Go Back   Corvette Forum > C4 Corvettes, 1984 - 1996 > C4 Tech/Performance
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C4 Tech/Performance
L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine Sponsored by
J&D Corvette

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 05-12-2009, 02:00 AM   #1
mavidatt
CF Senior Member

Default best paint?

I have 89 vette and am going to get new paintjob for it. What is the best type of paint to use? What color do you all think I should go with, what do you think c4 models look best in what color?
mavidatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 10:54 AM   #2
GKK
CF Senior Member

Quality body shops use high quality materials so, their paint jobs look great and last a long time. Dupont, PPG, Gentec are all good brands that are used daily by all the good shops.

I like Black because it makes the Vette look mean.
GKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 11:00 AM   #3
mseven
CF Senior Member

I would say the "best'paint" if the budget is there is 'House of Kolor', my budget is more like ppg.
mseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 11:02 AM   #4
Elephanthead
CF Senior Member

Use what your body shop prefers, they know what works best, and what they are best at using. I highly recommend you not DIY unless your really willing to implement everything you need to do to do it safely.

Finding a reputable body shop can be hard, but it seems they are all in need of business right now.
Elephanthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 06:42 PM   #5
powerpigz-51
CF Senior Member

Best type of paint? Urethane Base/Clear or Single stage. Best color is one where you don't have to paint door jams (same as original)
powerpigz-51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 07:38 PM   #6
RLG
CF Senior Member

There are many more brands of paint than those mentioned here. All of them work, It's more of a preference and being familiar with the mixing and spraying procedures. I prefer Sherwin / Williams. I sold their paint for 3 years and I am familiar with how it shoots. As an added benefit I get it cheap. It was less expensive than most of those already mentioned when I was there in 2006.As stated before if you are going to have it done by a body shop go with what they are using.
RLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 08:22 PM   #7
JackDidley
CF Senior Member

Color change is time consuming and expensive.
JackDidley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 09:30 PM   #8
CorvetteMike2004
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Default paint

Been painting cars for 30 years. The ONLY paint I use is DuPont Chroma Base/ clear. Expensive, because its good. Simple to use. Easy on the Blood Pressure.

House of Kolor Is custom paint. I have used it. Not much demand for it by me.

Good luck

Corvette Mike
CorvetteMike2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 09:47 PM   #9
l98tpi
CF Senior Member
NCM Sinkhole Donor
Support Corvetteforum!

Bob Armstrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorvetteMike2004 View Post
Been painting cars for 30 years. The ONLY paint I use is DuPont Chroma Base/ clear. Expensive, because its good. Simple to use. Easy on the Blood Pressure.

House of Kolor Is custom paint. I have used it. Not much demand for it by me.

Good luck

Corvette Mike

For a quality finish our body shop uses Dupont Imron Elite. It does cost a bit more, but you get what you pay for. Ever see a car that just got painted and looks real good and then see it 4 or 5 years later and it looks like crap? That is the difference between a quality paint and a economically priced paint.
l98tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 09:53 PM   #10
pianoguy
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by l98tpi View Post

For a quality finish our body shop uses Dupont Imron Elite. It does cost a bit more, but you get what you pay for. Ever see a car that just got painted and looks real good and then see it 4 or 5 years later and it looks like crap? That is the difference between a quality paint and a economically priced paint.
Imron is tough stuff - I had a custom van painted with it 30 years ago, and it wore like iron. I recall they used to paint over-the-road trucks with it because of its durability. I was talking to a guy last year at a show who had a sweet '62, and that's what he had on his car.
pianoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 12:36 AM   #11
samsonb
CF Senior Member

Southern Polyurethanes get alot of praise for their primers and clears. They don't do colors anymore, so with that. I've been recommended House of Kolor base.

From what I've been recommended, is to use Southern Polyurethanes Epoxy, then go straight into the base/clear. Their Epoxy is supposed to stick very well to the SMC and Urethane bumpers, but remain flexible to not crack when the body sways.
samsonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 09:00 AM   #12
flynn508
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerpigz-51 View Post
Best type of paint? Urethane Base/Clear or Single stage. Best color is one where you don't have to paint door jams (same as original)

I spoke to one of the local shops here in CT because I also need a new paint job; he said they use R.M DIAMONT paints. Has anyone ever heard of them? Is it quality paint? I have never used this particular shop for anything yet, but if they are using really good paint I would think it would speak to the rest of their quality.

Last edited by flynn508; 05-13-2009 at 10:40 AM.
flynn508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 02:15 PM   #13
SunCr
CF Senior Member

I think more prep than paint - I am House of Kolor Midnight Blue Pearl over Black with a Clear all over a sealer, but it's all in the prep (and color sanding). I chose a local rod shop (they built at least one of Ridler Award Cars), but you need to decide what you want - Stock/Custom (keep in mind the touchup factor - possible to next in impossible)? - then ask around. I liked my shop because they sprayed up a few sample panels and pick out what I liked best. They also let me come in anytime I wanted to and nitpick anything I wanted. It wasn't cheap, but it never exceeded the agreed price, even when I told them I wanted something redone.
SunCr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 01:23 AM   #14
GKK
CF Senior Member

I agree, It's ALL in the Prep the body shop does.

The most expensive high quality paint in the world, will not last very long if the body is not prepped properly.
GKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 01:23 AM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > C4 Corvettes, 1984 - 1996 > C4 Tech/Performance
Reload this Page best paint?

Tags
2002, auto, base, chroma, clear, corvette, diamont, difference, dupont, elite, forum, imron, paint, ppg, rm