C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Old vs new engine mods

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 10:31 AM
C4fan
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude '10

Default Old vs new engine mods

Back in the day I remember we would take a stock engine and put on headers, loud mufflers, hi-rise intake, holley carb and maybe dual point distributor. These types of mods would boost hp a little and give a back yard mechanic that happy feeling that they have improved their car.

What can this back yard mechanic do to a Lt1 along the same lines. I'm going to install the headers/mufflers but what about the top side of the engine. I assume the Opti can handle mild mods but what about intake/TB.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:36 AM
rickneworleansla
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tuffLUV
Back in the day I remember we would take a stock engine and put on headers, loud mufflers, hi-rise intake, holley carb and maybe dual point distributor. These types of mods would boost hp a little and give a back yard mechanic that happy feeling that they have improved their car.

What can this back yard mechanic do to a Lt1 along the same lines. I'm going to install the headers/mufflers but what about the top side of the engine. I assume the Opti can handle mild mods but what about intake/TB.
Ported heads and intake with cam.
Old 05-25-2009, 11:31 AM
TWISTERUP
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you have the 2.59 rear axle...the 3.07 performance axle is a big improvement (more gear was a big improvement back in the day and still is today!) Mine came w/3.07s---1.6 roller rockers, LT4 springs and a performance tune made a BIG sotp improvement in mine. These cars have good heads and intakes from the factory and lend themselves well to porting. Cam technology has come light years forward from the '70s. And depending on how far you want to go go "in your backyard'....there's always the 383 stroker

oops... I should also mention (although i don't have them yet) most of the members swear by long tube headers

Last edited by TWISTERUP; 05-25-2009 at 11:36 AM. Reason: oops
Old 05-25-2009, 11:33 AM
C4fan
Melting Slicks

St. Jude '10

Originally Posted by rickreeves1
Ported heads and intake with cam.
Are you talking about porting the stock heads and intake or aftermarket performance parts? What's the cost range of these mods considering used cannot be found. And, is the cam necessary to get any benifit from the porting?
Old 05-25-2009, 12:00 PM
92ZR1WANNABE
Racer

I didn't see if your car was a auto or manual. If it is a auto and its cursed with the dreaded 2.59 rear differential, do yourself a favor and replace it asap! 3.07 diffs can be had off of ebay for decent prices and the swaps are pretty easy.

Other then that its still a sbc...... a good tune up goes a very long way, followed by alot of the old basics......exhaust (looks like your car may have a aftermarket system on it already?) , some form of cold air (or cut your lid).

I wouldn't touch the optispark yet if its not giving you any problems.

Also it should be noted that if your car is a speed density car and you start digging into the heads / cam / intake / injectors ect ect you are going to need some tuning and a chip burnt for the motor to run properly.

The advice alot of people gave me when I crawled on this scene 3 or 4 years ago was to drive the car for a year just as it sits before you start modding it. By then you will really know what you want to do with the car. Until then its still decently quick and a very enjoyable car to drive.

Old 05-25-2009, 05:59 PM
rickneworleansla
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tuffLUV
Are you talking about porting the stock heads and intake or aftermarket performance parts? What's the cost range of these mods considering used cannot be found. And, is the cam necessary to get any benifit from the porting?

http://www.elliottsportworks.com/lt1.html

http://www.advancedinduction.com/AiProductsLT1.html
Old 05-25-2009, 09:18 PM
C4fan
Melting Slicks

St. Jude '10

Originally Posted by 92ZR1WANNABE
I didn't see if your car was a auto or manual. If it is a auto and its cursed with the dreaded 2.59 rear differential, do yourself a favor and replace it asap! 3.07 diffs can be had off of ebay for decent prices and the swaps are pretty easy.

Other then that its still a sbc...... a good tune up goes a very long way, followed by alot of the old basics......exhaust (looks like your car may have a aftermarket system on it already?) , some form of cold air (or cut your lid).

I wouldn't touch the optispark yet if its not giving you any problems.

Also it should be noted that if your car is a speed density car and you start digging into the heads / cam / intake / injectors ect ect you are going to need some tuning and a chip burnt for the motor to run properly.

The advice alot of people gave me when I crawled on this scene 3 or 4 years ago was to drive the car for a year just as it sits before you start modding it. By then you will really know what you want to do with the car. Until then its still decently quick and a very enjoyable car to drive.

Thanks for the info, I know what I want to do, just not sure of the best way to get there.

Thanks Rick, This is the type of info I was looking for.

Get notified of new replies

To Old vs new engine mods

Quick Reply: Old vs new engine mods