C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

91 won't crank over

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 10:30 PM
lolascovette
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 91 won't crank over

I have a 91 vette that wont crank over.The dash lights and everthing works just when you go to start it nothing happens. So I took the starter off and it tested bad.So I had the starter rebuilt and back on and still no crank. I had the tumbler replaced 2 months ago,no trouble since. Do you guys think this could be a vats issue? How do you troubleshoot the vats system?
Old 06-29-2009, 11:33 PM
rodj
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by lolascovette
I have a 91 vette that wont crank over.The dash lights and everthing works just when you go to start it nothing happens. So I took the starter off and it tested bad.So I had the starter rebuilt and back on and still no crank. I had the tumbler replaced 2 months ago,no trouble since. Do you guys think this could be a vats issue? How do you troubleshoot the vats system?
VATS most common but could be starter inhibitor switch or starter relay faulty also.
If you have a 2nd key try that first , then you will have to track through the starter circuit components to check for power at each
Old 06-29-2009, 11:42 PM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Unplug the clutch safety switch (gear selector sw at base of shifter if auto) and jump the socket. The jumper should have 12v on it in crank position. You can check the starter by jumping 12v to the jumper. If no crank in ign crank position, then find the two wires from above the steering column that goes to a 2 pin plug and unplug. Insert the key and measure the resistance across the wires from the steering column. It should be within 4% of the key pellet or VATS will not allow a crank. If resistance checks ok, then I would suspect a defective start enable relay. You can temporarily bypass VATS with a fixed resistor the same value as your pellet connected across the socket the 2 pin connector plugs into. You can use 1/4 watt resistor from Radio Shack, but the resistance must be less than 4% from your pellet resistance. I believe on 91's you have to disconnect the resistor between cranks, you cannot just leave it connected all the time. If the resistor allows you to start the engine, then you have a problem with the new ign lock which has the contacts that make connection to the pellet.

Last edited by jfb; 06-29-2009 at 11:44 PM.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:10 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,932 Posts

So we think the starter is good. Fair enough. Is it getting power and a signal to crank when you hit the key? I would put your idiot light on the starter relay wire and make sure.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:17 PM
lolascovette
8th Gear

Thanks for the info guys be tryin this stuff in the morning?
Old 07-03-2009, 01:54 AM
lolascovette
8th Gear

Still no turning over.This is what Ive done so far fuses all good, Think I found the starter relay and swapped it out for another one,I think its the one closest to the column on the left side correct?The starter cranks when I jump it but thats all. As for the safety switch on the shifter when I unplug it and use a test light on the pins there is only one pin that is hot wheather the key is on or in the crank position. Maybe find the vats wires,and which ones would they be?Any ideas?
Old 07-03-2009, 06:33 AM
Bruce Witherspoon
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Still no turning over.This is what Ive done so far fuses all good, Think I found the starter relay and swapped it out for another one,I think its the one closest to the column on the left side correct?The starter cranks when I jump it but thats all. As for the safety switch on the shifter when I unplug it and use a test light on the pins there is only one pin that is hot wheather the key is on or in the crank position. Maybe find the vats wires,and which ones would they be?Any ideas?
I am sure what he wanted you to do is put a jumper accross the neuatral safety switch connector. In that case if the switch is bad the starter should work when you turn the key. There should not be power on both sides of that connector since one side supplies the other through the switch.
Old 07-03-2009, 08:32 AM
aklim
Team Owner

There are 2 wires to the starter, right? One is the battery and the other is to activate the starter. Does that one get power when you try to crank? IF it does, you have a bad starter. IF not, you go backwards and trace it.
Old 07-03-2009, 09:11 AM
Demonic85
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You say you checked the fuses, did you also check the fusible links? There are a few near the starter. Also check the main grounds, there are two coming from the positive battery cable, one goes the driver side of the engine block and the other is a smaller wire attached to the frame behind the battery.
Old 07-03-2009, 11:35 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Just a thought, has the OP checked the power draw to the starter? Maybe jump the starter relay and see if it cranks at all.
Old 07-03-2009, 11:24 PM
ZD1
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

good luck
Old 07-04-2009, 05:34 PM
lolascovette
8th Gear

When I take and short the starter it sounds like it trys to engage but its like theres not enough juice to turn over.I'm not very inclined in this area what do I do now.Please help.
Old 07-04-2009, 07:05 PM
jfb
Team Owner

Read my previous post and follow the suggestions and you will be able to start your car. Also, measure the battery terminal voltage when cranking, battery voltage should not fall below 9.0 volts or the battery is discharged, battery cables need cleaning and replacing, or the battery is at the end of its life. Charge your battery overnight if the no load voltage (use an external voltmeter) is 12.0 volts or lower. You can tell the state of charge, 12.0 volts or lower, discharged, 12.9 volts or higher, fully charged and linear in between.
Old 07-04-2009, 08:11 PM
aklim
Team Owner

When I take and short the starter it sounds like it trys to engage but its like theres not enough juice to turn over.I'm not very inclined in this area what do I do now.Please help.
Take your battery to a battery shop and have them test it for you. When that works out, whichever way it works out, we will know where to go from there.
Old 07-04-2009, 11:28 PM
lolascovette
8th Gear

Battery tested good with meter,also tryed different batt,no difference.
Old 07-05-2009, 08:40 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Time to take the starter out for testing. If it tests good, the problem may lie in the power lines to the starter.
Old 07-05-2009, 05:15 PM
lolascovette
8th Gear

Just had the starter rechecked this morning.Checked good.I put the starter back on and with my meter checked to see what I had when I tryed turning the key over and the batt cable of course is hot but the little wire shows nothing.

Get notified of new replies

To 91 won't crank over

Old 07-05-2009, 11:58 PM
jfb
Team Owner

The small wire on the starter goes to the starter solenoid and it only gets 12v when the ign sw is in crank position IF VATS is working properly. Let me repeat myself, read and perform the tests in my first post, it will tell you why the starter is not cranking your engine.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:16 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Just had the starter rechecked this morning.Checked good.I put the starter back on and with my meter checked to see what I had when I tryed turning the key over and the batt cable of course is hot but the little wire shows nothing.
Should the battery cable be hot?
Old 07-06-2009, 10:00 AM
lolascovette
8th Gear

Ok guys I'm sorry for getting on your last nerve,but I cant seem to find the two pin vats connecter or wires.What color might they be for a 91? Also the only to pin connecter and wires I can find isnt connected to anything,it's a purple and white wire with a black female connecter and when I try to ohm them key in crank position it dosent read anything

Quick Reply: 91 won't crank over