C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

700R4 Tailshaft

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 10:53 AM
89vert
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 700R4 Tailshaft

I am replacing the tailshaft seal because of a leak and it seems there is some play in the output shaft. It does not seem normal.

Is there a bushing in the tailshaft to hold the output shaft firmly?

I have a GM 700R4 technician's guide that shows a bushing in the tailshaft but does not illustrate the Corvette tailshaft housing.

Where can I get this bushing?

Thanks for your help. Tim
Old 03-29-2009, 10:55 AM
Pete K
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

The bushing was common to all 700's 4l60e's and turbo 350's. I have 20 of them at home, but will not be home for over a week. Any trans shop should be able to sell you one for $5. Dealer would be a second option.
If you have a choice, buy the teflon bushing. They are $10 or so.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:13 AM
89vert
Drifting

Pete, you never fail to amaze me with your quick responses.

Is there anything else I should be looking for? I'm thinking the play in the output shaft would be causing the leak.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:23 AM
Pete K
Race Director

Originally Posted by 89vert
Pete, you never fail to amaze me with your quick responses.

Is there anything else I should be looking for? I'm thinking the play in the output shaft would be causing the leak.
It likely is, but check the following while it is apart:

1)Bushing surface on yoke for wear or damage
2) Oil drain back hole in trans case should be checked for sludge blockage. This is easily seen with the tailshaft off.
3) Change 0-ring for speedo sensor while you are there. Pennies, and easy to change.
4) Inspect speedo gears, and change if visibly worn. Again, cheap.
5) Wiggle output shaft up and down once tailhousing is removed. If it goes up and down more that 1/4 inch, case busing inside if worn, and will need changing.

*Hope #5 is ok, because complete disassembly is required for replacement.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:33 AM
89vert
Drifting

Originally Posted by Pete K
It likely is, but check the following while it is apart:

1)Bushing surface on yoke for wear or damage
2) Oil drain back hole in trans case should be checked for sludge blockage. This is easily seen with the tailshaft off.
3) Change 0-ring for speedo sensor while you are there. Pennies, and easy to change.
4) Inspect speedo gears, and change if visibly worn. Again, cheap.
5) Wiggle output shaft up and down once tailhousing is removed. If it goes up and down more that 1/4 inch, case busing inside if worn, and will need changing.

*Hope #5 is ok, because complete disassembly is required for replacement.
I have a repair sleeve for the yoke.

I will check the other items while I'm there.

I hope I don't have an issue with #5. I don't think so because there really isn't that much play at the end of the tailshaft housing. Just enough to make me want to replace the bushing in the tailshaft housing.

Thanks again Pete.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:36 AM
guido7834
Melting Slicks

Received 198 Likes on 124 Posts

Pete K, while you are here maybe you could help me with a trans pan leak. Had gasket replaced,stll a leak. Replaced pan and gasket and still a leak. Any suggestions as to what could be the problem.
Thanks
Old 03-29-2009, 11:46 AM
Pete K
Race Director

Originally Posted by guido7834
Pete K, while you are here maybe you could help me with a trans pan leak. Had gasket replaced,stll a leak. Replaced pan and gasket and still a leak. Any suggestions as to what could be the problem.
Thanks
Throw the pan away. They are $20 new at the dealer, and yours is likely warped.
Install cork pan gasket with no sealer, only a thin film of vaseline on it.
Torque bolts to 100 inch pounds 3 times, then a week or 2 later, retorque to 100 inch pounds.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:49 AM
guido7834
Melting Slicks

Received 198 Likes on 124 Posts

Great. Thanks Pete K.
Old 04-02-2009, 02:40 AM
eguyett1985
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Throw the pan away. They are $20 new at the dealer, and yours is likely warped.
Install cork pan gasket with no sealer, only a thin film of vaseline on it.
Torque bolts to 100 inch pounds 3 times, then a week or 2 later, retorque to 100 inch pounds.
I'm having similar problems with my trans pan too It's a Moroso fabricated aluminum pan and when I first put it on it leaked like crazy so I pulled it off and checked it on a surface plate only to find out it was warped from the factory. I took it to a machine shop and had it surfaced and trued, put it back on using one of the thin fiber style gaskets (as per Moroso) torqued it to 100 inch pounds and it was much better for a couple hundred miles but then I recently pulled the trans to fix an oil leak behind the flexplate and never pulled the pan or removed the bolts, put the trans back in and once again it's leaking really bad. It appears that the ATF is seeping either thru the gasket and wicking out or leaking out on either side of the gasket, I really can't tell. I went back and checked torque on the bolts and they were all tight at 100 inch pounds so I'm wondering if I should just go back to a stock pan or try maybe a cork gasket?

Last edited by eguyett1985; 04-02-2009 at 02:43 AM.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:08 AM
Pete K
Race Director

Originally Posted by eguyett1985
I'm having similar problems with my trans pan too It's a Moroso fabricated aluminum pan and when I first put it on it leaked like crazy so I pulled it off and checked it on a surface plate only to find out it was warped from the factory. I took it to a machine shop and had it surfaced and trued, put it back on using one of the thin fiber style gaskets (as per Moroso) torqued it to 100 inch pounds and it was much better for a couple hundred miles but then I recently pulled the trans to fix an oil leak behind the flexplate and never pulled the pan or removed the bolts, put the trans back in and once again it's leaking really bad. It appears that the ATF is seeping either thru the gasket and wicking out or leaking out on either side of the gasket, I really can't tell. I went back and checked torque on the bolts and they were all tight at 100 inch pounds so I'm wondering if I should just go back to a stock pan or try maybe a cork gasket?
Cork.
It swells a wee bit.
People complain about cork all the time, but I have never had a problem, if the pan was flat.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:42 PM
eguyett1985
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Cork.
It swells a wee bit.
People complain about cork all the time, but I have never had a problem, if the pan was flat.
Thanks, I'll give that a try first.

Get notified of new replies

To 700R4 Tailshaft

Quick Reply: 700R4 Tailshaft