C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1993 not starting

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 07:58 PM
hodshire
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1993 not starting

Hi, can anyone give me a starting point. I started my vette last weekend and let it run for about 20 minutes or so (ran nice), detailed it and covered it for a car show this weekend. Went out to go to the show on Saturday and it would just crank over and not start. I tuned it, changed the coil and opti spark 2 years ago (under 500 miles). I hear the fuel pump and smell fuel, so i am kind of stumped. Any ideas would be helpful. I have had the car for 4 years and no problems but the opti spark. Thanks!
Old 06-28-2009, 08:21 PM
BAMBAM3343
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First test would be does it have fuel pressure and does it have spark.
Old 06-28-2009, 08:46 PM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Engines require spark and spark at the right time, fuel and air and in the correct ratio in order to start and run. Use a timing light while someone cranks to see if you have spark and spark at the right time. My money is on no spark since you smell fuel. Next, use a fuel pressure gauge on the shrader valve on the end of the right fuel rail to see if you have proper (36-42 psi) fuel pressure and see if the pressure holds for a long time with the ignition off. Rapid drop indicates leaky injector/s or a bad check valve at the fuel pressure regulator. Use a noid light (available at parts store) or an LED with a series 680 ohm resistor across an injector socket and see if you have pulsing during cranking showing that the injectors are being pulsed. Polarity of the LED must be correct.
New optispark or any other new parts doesn't mean anything, always suspect everything and prove by measurement that each system is working properly. Guessing and replacing is the dumbest and most expensive way to repair a car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

Get notified of new replies

To 1993 not starting

Quick Reply: 1993 not starting