C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

bruised, aching, dirty as hell, the battle is over

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 12:12 AM
tdr1919
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bruised, aching, dirty as hell, the battle is over

It has taken all of three weekends, but the rear bearing project which escalated to U-joints and poly bushings has finally come to an end! I must admit, every bone and muscle in my body hurts, every bolt & nut seemed to be torqued at over 100 lbs! All original, you can guess how much grease and dirt, I soaked the parts in my wheel barrel! I cant remember ever being this dirty! I used about a half box of latex gloves. Hopelfully tomorrow I will get the feeling back in my fingers.
Good news is now I have the front end to tackle!

Tom
Old 03-23-2009, 01:29 AM
Arkybill
Instructor

Well, it's good you had a fine time fixing this stuff. Remember, the natural state of a vehicle is "BROKE". Umm, sounds like that's the state of the owner also..

Kick back, work some, drink some of your favorite beverage, work some more, get sh** fixed, then drive the hell out of it.

bill
Old 03-23-2009, 08:25 AM
Iroc57
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tdr1919
It has taken all of three weekends, but the rear bearing project which escalated to U-joints and poly bushings has finally come to an end! I must admit, every bone and muscle in my body hurts, every bolt & nut seemed to be torqued at over 100 lbs! All original, you can guess how much grease and dirt, I soaked the parts in my wheel barrel! I cant remember ever being this dirty! I used about a half box of latex gloves. Hopelfully tomorrow I will get the feeling back in my fingers.

Tom

You took your lumps but won...congrats
Old 03-23-2009, 10:06 AM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

If you only went through 1/2 a box of gloves your parts weren't dirty.
I went through a box for the front and a box for the rear when I did my suspension and bearings.

Congratulations!!!!
Old 03-23-2009, 10:28 AM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

I'll be rebuilding my whole suspension shortly, looking forward to it
Old 03-23-2009, 10:37 AM
engle1147
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tdr1919

Tom
Well done!
Like it or not there will always be a few "while I've got it apart" tasks you'll want to tackle. Good move on the latex gloves useage.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:46 AM
HlhnEast
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Congrats on the job well done!! I will be enjoying the same project with mine soon enough. I need to replace the clutches in my D44 and I am hoping while the mechanic has the rear end down, he will let me do u joints and bushings. I will have him check the bearings while he is in there. I understand how to do rear end set up but I dont want to tackle something that advanced plus I dont have all the specialty tools. Now I have to wait til his racks arent completely full to get the favor, lol.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:48 AM
jakers
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

I feel your pain. I am week #1 into it. Getting the hubs loose is a monster task. I feel sorry for anyone without air tools.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:52 AM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 936 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

I replaced my hubs without air tools in one afternoon. I removed the knuckles from both sides and replaced the hubs on the bench with no problems. I did let everything soak in nut buster for a while before taking it apart. I am putting the Banski Motorsports heim joint kit on while I reassemble. Forum member astock165 sells them.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:58 AM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Kubs
I replaced my hubs without air tools in one afternoon. I removed the knuckles from both sides and replaced the hubs on the bench with no problems. I did let everything soak in nut buster for a while before taking it apart. I am putting the Banski Motorsports heim joint kit on while I reassemble. Forum member astock165 sells them.
Me too
Old 03-23-2009, 08:22 PM
pkazsr
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

But you have to admit working on a Vette is FUN.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:22 PM
tdr1919
Racer

Originally Posted by Kubs
Sure, you dont need air tools, but you do need on big *** f**king piece of galvanized pipe to put on the end of that breaker bar. Torqueing that hub nut to 160 lbs made my eyes pop out and my ***** hit the floor. If you aren't using a cheater then you gotta be one powerful *****' or else someone never torqued them proper before you.
Tom
Old 03-23-2009, 08:50 PM
rickneworleansla
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

After reading the title I thought this was going to be about a cam swap. I guess I better not make fun since I'll be doing my bearrings soon.

Job well done. Now come do mine.

Get notified of new replies

To bruised, aching, dirty as hell, the battle is over

Quick Reply: bruised, aching, dirty as hell, the battle is over