C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Brake pads for 85 which ones?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 05:14 PM
snowmanmdp
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Brake pads for 85 which ones?

I was told to try green EBCs....anyone use these? What is everyone using?
Old 04-29-2009, 06:22 AM
jan-erik
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi I have an 85 as well and the brakes on these cars are crap. I live in Norway an on my SAAB and sons Volvo the cars outbrake the Corvette many times. That said I hahve experimented much to increase the braking ability.
First I used Semimetallic and they were better but still not good. Then I went to Greenstuff by EBC and this was a big step forward but they had the ability to brake good at low speeds and they seemed to have problems at braking at higher speeds.
Then I was recommended to change the rotors to Powerslot and HAwk brake pads. I used the HAwk HPS and now the brakes are acceptable I hahve generally good brakes at all speeds and if braking much I get better performance as they heat up just opposite of my earlier pads including Greenstuff. The HPS by Hawk has not much brake dust and are silent. The HP plus pads are better as performance pads thogh and feels even better than HPS but can wear rotors more and can squeek.
I am sure there are many opinions about pads and rotors but this is my experience.
Good luck
Old 04-29-2009, 11:00 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

There are a wide variety of pads available for different types of driving. For general street use, there are some good ceramic pads that provide vey good braking characteristics and do not generate any brake dust. NAP has some good pads, Raybestos pads work well as do the Hawk ceramics.

IF you drive the car in a "spirited" manner then look at the Hawk HPS pad. This is a great pad for autocross and just when you want stop quickly. Another pad at this level is the EBC YellowStuff.

A few years ago, I tried a set of the EBC GreenStuff pads and while they worked for general street use, they sucked for had braking. I completely ruined a set for one track day which was 4 20 minute sessions. EBC is under new ownership and they have changed their pad materials and supposedly are much better than a few years ago.

For general street use, any good rotor will do. Drilled and slotted rotors are fine for appearance or "bling" but stay away from them if you intend to do serious brake work like track days. Use stock rotors for that.

A good semi-metallic pad should work fine and the Hawk HPS is available for the 85 in both front and rear. The HP+ pad is more of a track day/HPDE pad and work fine for that, but these pads do need some heat in them to work. They also generate tons of dust.

You didn't say what overall condition the brake system is in, but I would recommend a complete fluid flush along with new rotors. For street use, Castrol LMA is a good fluid and another is the Ford (yes, F*** ) MotorSports HD fluid. You will need just under a quart for a full flush. Either of these comes in small cans so you don't waste any extra in the quart size jugs.

If the flexible brake lines are more than 10 years old, get new ones; either stock or braided stainless steel lines. Old rubber lines will get soft and the interior hose part can expand as brake pressure rises and actually cuts braking performance.
Old 04-29-2009, 11:32 AM
CAJUN C4
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check Out Kool Vue Kevlar/Ceramics. I believe offered for an 85'

www.thepartsbin.com
Old 05-04-2009, 08:47 AM
pitchadude
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I went to the ZONE and picked up pads for my 95. Duralast Gold-c, a ceramic pad that stops great. Time will tell on durability but front and rear only cost 100 bucks combined.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:00 PM
GKK
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Don't buy the EBC's. Buy the Hawk HPS and you won't be dissapointed.

I've tried Performance Friction Z, EBC Greenstuff, Satisfied brake pads but the best by Far are the Hawk HPS.

Get notified of new replies

To Brake pads for 85 which ones?

Quick Reply: Brake pads for 85 which ones?