C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Has anyone had there front windshield replaced on there C4?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 10:19 AM
JStoddard2005
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone had there front windshield replaced on there C4?

I have an '88 and the front windshield is broken and needs to be replaced so I called Safe Lite auto glass and the said all the interior and exterior moldings have to be replaced and they cost $1000.00. So have any of you guys had your glass replaced and if so who did it and how much was it and what did they have to replace? Thanks
Old 07-03-2009, 10:24 AM
Kool88vette
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had my windshield replaced on my 88 for nothing. They charged Allstate $695.00. I was told that the rubber mouldings cost more than the windshield. I guess they have to replace the mouldings when they replace the windshield. They replaced my mouldings.

Last edited by Kool88vette; 07-03-2009 at 10:28 AM.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:28 AM
mfi
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Insurance covered mine, windshield, driver glass and mouldings...$2200.00 ouch
Old 07-03-2009, 10:30 AM
JAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I had the windshield on my 86 changed in my driveway by a company that removed re-used the moulding. I couldn't tell it had ever been removed.

With AllState/Lloyds insurance, it was no cost to me; all I had to do was to sign my name indicating that the windshield had been replaced t my satisfaction.

I was initially told I'd need new moulding, too. In my case, I believe those companies claiming the moulding has to be replaced say so to jack-up their profit.

Jake

West Point ROCKS!
Old 07-03-2009, 10:58 AM
RLG
Burning Brakes

I work for Safelite and I called the office to get a price. It was around $300.00 with the molding.

The added expense would be the weather strip on the top and down the A pillar if they couldn't sane it.

The other expense would be the difference between aftermarket glass and OEM. I priced aftermarket.
Old 07-03-2009, 11:00 AM
combustables
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Amazing ... I guess it;s possible to take the price of anything to the moon if need be. I ll bet I can make it cost 3000 dollars if I call a GM dealer going out of business.

I had mine done 3 years ago for $275.00 dollars installed IN MY DRIVEWAY. Whoever replaces it MUST be able to reuse the rubber. If they say they have to replace the rubber, replace them with someone who knows their business instead of someone who is hustling.

Good luck.
Old 07-03-2009, 11:03 AM
ddahlgren
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

I had mide done new GM weatherstrip and no doubt not oem glass though crystal clear and it is not a race car.. If it cracks or fails it is ins co problem not mine.. went to their recommended shop.. no idea what it cost though just signed for it.. never changed any interior moulding though. I would imagine if the weather strip retaining parts are bad they would have to change them..
Old 07-03-2009, 11:42 AM
Muffin
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I had mine changed as a part of a paint job. The glass guys came to the shop to do the deed. Cost $285.
Old 07-03-2009, 01:59 PM
powerpigz-51
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine was replaced last year. I heard many nightmares of c4 windshield replacement using the search function on this forum. Some say only use the very expensive GM weatherstrip, I went with Willcox for 150 bucks and had no problems. Call around and make sure that they have done C4's in the past. I called the local GM dealer and asked who did their Corvettes and got a quote for 275.00 for non OEM glass and installation. They reused the old metal moldings even though they had been glued in during a previous install....took him 4 extra hours to clean the glue and he didn't charge me extra. These are not glued in if it is original. 425 bucks total and no issues.
Old 07-03-2009, 03:35 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

drove my 90 down to florida last month, and wouldn't you know it. - "bam!!!" - a stone chip smack dab in front of my face. i thought they could do a chip repair, but the windshield tech indicated it would need a replacement because of the location of the chip. anyway, my weatherstripping was in good condition, so only the glass was replaced. job was perfect! cost me nothing - zero deductable on the comp. i would like to have salvaged my original windshield, but it's a DD, and not a museum piece. i think akron auto glass billed state farm a little over 3-bills.

Last edited by Joe C; 07-03-2009 at 03:37 PM.
Old 07-03-2009, 03:39 PM
RLG
Burning Brakes

if the chip is close t the edge then it is difficult to repair, anywhere else shouild be no problem
Old 07-03-2009, 11:19 PM
Former Ford Boy
Advanced

Had it changed - twice over five visits by SafeLite. It was a wretched experience. The windshield molding had to be replaced and they used cheap aftermarket rubber. The door windows wouldn't close properly after that, necessitating a second visit (which still didn't fully repair the problem). Then the new windshield cracked - followed by visit three. Terrible air leaks still plagued the installed and a different guy showed up to fix the problem. He couldn't and had to order what he claimed to be GM sourced rubber. He came back and installed that and almost fixed the sealing problem by shimming the A-pillar track with paper. Barely three years later the weatherstripping has failed and I will have to replace it. It is highly unlikely that they will ever touch my vette again.

