C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Please explain hat these switches are......?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 12:27 AM
lfsglass
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Please explain hat these switches are......?

TYPO: Please explain what these switches are......?

These switches are connected to the C4 brake pedal.......

Please explain what these switches are and please describe what these switches do.

Brake Switch A-

Brake Switch B (same type of switch is connected to the clutch pedal as well)-

Last edited by lfsglass; 05-31-2009 at 11:52 AM.
Old 05-31-2009, 12:37 AM
_twisted_
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

cruise control and tc lockup
Old 05-31-2009, 12:48 AM
lfsglass
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by _twisted_
Switch A (first photo) = brake lights and what else....?
Switch B (Second Photo) = TC lock up & cruise control ...?

Last edited by lfsglass; 05-31-2009 at 01:11 AM.
Old 05-31-2009, 12:54 AM
Benny42
Drifting

Received 95 Likes on 83 Posts

I know that the one with the vacuum hose is the cruise
control switch. benny
Old 05-31-2009, 01:09 AM
lfsglass
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Benny42
I know that the one with the vacuum hose is the cruise
control switch. benny
The second photo (Switch B) = torque converter lock up & cruise control.......?

What are the plugs in the first photo (Switch A).....?
Switch A w/ two plugs (first photo): Which plug controls the brake lights, what is the other plug for?
Old 05-31-2009, 03:16 AM
rodj
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by _twisted_
What year?
My '87 FSM shows a set of spare terminals on the brake switch

Last edited by rodj; 05-31-2009 at 03:25 AM.
Old 05-31-2009, 10:35 AM
lfsglass
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rodj
What year?
My '87 FSM shows a set of spare terminals on the brake switch
'91 vette......I switched from a 700R4 to a '92 ZF6.

I have one switch type "B" connected to the clutch pedal.

I have one switch type "A" and one swithch type "B" connected to the brake pedal.

Not sure what does what and what wires/pluges connect into each.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:39 AM
pletzvet
Pro

Originally Posted by lfsglass
TYPO: Please explain what these switches are......?

These switches are connected to the C4 brake pedal.......

Please explain what these switches are and please describe what these switches do.

Brake Switch A-

Brake Switch B-
I started a thread a couple of days ago about these switches - thanks for showing pictures.

I can add the following (based on experience) - the TC lock up switch is the one with the vacuum hose attached. Activating this switch with the brake pedal disengages the cruise control, if cruise control is set on, and it disengages the TC lock up, if the TC lock up is in lock up under normal parameters. The TC lock up circuit is normally in closed circuit mode, so when you depress the brake pedal, you open the circuit - disengaging TC lock up. I am guessing that pressing the brake pedal also opens a valve that releases any vacuum that might be there with cruise control engaged. I just finished patching a switch into the pink wire on the TC lock-up/cruise control switch so I can now disengage the TC lock up manually - especially nice for city driving and slower secondary highway driving.

The other switch is for your brake light. Depressing your brake pedal, closes the circuit on this switch - which in turn activates your brake lights. You will need a schematic to be certain of where all the wires go, but keep in mind your brake lights are also integrated with your signal lights and there probably is some secondary circuitry going on which could be related to this.

As far as affecting your transmission swap - the switch that I would expect might come into play would be the TC/Cruise control switch. The brake light switch might have some safety features connected to it as well - for example starting - but I doubt it, since our cars are too old for this.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:54 AM
lfsglass
Burning Brakes

Switch B (second photo).......

What is its function on the brake pedal (on the FX6 Manual trans car)?
What is its function on the clutch pedal?
Old 05-31-2009, 12:58 PM
pletzvet
Pro

Originally Posted by lfsglass
Switch B (second photo).......

