C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Need help with piston selection

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2002, 10:03 PM
No Ordinary 91
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Default Need help with piston selection

Well we might be rebuilding Lilred's engine here soon, and I remember when I had my 84 Camaro, I was able to pick up sealed power pistons for a really reasonable price. They were forged hyperuetectic (sp?) and was wondering what you guys thought would be good for a relatively stock rebuild. I am not sure what the silicon content was and how much that really matters, I know that it helps with cylinderwall wear and such. What are your thought on what pistons to use?
Old 02-13-2002, 10:20 PM
VtVette
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Re: Need help with piston selection (No Ordinary 91)

I went with the Hypereutectic pistons when I rebuilt my '85 last year. Great silicone content, and great price. HyerU's are a great compromise between cast (lower quality) and Forged (big $$$ and generally not necessary on a normally asperated engine). Forged are also prone to skirt slap, so that's another minus on their side.

Just my take on it,

Old 02-13-2002, 11:35 PM
No Ordinary 91
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Default Re: Need help with piston selection (VtVette)

What kind of numbers can they hold up to, I don't think there are plans to go much over 300, but the possibility of NOS has been brought up before can they hold up to that kind of usage?
Old 02-14-2002, 11:18 AM
Fastguy
Team Owner

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'05

Default Re: Need help with piston selection (No Ordinary 91)

I'm using Speed Pro hypers in my 383 right now. They allow for tighter clearances than a forged piston. Since you guys are in CO and drive in cold weather, you may, depending on the brand, get a little piston slap with forged pistons on start up, especially a heavy piston like a TRW forged. If you aren't really going to spray it, I would just go with a hyper. With the air you guys have, I would be scared to run N20 for fear of melting something.:)

Get notified of new replies

To Need help with piston selection

Quick Reply: Need help with piston selection