Go Back   Corvette Forum > C4 Corvettes, 1984 - 1996 > C4 Tech/Performance
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C4 Tech/Performance
L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine Sponsored by
J&D Corvette

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!


Corvette Store
 
 
C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads
 
 
Vendor Directory
  
Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-03-2009, 06:30 PM   #1
slickfx3
CF Senior Member
 
slickfx3's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2008
Location: Los Angeles CA
Default Why does the new engine run so hot?

it goes to 250 degees in 70 degree weather, do I need a bigger radiator?
slickfx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 06:38 PM   #2
IRAraid
CF Senior Member
 
IRAraid's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2006
Location: Elkton MD
Default Why so hot

Clean the old one. Usually lots of leaves between the A/C condenser and the radiator. But the real problem is the small dirt and debris in the fins of the radiator. You can't see it until the radiator is out. If you have deep pockets, just replace the radiator as removal and install are the same as a thorough cleaning.
IRAraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 06:40 PM   #3
slickfx3
CF Senior Member
 
slickfx3's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2008
Location: Los Angeles CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRAraid View Post
Clean the old one. Usually lots of leaves between the A/C condenser and the radiator. But the real problem is the small dirt and debris in the fins of the radiator. You can't see it until the radiator is out. If you have deep pockets, just replace the radiator as removal and install are the same as a thorough cleaning.

Is there a way to see the leaves? how do they get in there? The AC condenser is preventing the leaves from going in, like an air filter


what is the step by step( sorry) procedure to remove and replace the radiator? thanks...

Last edited by slickfx3; 05-03-2009 at 06:42 PM.
slickfx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 06:48 PM   #4
IRAraid
CF Senior Member
 
IRAraid's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2006
Location: Elkton MD
Default Bottom feeder

Get under the front end and look up in front of the black plastic air dam between the condenser and the radiator. You'll probably see a leaf or two or LOTS. If there's a Walmart plastic bag, that's the problem.
Removing the radiator is a pain because the shrouds have to come off. Teeeeeny screws that are even more difficult to install than they were to get out. I haven't had to do mine but reading about it (see the 'search' tab above for radiator cleaning) sounds tough.
I have blown out many radiators' air side with compressed air and found it really helped the cooling. For the water side, there is a good radiator shop in Newark, DE, that I use. He also does very nice radiator and A/C repair.
IRAraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 06:54 PM   #5
farscape1a
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jul 2005
Location: Holtsville NY
Send a message via AIM to farscape1a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRAraid View Post
Get under the front end and look up in front of the black plastic air dam between the condenser and the radiator. You'll probably see a leaf or two or LOTS. If there's a Walmart plastic bag, that's the problem.
Removing the radiator is a pain because the shrouds have to come off. Teeeeeny screws that are even more difficult to install than they were to get out. I haven't had to do mine but reading about it (see the 'search' tab above for radiator cleaning) sounds tough.
I have blown out many radiators' air side with compressed air and found it really helped the cooling. For the water side, there is a good radiator shop in Newark, DE, that I use. He also does very nice radiator and A/C repair.
i've done radiator removals before, they are a PITA! but doable if you're patient and if you have the time and the right tools. the shroud definitely has to come off. there are (if memory serves correctly) 3 or 4 little screws down sides of the shroud and along the top back of the shroud holding it all together. there isn't much room in there for any kind of tool, so you would have to use either a 1/4" rachet or an open-end wrench to get the job done. the intake tube also has to come off, but the air filter and air box can stay on. they don't get in the way. then it's just a matter of pulling it off slowly and carefully. getting it back together is a little bit of a PITA also because there are 2 rubber alignment bumpers at the top of the shroud that hold the radiator and the A/C condenser core in place. it's time consuming, but doable... hope this helps...
farscape1a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 07:51 PM   #6
jerkyboy
CF Senior Member
 
jerkyboy's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2002
Location: Purcellville VA
Default

Also, since you put the new engine in, did you burp the system? You may have an air pocket. I went through this headache on the last rebuild I did.
__________________
2003 EB Z06 Pfadt sways, Johnny O shocks, corner weighted, TSW Nurburgring's, Hurst Shifter, stock motor

'89 6spd Vert-Hardtop ***SOLD**
solid roller 434, Dart Little M block, Brodix T1 M2heads 227,crower 6.0" rods,JE forged flat top pistons Eagle stroker crank, Comp Cams solid Roller 254-260, .650(ish) lift, 3.73 rear, hurst shifter, DFI..
570chp/535ctq on Superflo engine dyno
jerkyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 09:11 PM   #7
slickfx3
CF Senior Member
 
slickfx3's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2008
Location: Los Angeles CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerkyboy View Post
Also, since you put the new engine in, did you burp the system? You may have an air pocket. I went through this headache on the last rebuild I did.

