C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Stripped intake bolt stirs big problem..

Old 04-11-2009, 01:48 AM
ZDRpewter01
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stripped intake bolt stirs big problem..

OK I'm replacing the intake manifold gaskets and ran into two stubborn bolts! Ive snapped three torx bits and stripped the bolt. I then tried to extract it but the stupid extractor snapped!!!! Any ideas on how to get it out????
Old 04-11-2009, 04:50 AM
convas
Pro

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by lizardlver15
OK I'm replacing the intake manifold gaskets and ran into two stubborn bolts! Ive snapped three torx bits and stripped the bolt. I then tried to extract it but the stupid extractor snapped!!!! Any ideas on how to get it out????
I welded an old impact socket onto the head of the bolt and got it out with a breaker bar.

For other ideas check this thread.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...olt-heads.html
Old 04-11-2009, 11:26 PM
John A. Marker
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 146 Posts

It sounds like the last time the gaskets were replaced antiseize was not applied to the bolt threads and the bolt has gauled the aluminum. This could lead to a very big problem.

It would be best to use a impact torx. Extractors are brittle and will break. I would try PB blaster on the extractor and let it sit over night and try vice grips or a cold chisel with a hammer to back it out.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:05 AM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by lizardlver15
I then tried to extract it but the stupid extractor snapped!!!! Any ideas on how to get it out????
When I break an extractor in a bore, I chip it out with whatever size punch/chisel, I can get in there with. Once you have chipped out the area that is making forced contact, the tapered remaining piece can be easily removed.
Safety glasses are a MUST, if you try this.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:16 PM
ZDRpewter01
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well good news! i picked up a set of bits from Irwin tools. They cut into the head and twist them out. I put one that was a little small for the bolt and beat it on with a sledge. Twisted right out!

Get notified of new replies

To Stripped intake bolt stirs big problem..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stripped intake bolt stirs big problem..