C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

EGR question

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 07:18 PM
5POINT7
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EGR question

So my car is throwin h32 and h44. I am almost 100% sure its egr either not opening, or getting stuck.

As the car starts it idles cold, once it gets a little warm the idle starts to have issues until the check engine light comes on. than it runs fine, but with poor gas mileage.

I read a bunch of old threads about issues people had and the answers i got from them were, it could be due to a faulty EGR Sol, EGR valve or EGR Temp Sensor. The valve can be tested by a mini vac as a few people had said. Is there a way to test the solenoid? Also which temp sensor is it talking about? Is it just like the thermostat or is there a sensor close to the egr valve?

Thanks
Jason
Old 05-16-2009, 09:37 PM
gw962
Racer

Not real sure but I don't think your LT1 has an EGR temp sensor. IIRC, those weren't used after 89.
Old 05-16-2009, 10:30 PM
M.J.L.
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11

People delete EGRs all together and don't have issues with it running weird....It throws a code yes, but other than that, no issues even on heavily modded motors.
Old 05-16-2009, 10:39 PM
korvette4u
Drifting

Originally Posted by Sorry Officer
People delete EGRs all together and don't have issues with it running weird....It throws a code yes, but other than that, no issues even on heavily modded motors.
i agree no problem
get rid of egr all together.,. do the bt pass and for get it..
Old 05-16-2009, 10:46 PM
floridamale
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your in Atlanta Ga. you have smog inspections you might not be able to pass with the EGR deleted.
Old 05-16-2009, 10:52 PM
BobRR3
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The EGR not opening will not affect the idle. Also, The EGR solenoid does not energize when the car is idling anyway. I doubt that your problem is with the EGR unless it's stuck open. Hook a piece of hose directly to the EGR port. You can suck on the other end and see if the egr is moving in and out.

Get notified of new replies

To EGR question

Quick Reply: EGR question