C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Removing crash pad and installing "flat" dash panel ?'s.

Old 01-31-2002, 02:28 AM
djpearn
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing crash pad and installing "flat" dash panel ?'s.

I would like to replace the crash pad in my 85 with one of those "flat" dash panel replacement kits from Ecklers. Is it possible to remove the pad with out removing the entire top pad from the dash. My manual shows two screws holding the top brackets, that appear to point downward and can only be reached from under the top dash pad.
If someone has done this before could they please pass on any tips to make the process easier.
I was also wondering if that flat panel kit was reasonably well made and matched the rest of the dash parts or is it just a cheap chunk of junk.
Old 01-31-2002, 03:22 AM
pablocruise
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Removing crash pad and installing "flat" dash panel ?'s. (djpearn)

In my case, I did the dash speakers at the same time, so that might be a reason for you to pull up the dash. :confused: The double sided tape they provide to keep the louvers held on to the inside of the flat panel SUCKS! Try to find something else. I still haven't corrected mine. Definitely the guys in here have figured this out. I remember seeing it a couple of times. I don't remember who it was -sorry.
Old 01-31-2002, 03:48 AM
gcrouse
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I seem to recall the instructions saying to cut the brackets from the side with a hacksaw if you don't want to remove the top pad. That being said, the top pad is real easy to remove- 5 minutes.

I got the panel with the map pocket so I'm not sure about the one you're looking at; fit was decent but they made the map pocket out of nylon. I spent $15 on a piece of black textrured vinyl and "Corvette" embroidery; much improved.
Old 01-31-2002, 01:50 PM
gh86E
Burning Brakes

My site (below) has complete instructions & pictures for getting to the 'bread box' the long, but not necessarily hard, way. It's one of those situations where if you take the time to take more peripheral things out of the way, it's real easy to properly take out the dash pad. Sounds like you want a quicker approach, which might be possible if you're already familiar with where everything is in the dash. I don't agree with the 'break the brackets and foam-tape the new piece in' approach. But it probably works. In any case, my pictures will give you an idea of how the structure of everything.
Old 01-31-2002, 02:05 PM
yoslambo1@cs.com
Safety Car

i used a hack saw & i epoxied the vent in. boy the carbon fiber looks sooo much better than the stupid hump! good luck! :cheers:
Old 01-31-2002, 05:18 PM
85WHITEZ51
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

Default Re: Removing crash pad and installing "flat" dash panel ?'s. (yoslambo1@cs.com)

I love that carbon fiber piece too. Do you have the whole kit. I do, and love it!
Old 01-31-2002, 05:26 PM
VetNutJim
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Default Re: Removing crash pad and installing "flat" dash panel ?'s. (gh86E)

gh86E,

Bad link, can't acess your site.

Thanks anyway for trying.
Old 01-31-2002, 05:50 PM
Muffin
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Removing crash pad and installing "flat" dash panel ?'s. (VetNutJim)

Complete carbon fiber here. I cut the braces on the bread box to get it out. Only problem is reconnecting the AC vent. Haven't solved that one yet.
Old 01-31-2002, 06:58 PM
yoslambo1@cs.com
Safety Car

Default Re: Removing crash pad and installing "flat" dash panel ?'s. (85WHITEZ51)

i sure do have the whole carbon fiber kit! except speaker covers. i love the way it looks! :cheers:
Old 01-31-2002, 07:44 PM
djpearn
Racer

Thanks for the responses. I am just making sure that I don't run into any major problems doing this. I plan on taking my time and I don't want to damage anything. I don't quite understand the problem with the "grill" and having to use foam tape but that will probably be clearer when I get the part, maybe I could mount the grill with 4 black allen screws to give it that "high tech" machine look :D .
I would still like to know if the kit, as it comes, looks ok and matches the rest of the dash parts as I won't be covering it with any of the woodgrain or carbonfiber overlays and I don't want the one with the pocket.
I do like the idea of the "Corvette" name on the pocket, maybe I'll order up a name plate or the hood emblem to dress it up a bit :cool:
gh86E, your link is down but thanks, I will keep trying it.
Old 01-31-2002, 09:41 PM
Mike_88Z51
Drifting

