C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

LT4 Tensioner Pulley Replacement Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 08:27 PM
RUU
Melting Slicks

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

Default LT4 Tensioner Pulley Replacement Question

Purchased a new serpentine belt for my 96 LT4. Should I put a new tensioner pulley on while I'm in there? Clearance looks tight - how long is the bolt on it? On my Focus, I had to use a pry bar between the tensioner & the frame to move the engine over the 1/2 inch required to R&R the pulley bolt
Thanks
Old 04-02-2009, 01:10 AM
techvette
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Install it and press on the belt to see if the tension seems excessively loose. If it does and / or your belt squeals then replace it.

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

I can't see the tensioner spring going bad, only the bearing. Bearings will make noise when they decide to go...
Old 04-02-2009, 06:05 AM
MarkBychowski
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you don't have to worry about the spring and as long as the pulleys turn freely and don't wobble, they're fine. The pulleys themselves (with bearings) are only around $25 each at pep boys or autozone.

To remove / install the belt you can just use a 3/8" breaker bar with a socket to grab the bolt head on the tensioner pulley. I don't recall exactly but it's somewhere between a 14mm-16mm socket. It will fit in there just fine. That way you don't have to worry about prying on the pulley or anything else.

Get notified of new replies

To LT4 Tensioner Pulley Replacement Question

Quick Reply: LT4 Tensioner Pulley Replacement Question