C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Pre-Cat removal

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 09:28 PM
Dolfan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pre-Cat removal

I was just under the car getting the exhaust off the manifold for my head removal project and I looked at the y-pipe to the main cat. I'm thinking that an easy thing to do is remove the y-pipe take it to a good muffler shop and have them just cut the pre-cats out and replace with pipe welded in place????????? This wy my O2 sensor stays right where it is and all bolts back in.

I don't want ot change the pipe size or anything, and I'm not going to headers just wanted to make minor changes including replacing the main cat with a high flow.

Does this sound like a good plan?
Old 05-13-2009, 09:40 PM
engle1147
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you remove it from the car it will be very hard on the muffler shop to weld the hollow/filler pipes in and have everything line back up correctly so it bolts back up to the car easily. I recommend welding it why it is still on the car or replacing the Y pipe with one that is already without pre cats.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:56 PM
CorvetteMike2024
Corvette Junkie
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,021 Likes on 839 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Default vette

Originally Posted by engle1147
If you remove it from the car it will be very hard on the muffler shop to weld the hollow/filler pipes in and have everything line back up correctly so it bolts back up to the car easily. I recommend welding it why it is still on the car or replacing the Y pipe with one that is already without pre cats.

100%
Old 05-13-2009, 09:58 PM
Dolfan
Burning Brakes

I figured a good shop would be able to put it into a "jig" of some sorts but I guess I'm asking a bit much. OK, thanks for the advice.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:11 PM
jeffp1167
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dolfan
I figured a good shop would be able to put it into a "jig" of some sorts but I guess I'm asking a bit much. OK, thanks for the advice.
just punch the precats out
Old 05-13-2009, 10:43 PM
Aggravated4life
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by jeffp1167
Do that or,
If you dont mind to spend a little money,get this if you havent seen it.

http://www.mamotorworks.com/corvette-3-36-971.html

Ps,I had my exhaust welded and etc before and they never lasted.Had leaks,cracks,rust or etc with some shoddy workmanship and money wasted.Bought a replacement pipe like the one in the link.

Last edited by Aggravated4life; 05-13-2009 at 10:46 PM.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:36 PM
Dolfan
Burning Brakes

If I were to go the route of "punching out" the pre-cats how would I go about that. What to use? pipe? How do you get around the bend of the down pipe portion from the manifold?
Old 05-13-2009, 11:54 PM
jeffp1167
Safety Car

heres what someone did to mine but I dont know who or when he did it.

anyways take sawzall or grinder after romoving the heat shield and open it up, then simply gut it and re-weld the piece back on and then put the heat shiel back on.

Last edited by jeffp1167; 05-13-2009 at 11:57 PM.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:39 AM
M.J.L.
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '10-'11

Originally Posted by engle1147

Originally Posted by CorvetteMike2004
100%

Originally Posted by Aggravated4life
Do that or,
If you dont mind to spend a little money,get this if you havent seen it.

http://www.mamotorworks.com/corvette-3-36-971.html

Ps,I had my exhaust welded and etc before and they never lasted.Had leaks,cracks,rust or etc with some shoddy workmanship and money wasted.Bought a replacement pipe like the one in the link.
I went with there true dual set up that connects directly to the manifolds though. No cats period.

If I were to go the route of "punching out" the pre-cats how would I go about that. What to use? pipe? How do you get around the bend of the down pipe portion from the manifold?
I jabbed a tire tool thru them. Then stuck a shop vacum in them. Took it around the block, locked it in first gear, and the car took off like a bat outta hell. My skin peeled back to form a temporairly unmovable smile.

Signature will help explain...
Old 05-14-2009, 09:32 AM
TJM
Drifting

I was just under the car getting the exhaust off the manifold for my head removal project and I looked at the y-pipe to the main cat. I'm thinking that an easy thing to do is remove the y-pipe take it to a good muffler shop and have them just cut the pre-cats out and replace with pipe welded in place????????? This wy my O2 sensor stays right where it is and all bolts back in.

