C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Wiper sweeps past the windshield

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 12:58 AM
slickfx3
Safety Car

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Wiper sweeps past the windshield

Thanks for those that showed me how to replace the wipers.

I notice they don't park low enough

When I turn them on the driver side sweeps past the winshield, I took it off the splined shaft and noticed a keyway, I can't rotate the arm to a lower position.

Expert comments?
Old 05-09-2009, 01:07 AM
Demonic85
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

yeah the wipers are a huge PITA when you do anything to them. I've been trying to fix this problem myself for nearly a year. If you remove the cowl screen at the base of the windshield (driver side) you will notice 2 10mm nuts on each arm on the back of the motor. You can loosen these and adjust the arms, then retighten the nuts. If that doesnt fix it then we're in the same boat.
Old 05-09-2009, 01:15 AM
jimg's'93
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm thinking about just using shorter blades.
Old 05-09-2009, 01:46 AM
slickfx3
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jimg's'93
I'm thinking about just using shorter blades.
I read about 18" but that's only 1 inch on each end, it blows past more than that...like 4 to 5 inches

Last edited by slickfx3; 05-09-2009 at 02:27 AM.
Old 05-09-2009, 01:47 AM
slickfx3
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Demonic85
yeah the wipers are a huge PITA when you do anything to them. I've been trying to fix this problem myself for nearly a year. If you remove the cowl screen at the base of the windshield (driver side) you will notice 2 10mm nuts on each arm on the back of the motor. You can loosen these and adjust the arms, then retighten the nuts. If that doesnt fix it then we're in the same boat.
and how did it get maladjusted in the first place, I don't see anyone having a life to waste moving them out? do they get loose?

any pics?

or perhaps it self explanatory.....
Old 05-09-2009, 02:09 AM
jimg's'93
Drifting

I haven't looked close enough at the system, but I'd bet somewhere along the line a linkage has wallowed out.
Old 05-09-2009, 02:27 AM
slickfx3
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jimg's'93
I haven't looked close enough at the system, but I'd bet somewhere along the line a linkage has wallowed out.

Mine parks high enough to think the retraction phase is non existant, or broken, you know what I mean?, perhaps it is a electrical problem,something in the curcuit switchs the motor on just enough to park the blades.

Expert Comments?

When they are wiping away they do their job away from their home, and when you turn them off they go home, perhaps it is not an adjustment, but they lost their way home...
Old 05-09-2009, 06:41 AM
cshuman
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by slickfx3
Thanks for those that showed me how to replace the wipers.

I notice they don't park low enough

When I turn them on the driver side sweeps past the winshield, I took it off the splined shaft and noticed a keyway, I can't rotate the arm to a lower position.

Expert comments?
I've had the same problem. If you look around the wiper shaft there are three tork screws. Loosen them, don't remove them, and you should be able to adjust the shaft position. It may take a couple of times but you,ll get it.
Old 05-09-2009, 07:13 AM
grinditout
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Flip your blades around, they are mounted backwards.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:50 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

He said the park too high; that's not a blade install problem. And the blades for Corvettes have their attaching points in the center of the blade so flipping them won't make any difference.

His problem sounds like the arms have slipped on their knurled shaft or were removed at some point and not replaced in the same spot or the linkage has worn to where everything is so loose that the assembly won't move down far enough when the motor shuts off in the park positon.

The motor (or the internal gears) could be bad too.
Old 05-09-2009, 11:02 AM
slickfx3
Safety Car

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
He said the park too high; that's not a blade install problem. And the blades for Corvettes have their attaching points in the center of the blade so flipping them won't make any difference.

His problem sounds like the arms have slipped on their knurled shaft or were removed at some point and not replaced in the same spot or the linkage has worn to where everything is so loose that the assembly won't move down far enough when the motor shuts off in the park positon.

The motor (or the internal gears) could be bad too.
Califonia car, It may have seen very little rain and for sure no snow to torque the assembly, besides the PO was **** and kept it garaged from the weather, hope it not worn parts...

there seems to be only one way to replace it on the splined shaft, ( it has a keyway....
Old 05-10-2009, 10:56 AM
woody1243
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had rhe same problem on my 84. Upgraded to 88 wiper arms (helped a little) but still had the over the windshield sweep. open hood go up by firewall there is a about 2" by 3" plastic grate over the wiper mechanism, remove. There are four nuts on the wiper linkage in there, 10mm. If you loosen them up you can adjust the wiper sweep. I adjusted driver side first as that is the first to park. I moved it over the park position (above the black guide holder) so it will go all the way into the park position. Tight those 2 nuts. Then Do the passenger side the same way. I lucked out and got it on the first try. Make sure you wet the windshield when you test so you don't scratch the windshield. It make take a few tries so be patient.
Good luck,
Woody
Old 05-11-2009, 11:13 AM
Square
Melting Slicks

I watched Gordon Killebrew adjust the wipers on my friend 86' at the Forum "Cruise In" in 2005. He loosened the 10mm nuts under the grate as otheres have mentioned. He then pulled blade arm down quite a bit past the firewall, I was actually a bit shocked by this, but figured he knew far better than I what the car could take. He then tightened the nuts, and tested the wipers with the motor running and they were fixed.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:18 AM
Demonic85
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Well we can all agree that the C4 wiper system is garbage. I wont even drive in the rain now because of it.

Get notified of new replies

To Wiper sweeps past the windshield

Quick Reply: Wiper sweeps past the windshield