C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

MAF Power Relay location and Part Number

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 02:50 PM
AndrewMessier
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default MAF Power Relay location and Part Number

Hello,

I have a 1996 Corvette LT1. I am receiving error code "P0100 Mass Air Flow (MAF) Circuit Malfunction".

I have cleared the error code and verified that it does come back. I replaced the air filter and cleaned the MAF sensor using the CRC MAF sensor cleaner. I cleared the error code again, and it came back again as soon as I started it.

The next thing to troubleshoot is the Power relay for the MAF sensor. I cannot find this sensor though. I have spent several days scrolling the forums and looking into this. Everything that I can find says that the Bosch MAF power relay and burnout relay are located on the driver's side firewall behind the battery. However, I ahve a 96 which does not use the Bosch system, but the AC Delco. According to sources I've found, I only have a MAF power relay. I have searched for the part on AdvancedAuto, AutoZone, and NAPA and cannot locate even a part number. All of the other part numbers that I have found have been for 86's or 87's before they went to Bosch.

Question:
Does my car have a power relay for the MAF sensor? If it does, where is it located? Behind my battery I do not see anything that resembles the ones from an 86 or 87. Just a fuse box and other larger connectors for the wiring harness. A picture of the location would be great!

If the part number or correct name for this power relay can be given, that would be excellent too.

Thank you so much in advance. I have allready used this forum to troubleshoot another problem on my vette!
Old 06-06-2009, 03:24 PM
TWISTERUP
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don' t think you have a "power relay" on your '96....there is 10 amp "Eng. fuse" in pass. compartment..right side of dash which supplies power to MAF...may be bad MAF/ vacuum leaks can also set this code...be sure the hose between MAF and throttle housing is not split and tight at both ends w/no leaks.
Old 06-06-2009, 03:32 PM
AndrewMessier
Intermediate

Thank you. I will check the hose as you suggested.

That is what I have just about concluded regarding the "power relay;" however, this page disagrees:

http://books.google.com/books?id=O2v...num=1#PPA54,M1

According to it, the AC/Delco MAF "used in the 1994 to 1996 Corvette has a power relay, but no burn-off relay." This is the part that confuses me.
Old 06-06-2009, 03:46 PM
TWISTERUP
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AndrewMessier
Thank you. I will check the hose as you suggested.

That is what I have just about concluded regarding the "power relay;" however, this page disagrees:

http://books.google.com/books?id=O2v...num=1#PPA54,M1

According to it, the AC/Delco MAF "used in the 1994 to 1996 Corvette has a power relay, but no burn-off relay." This is the part that confuses me.
Hmmm... I see what you mean ...however i looked in at the wiring diagram for my '96 and it's not showing a power relay....also looked at a list of relays and locations and don't see a MAF power relay. I'm inclined to think the online article is incorrect.
Old 06-06-2009, 04:01 PM
AndrewMessier
Intermediate

Thank you. I think I agree with you and your manual. I need to order myself a manual. I seen a link to do so in one of the general threads in this forum.

My next step is to just replace the MAF sensor. Thanks again.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:43 PM
AndrewMessier
Intermediate

I just want to give an update.

That Saturday (6th) was when I posted about the MAF originally. The following Monday (8th) the car died on me in the parking lot of work. I went out to leave for the day and it started up and ran for maybe a second and then that was it. I resolved the no-start problem. It took me two afternoons after work [I had to leave it there Monday night! ] to troubleshoot; turned out to be a fuel pump relay for the new no-start problem.

In the process though, I solved the MAF problem. My first reaction Monday was to replace the sensor because I had read on forums that a MAF that is completely dead will cause a no-start (I think that statement is wrong though). Replacing the MAF sensor on Monday did nothing.

After I got the car running on Tuesday the P0100 came back almost immediately when the car started. I called around part stores for atleast an hour and found a MAF Sensor connector. My local NAPA was the only place that even new what I was talking about. One gentleman at an Advanced Auto Parts told me on the phone that no one makes that connector anymore, and that I would have to look in a junk yard for one...

Anyways, replacing the connector fixed the problem.

For some reason, NAPA lists the part as a "Camshaft Sensor Connector" on their online parts search. Here is the link though: http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPage...nsor+Connector

I found the part through navigating the categories, and the man at the desk at Napa found it too; it was listed under a different name in his parts inventory, so I believe this is an error on the website.

Last edited by AndrewMessier; 06-15-2009 at 08:48 PM.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:53 PM
MarkBychowski
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for posting this, Andrew. I'm having a similar problem on mine and ordered a new connector a couple days ago. Just curious, how far up the wiring harness did you go to splice the new connector in?
Old 06-17-2009, 08:41 AM
AndrewMessier
Intermediate

Not very far at all. The connector came with about 6 to 8 inches of wire, so I removed that much from the old connector (minus an inch or two). I didn't remove as much because too much wire is probably better than too little.

Please post if the connector fixed the problem. I am interested if the problem is the connector more often than the sensor.
Old 06-17-2009, 12:01 PM
MarkBychowski
Melting Slicks

Thanks! I had already tried replacing the sensor with no joy so I hope the problem is with the plug rather than hidden somewhere back in the wiring harness
Old 07-01-2009, 01:27 AM
MarkBychowski
Melting Slicks

Well, no joy with replacing the MAF pulg and pigtail. Code still comes up. Looks like I'll have to run bypass wires one at a time until I track down the culprit...
Old 07-02-2009, 08:33 PM
AndrewMessier
Intermediate

Sorry to hear. I think that is going to be pretty difficult considering mine didn't light back up a lot of times until I drove it for about ten minutes.

Get notified of new replies

To MAF Power Relay location and Part Number

Quick Reply: MAF Power Relay location and Part Number