Location: Sacramento, CA Money can't buy happiness - but it's more comfortable to cry in a Corvette than a Yugo.
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

djpearn,

I replaced the "breadbox" on my 88 about a year ago. As was already mentioned, removing the upper dash pad is a 5 minute operation. Nothing to worry about. Most of the problem in removing the "breadbox" is in trying to gat at one screw on the center console side of the breadbox. That screw is a major PITA to get at. The key for me was to use a 1/4" rachet and several extentions (long enough to reach at least 18") with a flexi-socket on the end. Once you get it worked through the maze of wires and on the screw it comes off easily. The rest is pretty much a piece of cake. The first time it took me 8 hours. The second time, when I helped someone else it took about 3 hours start to finish.

The panel ships with some tape to attach a guide for the panel to hook into the fuse panel end. Pretty cheap. Consider buying a small block of plexigalss and gluing it in place of the flimsy guide. You'll see what I mean when you get it. The kit also uses double stick tape to attach the A/C duct to the panel. In my Z51 this would have rattleed loose in a day. The factory method was to attach the A/C duct with 2 screws into the breadbox through 2 brackets molded into the duct. I used 2 pieces of plexiglass rod cut to size which I glued to the panel with plexiglass glue (super strong). I then tapped holes for the 2 screws that allowed me to screw the brackets of the duct directly to the panel. You could use small blocks of plexiglass instead of rods for more glue surface area if you like. (Be sure you don't us a glue that will soften the panel back surface so much a warp shows through.)

It doesn't really require a whole day to do, but if you give yourself a whole day and are careful, when you are done the dash will look so much better you will be very happy you did it. The panel matches the interior very well. The only downside to its looks is that it is so blank. It would be nice if it had "Corvette" embossed in it like the breadbox. All in all however, it is 10 TIMES better looking than the breadbox.
Old 02-01-2002, 10:24 AM
jmr302
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[Modified by jmr302, 8:26 AM 2/1/2002]
Old 02-01-2002, 11:13 AM
jimfl
Intermediate

Link from gh86E worked for me. Excellent pics and narrative Greg! I noticed that you replaced fuel tank and lines. Did you document that process? My 87 will no doubt need the same attention. regards, jim
Old 02-01-2002, 01:32 PM
gh86E
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Removing crash pad and installing "flat" dash panel ?'s. (jimfl)

Link from gh86E worked for me. Excellent pics and narrative Greg! I noticed that you replaced fuel tank and lines. Did you document that process? My 87 will no doubt need the same attention. regards, jim
Troy has been posting notices that they're trying to debug the home pages server. My site (and all other CF home pages) are available only sporadically.

I'll reply via email with details on the fuel tank, as it's off topic for this thread.
Old 02-01-2002, 01:51 PM
Aggravated4life
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

That flat replacement panel is a piece of cheap crap.I bought it and didnt like it too much, had it in the car and it would have been better if they made the ends with screw holes to attach to the center console piece,but they cut the plastic ends there so I couldnt even drill my own to use the stock holes there.

it flexed and rattle...I made one out of wood and cover with black vinyl.Looks excellent.
Def. not worth the 50 or so bucks they want for it.
Old 02-01-2002, 11:42 PM
rrubel
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Removing crash pad and installing "flat" dash panel ?'s. (Bill's86Coupe)

I replaced mine a couple weeks ago with the map-pocket version. I too did the dash-pad-removal method - it would have been real simple except that my pad had been attached to the windshield with black silicone adhesive by the previous owner!

When installing the a/c vent, I had to trim a good bit of material from the panel opening; otherwise the vent wouldn't have moved side-to-side. I used a combination of sticky tape and black silicone adhesive to hold it in, and with a lot of adjustments it still hasn't gotten loose.

My kit was missing the plastic piece and two-sided tape to hold the edge of the panel against the right-side endpiece (the kit was a gimme from another owner who'd gotten frustrated) so I cut down an old plastic hard-drive mounting rail that was about 1/4" thick and fastened it with weather-resistant two-sided foam tape.

The car looks a LOT better; I can provide pix if anyone cares. The map pocket would be nicer if the nylon wasn't as shiny, but that's life.

[RICHR]

Get notified of new replies

To Removing crash pad and installing "flat" dash panel ?'s.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Removing crash pad and installing "flat" dash panel ?'s.