hardened pushrods.

If you want a set of these in split 1.5/1.6 ratios, let me know. I will break up a new set for you. Give me a ring this afternoon as I am on my way to the engine shop.
Thanks,
Chris
Old 01-29-2002, 10:38 PM
mn_vette
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Max Valve lift on an LT1 Head (Chris@SpeedDemon)

Thanks, like I have in my signature this is my first car, not to mention the first one that I would have ever thought of taking apart and making better. You guys are teaching me alot. I'm sure I'll post a few really dumb things before too long, but it's always a learning experience :D

Get notified of new replies

To Max Valve lift on an LT1 Head

Quick Reply: Max Valve lift on an LT1 Head