Thanks I'll try that, It seemed to have cooled down to 225-230.
oerhaps the engine was new and tight?
slickfx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 11:10 PM   #8
Yoggie
Junior Member
 
Yoggie's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2009
Location: Albuquerque NM
Default

I just replaced my radiator this weekend (85). It cost $130 at a local car parts store and took a few hours. I have never done a radiator change before and I am still a beginning mechanic and I didnt find it very hard. It helps alot to have someone else with you when it comes to moving the radiators around. I also replaced the radiator hoses at the same time. Replacing the bottom radiator hose was the hardest part of the entire install.
Yoggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 11:12 PM   #9
slickfx3
CF Senior Member
 
slickfx3's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2008
Location: Los Angeles CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoggie View Post
I just replaced my radiator this weekend (85). It cost $130 at a local car parts store and took a few hours. I have never done a radiator change before and I am still a beginning mechanic and I didnt find it very hard. It helps alot to have someone else with you when it comes to moving the radiators around. I also replaced the radiator hoses at the same time. Replacing the bottom radiator hose was the hardest part of the entire install.
Thanks that's encouraging, was the debris and leaves in between the radiator?
slickfx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 11:22 PM   #10
coupeguy2001
CF Senior Member
 
coupeguy2001's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2006
Location: Phoenix AZ
Send a message via AIM to coupeguy2001
Default

I removed my radiator, and changed the upper and lower hoses. There was a ton of plant seeds stuck between the fins on the radiator. The air conditiooning condenser was dirty as well. i used a hose and a spray nozzle, but had to "bang" the radiator on the concrete driveway to loosen the seeds.Then I washed it out better, and got ,032 wire and poked out the stubborn ones.
It took most of the day to remove, and clean and do the hoses,
Do not use compressed air, as the high pressure air bends the fins over and stops all airflow altogether.
coupeguy2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 11:28 PM   #11
Yoggie
Junior Member
 
Yoggie's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2009
Location: Albuquerque NM
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickfx3 View Post
Thanks that's encouraging, was the debris and leaves in between the radiator?
There was quite a bit of sludge and leaves. They were mostly under the radiator but it is hard to tell if that was the case or if they fell off when I was taking the radiator off. I live in Albuquerque and nothing grows here, so I am sure you live will have a lot more leaves then what I had.

Not sure if it matters but my car has 123k miles on it.
Yoggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 09:30 AM   #12
Yoggie
Junior Member
 
Yoggie's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2009
Location: Albuquerque NM
Default

One more thing that I just remembered. The transmission on mine (4+3) uses the radiator for cooling so I lost some trans fluid in the change. You will want to have some fluid on hand so that you can top off the trans when you are done.
Yoggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 10:14 AM   #13
Demonic85
CF Senior Member
 
Demonic85's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2006
Location: sw Ohio
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoggie View Post
One more thing that I just remembered. The transmission on mine (4+3) uses the radiator for cooling so I lost some trans fluid in the change. You will want to have some fluid on hand so that you can top off the trans when you are done.
manual transmissions do not use the radiator for cooling. Are you sure its not an auto?
Demonic85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 10:37 AM   #14
larry00
CF Senior Member
 
larry00's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2006
Location: Viva Terlingua Republic Of Texas
Larry Hedge
Default

I just made a smaller attachment for my shop vac and ran it through the hole in the shroud where the tranny lines go in on my 95 .
Got the big stuff but I'm sure when temps go up I will have to pull it and do a good job anyway.
larry00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 03:01 PM   #15
Wathen1955
CF Senior Member
 
Wathen1955's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2009
Location: Hemet CA
Default

I just had my 96 taken to the shop 2 weeks ago for running hot. During the mechanics investigation, we discovered a small bird nest LOL. I just bought the car 2 months ago, and the temperatures were still mild which explains why I have not seen increases in water temperature.

