C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Crushed fuel line advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2002, 08:53 AM
Dragon2U
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Crushed fuel line advice

Hi,
Last nite I was working on the toy and discovered something that might not be good. Just in front of the right rear wheel well there are two metal fuel lines. One for supply and one for the return. The return line was, at sometime, crushed againat the lip of a frame seam. :eek: I've only owned the car a few months and know for sure that it was prior to my ownership. The car "seems" to run okay, has a little roughness to it that I am still trying to pinpoint.

Will , or is, this situation cause(ing) anything unusual or should it be something not to worry about? Looking at the line it would be a major PITA to change out since it travels from the fuel rail all the way to the tank. Probably wouldn't cost too much (guessing $50-$70???) to get parts but looks like I might have to drop the tank.

I was thinking of cutting the line at the crush point, forcing a tool into the line to expand it again, then "splicing" it back together with some rubber fuel hose and a few hose clamps. Would this be appropriate or end up being a real hack job and not lasting or working properly?

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 02-01-2002, 09:31 AM
Corvette0096
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: Crushed fuel line advice (Dragon2U)

Here is a way to tell if it restricted. Put on a fuel pressure gauge on the shraider valve that is located in the engine department. If there is some sort of restriction your fuel pressure will be high. happen to my buddies rustang a while back. His was completely pinched of running like 80psi. Ran like crap! To much head pressure makes the injectors have a hard time opening.
Old 02-01-2002, 09:38 AM
85 Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi,
I was thinking of cutting the line at the crush point, forcing a tool into the line to expand it again, then "splicing" it back together with some rubber fuel hose and a few hose clamps. Would this be appropriate or end up being a real hack job and not lasting or working properly?

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks,
Mike
That's what I would do. Use a tubing cutter so you won't get metal shavings in the fuel system. Make sure the fuel line is the proper type, and I would put two hose clamps on each side.
Old 02-01-2002, 09:42 AM
JonM
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are going to cut the line, here is a little hint. Go to the hardware store and pick up a close quarter tubing cutter. Its a tubing cutter plumbers use to get into tight spots. The tool is only about an inch square with a cutting wheel and a **** on the other end.
Old 02-01-2002, 09:58 AM
wheelsup
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would use steel braided fuel hose to make the repair.It cost alot more ,but would not deteriorate as fast as rubber...IMO.
Good luck
Phil
Old 02-01-2002, 01:29 PM
Aggravated4life
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: Crushed fuel line advice

Sounds like a floor jack or a lift may have been used in the wrong place.

Theres ways to repair the lines if theres a problem, and you can use a Union between the two damaged points and tie them together.
Rubber lines and clamps arent suggested.

I replaced my fuel lines from the fuelfilter to the tank and yes it was a Big job.
I had to drop the rear end down to get the old lines out.Replaced the rusted gas tank as well.
I used braided steel fuel hoses to redo the job.My old lines rusted to nothing and I replaced them before they leaked and caused a major fire.

Check to be sure if the line is causing any problems.Do a fuel pressure check and etc.
:)
Old 02-02-2002, 12:38 PM
dlmeyers
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Crushed fuel line advice (Bill's86Coupe)

If you repair with rubber tubing, make sure the repair material is rated for fuel and associated pressure.

dlmeyers 90 coupe zf6 3 speed shocks

Get notified of new replies

To Crushed fuel line advice

Quick Reply: Crushed fuel line advice