C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

93 lt1 oil pan gasket ... use sealer at the 'trough' in the front and rear?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 11:28 PM
blackedout1
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 lt1 oil pan gasket ... use sealer at the 'trough' in the front and rear?

Well, Ive determined my oil leak 'appears' to be coming from the oil pan gasket vs. the timing cover.

Though whats weird is the oil pan gasket *looks* like its in great shape.

Anyways, the leak appears to be on the front of the pan. Im guessing in the 'trough' area of it - where theres not any bolts.

Would it hurt to put a very small amount of some type of gasket maker in the front and rear trough area? - in addition to the gasket?
Old 04-22-2009, 11:56 PM
STL94LT1
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

Are you sure the leak is not coming from the timing cover seals?
Old 04-23-2009, 09:28 AM
blackedout1
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fairly certain.

One note on my oil leak: This is barely enough oil to create a drip spot even. Im preparing my car for a blower and Im going over every to make sure its tip-top before adding the extra strain of a blower.

I imagine if oil's leaking from anywhere, its going to be made worse after the blower.

I used that UV dye and it didnt really tell me much, I should have looked at the engine with a UV light BEFORE using the dye to see what it looked like - so its difficult to see what Im looking for.

I wanted to replace the timing chain cover gasket also - while im in there, but forum members have dissuaded me claiming its exceptionally difficult ???

It looks look oil (and UV dye) is not coming out from around the edge of timing cover seal, but rather the trough.
Old 05-01-2009, 07:14 PM
Targa86
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use some sealant on each corner of the pan where the trough begins, but like STL94LT1 said, check the timing cover seal as well.

Get notified of new replies

To 93 lt1 oil pan gasket ... use sealer at the 'trough' in the front and rear?

Quick Reply: 93 lt1 oil pan gasket ... use sealer at the 'trough' in the front and rear?