In my case, I decided to have the entire system flushed, new radiator and hoses. Even after all this, it still runs on the hot side since the fan(s) don't come on until 220F or so. My car pool buddy has a Trans-Am, and he was thinking about adding this:
http://www.jegs.com/i/JET/561/60600/10002/-1
Do they have something comparable for the Vet, or would it be easier to change the setting in the computer module? I hate the idea of the car running this hot, especially where I live in the desert.
Wathen1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 03:25 PM   #16
slickfx3
CF Senior Member
 
slickfx3's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2008
Location: Los Angeles CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wathen1955 View Post
I just had my 96 taken to the shop 2 weeks ago for running hot. During the mechanics investigation, we discovered a small bird nest LOL. I just bought the car 2 months ago, and the temperatures were still mild which explains why I have not seen increases in water temperature.

In my case, I decided to have the entire system flushed, new radiator and hoses. Even after all this, it still runs on the hot side since the fan(s) don't come on until 220F or so. My car pool buddy has a Trans-Am, and he was thinking about adding this:
http://www.jegs.com/i/JET/561/60600/10002/-1
Do they have something comparable for the Vet, or would it be easier to change the setting in the computer module? I hate the idea of the car running this hot, especially where I live in the desert.
I think they can change the temp constant in the memcal/prom, to start lower and stop lower., that is a pain too.
slickfx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 04:18 PM   #17
PGLT1
CF Member
 
PGLT1's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2008
Location: Montgomery NY
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wathen1955 View Post
I just had my 96 taken to the shop 2 weeks ago for running hot. During the mechanics investigation, we discovered a small bird nest LOL. I just bought the car 2 months ago, and the temperatures were still mild which explains why I have not seen increases in water temperature.

In my case, I decided to have the entire system flushed, new radiator and hoses. Even after all this, it still runs on the hot side since the fan(s) don't come on until 220F or so. My car pool buddy has a Trans-Am, and he was thinking about adding this:
http://www.jegs.com/i/JET/561/60600/10002/-1
Do they have something comparable for the Vet, or would it be easier to change the setting in the computer module? I hate the idea of the car running this hot, especially where I live in the desert.
From what i've heard those switches aren't the best method. Depending on what thermostat (anything above 160*) you have the fans will probably never turn off and you'll burn out a fan motor alot faster. The fans are set to turn on a 227* which is normal for an LTx.

I'm not the most familiar but I think you can change fan on/off settings by tuning the car and changing the parameters of the fans on/off cycle.
Im thinking (for your location) a 190* tstat and the fans on at 220* and off at 200*. Your temps are normal but scary to some who don't know the LTx. You still want enough heat to evaporate the water vapor, etc. in the engine. But I feel your concern living near the gates of hell..lol

Good Luck...

Fred
PGLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 04:22 PM   #18
PGLT1
CF Member
 
PGLT1's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2008
Location: Montgomery NY
Default

How did i not see slick's response? :o Oh well I just said it again with a little other info.
PGLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 08:57 PM   #19
Wathen1955
CF Senior Member
 
Wathen1955's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2009
Location: Hemet CA
Default

Hehe...gates of hell is close unless you live in Death Valley in CA or in Laughlin Nevada. My wife and I made a trip there a few years back, and when we opened the door, the temp outside was 122F in the shade. The guy that took our car to park it said, "it will cool down by midnight to 95F."

I guess after these years of having cars with a stupid gauge that does not really indicate the exact temperature. The one in my Ford 2001 F150 Crew Cab does not have any numbers on the dial. Only cold and hot marks at the extremes. Hell, for all I know, it probably runs at the same temperature, but because I can't measure the exact temperature via the gauge, I really don't care since it rides in the middle of the gauge all day long. Even the wife's Honda Accord is the same with a similar type of gauge.

After reading all these "hot" threads, I guess I'm going to leave it alone for now, knowing that it will be very important to make sure you have the right mixture of anti-freeze; otherwise, you risk a boil over of the cooling system.
Wathen1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 08:57 PM
 
Go Back   Corvette Forum > C4 Corvettes, 1984 - 1996 > C4 Tech/Performance
Reload this Page Why does the new engine run so hot?
 
 
 
Reply

Tags
1992, 56160600, corvette, engine, engines, fan, hot, run, running, switch


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Click for Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
____ Kale Off Topic 3 08-29-2007 08:37 PM
t Crushinator Testing 0 10-29-2005 04:21 PM
:-) Magnet Testing 0 02-28-2005 08:26 PM
... INSANITY Drag Racing 1 01-23-2005 02:04 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:03 PM.


Emails & Password Backup