Am I bitter? Yeah. Especially since it will cost me more money to fix what they failed to do properly. They didn't have the properly facilities or equipment to fix my car, but were more than willing to take my money for a half-baked job.

Phillip
Old 07-04-2009, 02:23 AM
chrisr0315
Instructor

I guess I was lucky, jus did my 85 , the w/strip was in good shape( original) , and driveway replacemnt cost 165.00 (less than my deductable) . email me and i can send pics chrisr0315@msn.com
Old 07-04-2009, 06:56 AM
samsonb
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Does the weatherstripping really need to be pulled?
Old 07-04-2009, 09:23 AM
mfi
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

As far as weatherstripping is concerned there is a huge difference in OEM and some aftermarket ones...some are good, others are crap. Same goes for the glass, OEM is guaranteed to fit. Yes its a lot more but its just not worth the trouble of fixing inferior product. I used aftermarket stripping on my vert and guess what, it doesn't fit as well and I get a leak where the 2 halves meet in the middle of the widow. Just compare the construction of OEM and most after market and you'll see. Not to say all after market is bad, this is just my experience.
Old 07-04-2009, 09:29 AM
ant-knee470
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a open work order right now with safe lite glass for $300.00, Scheduled in a couple weeks.. They are coming to my house & gonna do it in my driveway... I cant see the 88 being any different from my 84
Old 07-04-2009, 02:01 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I have paid for (no comp insurance) two different windshields in the last 5 - 7 years. Different events, not one to fix a bad repair. Two different companies. In both cases I was told saving the rubber molding was a hit or miss proposition. They were able to save it in both cases. I think one replacement was $188.00 and the other $165.00. You can pay as much as you want for a C4 windshield. Sometimes you might even get better glass or a better installation, but I wouldn't bet on it. Don't forget the "Corvette tax" and the unscrupulous vendors that will take advantage where they think they can. The windshield business has to be one of the worst. Where else do sellers openly advertise that they will defraud your insurance company?

RACE ON!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Has anyone had there front windshield replaced on there C4?

Old 07-04-2009, 02:06 PM
RLG
Burning Brakes

Ant, Thanks for the business, you windshield will be installed by a certified tech and will come with a lifetime warranty.

Phillip,

I am sorry to hear that your experience with Safelite wasn't good. I am curious how long ago the work was done? Our company is very customer oriented and access to upper management is easy. You could probably call the home office and talk to Tom Feeney the CEO.

we are by no means perfect, But we have very high standards for our employees. Because of our in depth background checks 85 %(guess) of the people in this business can't work for us. If at any time you have an issue with us please contact the branch.

As most of us know C4's are not always fun to work on and sometimes difficult, glass replacement is no different.

Thanks

Bob Goble
Area sales manager
Safelite Auto glass (Belron U.S.)

1-918-808-1836
Old 07-04-2009, 06:55 PM
samsonb
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It sure would be nice if someone could found out who makes the GM weatherstripping. Then, maybe we could order direct and skip the GM upcharge.

I would like to get all OEM parts for my vehicles, but the dealer/GM or whoever likes to upcharge, so I only get parts there that I have to get there, or if the price is comparable.

But for the most part, the dealer is 200-300% more. I had them price a radiator and it was over $300, I told them I could get the same exact radiator they are selling for $150.

I did stop by to see about getting some new screws for my Windlace. As some of them had all rusted and they were a certain size that I couldn't find. The dealer wanted $5 for one small screw. Haha.
Old 07-04-2009, 11:19 PM
bganoe5100
Cruising

I Have an 89 vert and craked the window when replacing the heating core, just a dum move on my part, and it ended costing me about 300.00 and I did have to replace the weather stripping as the original was just too far gone to save.

Quick Reply: Has anyone had there front windshield replaced on there C4?