C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Convertible rear window.

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 04:52 PM
Jason Marden
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convertible rear window.

HI all. My rear window is coming unglued. I have no space in the garage (67 Camaro is there) and just bought a cover. Does anyone know what adhesive will work to glue it back?
Old 07-16-2009, 07:59 PM
pacat
Instructor

Default WikiAnswers

WikiAnswers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I had the same problem with my glass window. Here's what I found on
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you...ble_fabric_top

Hope this helps.

How do you glue a glass rear window to a convertible fabric top?
In: Cars and Vehicles [Edit categories] [Edit]

[Edit]
Ok Here is the deal, after making 100's of calls and asking service centers and "professional convertivle repair shops" no one seems to have the answer (or pro's don't want to tell) I tried several adhesives without any luck, and finally something worked 100% and cures in less than five minutes, best of all is inexpensive and it's available at wally world or any hooby or arts and crafts store..........................what is it? !!A HOT GLUE GUN!!.... it bonds glass to canvas, cloth or whatever you want to call the convertible top material like crazy, clean up you may ask? just use a hot air gun and it cleans in an instant I fixed my 1998 corvette soft top for under 20 bucks, I hope this works for you as it worked for me!..........................Joel AKA..MEXSAT

ANSWER

Have a '03 Corvette Convertible and did the following:
1.Clean surface, unlock the top and place a 2" spacer to relieve stress on window interface.
2.Apply thin coat of 3M Glass Primer [08682 or 08681] to the glass area to be glued -10 min dry time.
3.Apply 3/16" bead of 3M Windo-Weld adhesive 10.5 oz tube [08609] over primer - Press the surface of the top around the window to provide a good contact and extrude excess adhesive.
4.Prop up the window from inside the car to provide good contact between the glass and top - this is important. I also placed some duct tape in a few locations at the window top interface to assist in holding the top to glass. Cover top to protect from rain - leave top unlocked with spacer.
5. I let it cure for 3 days because of my outdoor weather conditions, but the curing conditions [Temp/RH] can be found on the 3M Web Site.
6. Carefully clean excess adhesive with razor blade.
7. Cost about $25. Materials can be ordered online or at a body shop supplies retailer.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:26 PM
Jason Marden
7th Gear

Default rear window

Thanks. I actually found that a while ago. I haven't tried it yet. I did use vinyl shower pan glue and it held for about a day. I'm leery of the hot glue gun because there appears to be a latex type flange attached to the canvas and the plastic window is bonded to that. I plan on doing the 3M glass process this weekend and I'll post the results.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:05 PM
Cincy C4
2nd Gear

I used the 3M Window Weld also holds great but is very messy. I'm going on 3 months no problems.
Old 07-18-2009, 12:58 PM
Jason Marden
7th Gear

Thanks Cincy,
I'll give that a try.

Get notified of new replies

To Convertible rear window.

Quick Reply: Convertible rear window.