C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Mobil 1 VS Mobil 1 Extended Mileage

Old 06-03-2009, 09:47 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

Default Mobil 1 VS Mobil 1 Extended Mileage

Wanted to buy 2, 5 quart containers of Mobil 1 but they only had one. So I got a container of Mobil 1 for engines with over 75,000 miles on them. I will use it all regardless (130,000 on mine) however.

Just wondering if anyone knows if the extended mileage oil is of any real benefit or has any data on it, or its just a sales gimmick. Some of the API symbols are different.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:09 PM
MikeC4
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pcolt94
Wanted to buy 2, 5 quart containers of Mobil 1 but they only had one. So I got a container of Mobil 1 for engines with over 75,000 miles on them. I will use it all regardless (130,000 on mine) however.

Just wondering if anyone knows if the extended mileage oil is of any real benefit or has any data on it, or its just a sales gimmick. Some of the API symbols are different.
I am pretty sure that the "extended mileage" Mobil 1 is Dino

Old 06-03-2009, 10:59 PM
pletzvet
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here in Canada, they call it "Mobil 1 High Mileage" and it is a blend of high performance synthetic basestocks fortified with an additive system designed especially for higher mileage vehicles.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:01 PM
theadmiral94
Drifting

Location: 1994 LT1 Coupe 6-speed with FX3 & 2000 LS1 Vert 6-Speed with F45 Hunterdon County, NJ
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Don't use in your vette

Presume you mean Mobil-1 High Mileage 5w30 (as Mobil doesn't make a 'extended mileage', they make a 'high mileage' and 'extended performance').

I wouldn't use it -- note it does not meet GM spec requirements for our engines, which by contrast orginal Mobil-1 5w30 does (i.e. GM 4718M (Corvette spec)

Consider reading about it here:

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...age_5W-30.aspx

Even though the MSD notes: 'synthetic base stock', of particular importance and a good reason to NOT USE, is the following paragraph from the above link:

"Mobil 1 High Mileage is designed especially for engines where conventional oil has been used, and where these conditions have been experienced:

Severe Service
Extended Oil Drains
Poor Maintenance
Multiple Owners

For engines where heavy deposits and sludging exist, we recommend short initial oil change drain intervals of 3,000 miles as cleanup progresses.
"

Last edited by theadmiral94; 06-03-2009 at 11:23 PM. Reason: clarity on which oil is being questionsd
Old 06-04-2009, 03:06 PM
jmrl98
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/..._camwear5.html

Lots of info in that link. What I noticed was that the flat tappet cams according to them will wear faster with certain oils, based on additive (ZDP). The mobil 1 10-30 high mileage is a good flat tappet cam choice of oil. I know you don't have a flat tappet, but you may find some useful info for your application...
Old 06-04-2009, 06:06 PM
rickneworleansla
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not sure where I read it but some high mileage oils has an additive that swells seals or gaskets to extend the life. Not sure if I'd want that on a well maintained vehicle. I bought some of the high mileage Mobile-1 10w-30 and returned it after reading up on it. This is second hand knowledge so maybe someone else can elaborate.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

Last edited by rickneworleansla; 06-05-2009 at 12:24 AM.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:55 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

Good input.
Don’t know much about the early history of the car. Got it in 03 with 70K on it and it sat for 2 years before I bought it from a small sports car dealers shop. I could tell it did not have a lot of TLC when I got things apart fixing several things that did not work. However it ran well and looked clean internally. So don’t know what previous treatment was specifically but that all changed when I got it.

I saw the spec differences in the oil but thought it might be better. But looks like I don’t have those technical problems in depth it was designed for. So I guess I will go with the basic oil based on what I read and information furnished.
Old 06-05-2009, 04:39 PM
JAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by jmrl98
http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/..._camwear5.html

Lots of info in that link. What I noticed was that the flat tappet cams according to them will wear faster with certain oils, based on additive (ZDP). The mobil 1 10-30 high mileage is a good flat tappet cam choice of oil. I know you don't have a flat tappet, but you may find some useful info for your application...
That's an excellent research article. It was initially done to address the rash of flat tappet cam lobe failures where oil is thought to be the root cause - absence of certain additives.

It got me to thinking that since I've started to read a lot of posts about failed oil pump drive gears, I'm wondering if the absence of those additives could be, at least, a contributing factor in those failures too.

Running HV and/or HP oil pumps are probably loading those gears more and the absence of the additives could be causing accelerated wear.

My thinking is that the GM spec for oil was arrived at based on the stock components in the engine. Once some of the components are changed from stock to, say, high performance components, a different oil spec could well be better.

I'm wondering, too, that since the oil cooler was removed from the later engines and since Mobil 1 can better handle higher temps before breaking down, oil temp was at least one consideration when GM began using Mobil 1 from the factory.

So I'm leaning toward running RedLine oil, since the research shown in the article shows it to be the best of both worlds (can handle higher temps AND has the needed additives) or running Mobil 1 with a can of GM E.O.S. (which has the additives in it).

Jake

West Point ROCKS!

Get notified of new replies

To Mobil 1 VS Mobil 1 Extended Mileage

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mobil 1 VS Mobil 1 Extended Mileage