What is its function on the brake pedal (on the FX6 Manual trans car)?
What is its function on the clutch pedal?
According to the GM Shop Manual for my 85, the diagram for the manual transmission has 2 of the *Brake Switch B* styled switches present - one for the brake pedal and one for the clutch pedal. Although it appears that both are equipped with with a hose nipple, only the one that is activated by the brake pedal has the hose attached to it. The one which is activated by your clutch pedal is identified as "Cruise Electrical Release (CLUTCH)". The Type B switch which is activated by the Brake pedal is identified as "Cruise Electrical Release (BRAKE)". This makes sense to me because, of course with a manual transmission, you don't have a torque converter to control. The electrical function of these 2 Type B switches is to shut off the cruise control, whenever you touch your brake or clutch pedal.
Old 05-31-2009, 04:57 PM
lfsglass
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pletzvet
According to the GM Shop Manual for my 85, the diagram for the manual transmission has 2 of the *Brake Switch B* styled switches present - one for the brake pedal and one for the clutch pedal. Although it appears that both are equipped with with a hose nipple, only the one that is activated by the brake pedal has the hose attached to it. The one which is activated by your clutch pedal is identified as "Cruise Electrical Release (CLUTCH)". The Type B switch which is activated by the Brake pedal is identified as "Cruise Electrical Release (BRAKE)". This makes sense to me because, of course with a manual transmission, you don't have a torque converter to control. The electrical function of these 2 Type B switches is to shut off the cruise control, whenever you touch your brake or clutch pedal.
Does anyone have a photo of both "switch B" switches installed? Is the connector for the clutch switch wired into the connector on the brake switch?
Old 05-31-2009, 09:19 PM
pletzvet
Pro

I don't have any pics - but I would guess that since the 2 switches do the same thing - connecting them in series would be the way to go. When the switch is used to control the TC lock-up it creates a closed circuit when the brake pedal is not depressed therefore if you have 2 switches in series activating either one will open the circuit.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:57 PM
lfsglass
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pletzvet
I don't have any pics - but I would guess that since the 2 switches do the same thing - connecting them in series would be the way to go. When the switch is used to control the TC lock-up it creates a closed circuit when the brake pedal is not depressed therefore if you have 2 switches in series activating either one will open the circuit.
So is the auto trans TCC (torque converter lock up) on of the plugs on the switch "A" in the first photo?
Old 06-01-2009, 10:48 PM
pletzvet
Pro

No...the plug on switch B is to open the TCC circuit when the brake pedal is depressed for an automatic transmission. I notice that you have a couple of threads happening on relatively the same subject and someone else suggested that you just T the vacuum hose to a 2nd *B* style switch at the clutch pedal in the other thread. This makes sense to me for the most part but... The only thing that I can't be 100% sure of is in the GM Shop Manual for the 1985 model, these 2 *B* style switches are identified as "Cruise Electrical Release (Brake)" and "Cruise Electrical Release (Clutch)" in the Manual Transmission diagram.

As I mentioned earlier, just this past week-end, I patched a switch into this circuit with the objective of being able to manually unlock the TC in my 700R4. I only had a chance to test drive it and found that it indeed does this beautifully, but what I neglected to do was test to see what happens when I open the circuit with the manual switch while in cruise control mode. I'm expecting that it will disengage the cruise control as well, which is fine, because I don't want the cruise control to work if the TC is not locked up.

So, quite possibly these switches are intended to shut off your cruise control via an electrical circuit as well, but I can't be certain.
Old 06-07-2009, 01:30 PM
lfsglass
Burning Brakes

Anyone with a FX6 trans who has looked at the switches in their car.....do you have a plug/wire connected into one or both of these switches (clutch switch & brake switch)? Do you have vacuum lines connected into one or both of these switches as well?

Has anyone done this conversion or know anyone who has swapped these trans already? I did the search already and the related threads are no longer available.
Old 06-07-2009, 04:07 PM
86PACER
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A = Rear brake light switch and cruise electrical cut off
B = TCC and cruise physical vacuum release.

Get notified of new replies

To Please explain hat these switches are......?

Quick Reply: Please explain hat these switches are......?