I don't want ot change the pipe size or anything, and I'm not going to headers just wanted to make minor changes including replacing the main cat with a high flow.

Does this sound like a good plan?
No. spring for a new pipe $200.00 at Summit, Mid America, et al

TJM
Old 05-14-2009, 10:46 AM
floridamale
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The ones on my 87 started rattling so I had them cut off and a pipe welded on but they were on the car at the time there were a couple of slight bends they had to do for proper alignment. If your Y pipe is still good have them welded if not replace the pipe. However if you live somewhere they have a visual inspection you will not pass.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:35 AM
Dolfan
Burning Brakes

I'm Atlanta and we do have visual inspection. But how is the average tech running one of these places going to know that this model originally had pre-cats and then the main cat???? I guess if I go with the new pipe even the visual inspection would show a cat and O2 sensor so only a Corvette enthusiast tech might know the difference.

For simplicity I think I'm going with a new pipe.
Old 05-14-2009, 04:33 PM
j-wireman
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Some states have emission exemptions for cars with low annual mileage. In PA, any car driven less than 5,000 miles is exempt. You should check out GA's law.

I'm with the other guys. Replace the front Y with one without the pre-cats. PLUS, replace the main cat with a high-flow cat. Random Technologies makes the best one, I think. This is exactly what I am going to do (when I get the time and the money). Freer-flowing mufflers will be added later.
I was asked once, "Why have any cats on it at all?" Because, if I go over the 5,000 mile limit, I'd get tested. And FAIL.

Mike
'90 'vert
Old 05-14-2009, 05:46 PM
RLG
Burning Brakes

I read somewhere that the EPA approved the removal of the pre- cats. I also went with a true dual exhaust system with no Cats at all. If you have inspections I would go with the front y pipes with no pre - cats. The previous owner had cut the originals out and the welding job was bad. It leaked and dumped exhaust gas into the interior.
Old 05-14-2009, 06:09 PM
jsinga
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You can beat the precats out with a piece of 1/2 steel pipe, ridgid conduit, not emt. Just bend it up until you get it down in there and start wacking away until you break up the bricks. you need to take the Y pipe out to do it. The y pipe and main cat will come out fairly easy on most since most have a bolt on flange on the back. Just spray the manifold bolts and let them sit a few minutes before you start.
cost 0$
Old 05-14-2009, 09:47 PM
Dolfan
Burning Brakes

Yep, I'm going with a new front Y-pipe and a new main cat. I think I saw the difference between random tech and Magnaflow is like $345/140. For this build I really can't justify $345 for a modest L98 through stock manifolds.

I think I'll go with a new Magnaflow paired with a 2 1/2 front Y and hope that let things breathe better than stock.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:01 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

I think I'll go with a new Magnaflow paired with a 2 1/2 front Y and hope that let things breathe better than stock.
I think that's the best move. And, you'll notice the difference with the bigger front-Y (as I also did that 3 yrs back). Better breathing mufflers on the back would be good too. Don't be surprised when it gets a bit louder. Cats also muffle.

gp

Get notified of new replies

To Pre-Cat removal

Old 05-14-2009, 11:40 PM
coupeguy2001
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Finalist

or, you can buy a front Y pipe off of an 85. They didn't have precats!!! and they have enough patina that they look original. AND, there's no welding because they fit your car
Old 05-14-2009, 11:56 PM
jeffp1167
Safety Car

I'm Atlanta and we do have visual inspection. But how is the average tech running one of these places going to know that this model originally had pre-cats and then the main cat???? I guess if I go with the new pipe even the visual inspection would show a cat and O2 sensor so only a Corvette enthusiast tech might know the difference.

For simplicity I think I'm going with a new pipe.
thats basically why I had to do mine like this I figure the early 84-85ish had no precats and could pass sniffer thest. mine is done like this because I heard them rattling and to pass visual is all
Old 05-16-2009, 10:08 AM
RS69
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

+1, this works and is very affordable..

Quick Reply: Pre-Cat removal