C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Where does a tranny cooler fit??

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2002, 04:34 PM
GlockLT4
Team Owner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Where does a tranny cooler fit??

I need to put a better cooler in for this rebuilt tranny with higher stall and shift kit. Where is something like a B&M 24,000 GVW, 11 in. x 6 in. x 1 1/2 in. transmission cooler going to fit???

And should it replace the stock cooler, or should it be added in line with the cooler?

Thanks guys... :seeya
Old 02-15-2002, 04:46 PM
88_vette
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Where does a tranny cooler fit?? (Glock'94)

My setup is a bit differen, and I also removed the AC condensor. Then took "L" shaped Alum. and made a bracket to mount the cooler behind the front cooling fan option on my year vette. You to can mount yours in front of the rad. Also some guys mount them in place of the spare tire. I've seen a # of ways to pipe air to a cooler located in the spare tire area. If you mount it in the spare tire area then do away with the rad cooler, and maybe up the size some on the cooler.
Old 02-15-2002, 05:16 PM
jpee
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: Where does a tranny cooler fit?? (88_vette)

I'm not to familiar with 88s but I'm sure Ralph will chime in , he is up on them, however Mackey had put a big cooler in the rear where his spare went, the cooler also had a fan, & it did NOT cool his tranny he had the temp go as high as 260... just no air flow in that area..

Now both Mackey, myself, & Ralph all have ours mounted to the radiator or up front.. I used to have mine mounted to the front of the power steering cooler, but caught a brick on the Tappan zee Bridge, I then got a Carquest rated for 26,000 & mounted it to the air conditioner condenser just behind the radiator... its PERFECT, my trans temp has never gone over 190 & I'm running a 2800 stall 9" Vig converter...

If you have AC & the condenser is still there try to mount it there, ..Oh I also hooked it to run WITH my stock cooler...I use em both, & my trans is normally 160 deg... 190 when I'm having fun :)

Old 02-15-2002, 05:25 PM
88_vette
Drifting

Default Re: Where does a tranny cooler fit?? (Red96Coupe)

Red96coupe,

Glad you said something about the spare tire area. I've seen a number of ways it can be done, but always wondered about the cooling. I like mine up front. I never reach 150 degrees with mine. But I have lots more air flow, and less heat with that condenser removed.
Old 02-15-2002, 05:30 PM
olephart
Burning Brakes

The B&M is a very good choice - made by True Cool - it's one of the best. I don't recall the size, But I have Summit part # 70264 and it is the correct size. It stays under 190 on hot summer days.

GM says to run through radiator. Most "experts" say to bypass radiator- thats what I did. Running through the radiator will help heat the fluid on cold days and may be a good idea in really cold climates.

I mounted it by the P/S cooler and it did not get enough airflow. Moved it in front of the condenser and it works great. There are some bolts in the air dam mount that are spaced correctly to mount it without drilling.

Basically, you just cut the mounting strap so that it has 2 holes in it and bend it to the correct angle between the holes. I think something around 70 degrees is about right. Just match the angle of the condensor.

Old 02-15-2002, 05:50 PM
jpee
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: Where does a tranny cooler fit?? (88_vette)

Red96coupe,

I never reach 150 degrees with mine. But I have lots more air flow, and less heat with that condenser removed.
WOW....150 ? Do you have a high stall converter, or is your converter stock.. I know when I had my stock converter I ran 150 - 170 deg, but with the 2800, it tends to run hotter..

The WORST condition is in hot weather 80-90 deg, & going up hills at 30 mph, not fast enough to have the converter lock up, & not fast enough to get GOOD air flow.. Thats when I see 190 even with my big cooler..

At the track its no problem 130 tops because I have cool down time between runs..

PS If any Moderator reads this post (MOJO WHERE ARE YOU?) please "note" my post count getting close to 3000 :) & my stars should change colors :D

Stay on top of it.... :yesnod:

[Modified by Red96Coupe, 4:52 PM 2/15/2002]
Old 02-15-2002, 06:25 PM
88_vette
Drifting

Default Re: Where does a tranny cooler fit?? (Red96Coupe)

Yeah I have the stock converter in now, but I never use lock up. I'm never going fast enough to put it in 4th, and I have a lockup bypass while in 3rd. meaning it does not in 3rd. I plan on putting my 2600 stall back in this weekend. I'm sure the temp will go up.
Old 02-15-2002, 08:28 PM
NoWorries
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.corvetteforum.net/c5/noworries/cooling.shtml

It fits very nicely between the radiator and condensor, if you install it, heed this warning, put the fittings on first! Its a pain if you do it like I did.

As for routing, they recommend running it through the stock cooler FIRST, then into the new cooler, something about prewarming the fluid or something...I dunno, doesn't really make sense to me, but thats what they say. All three of my hot fluids run between 170-190 degrees, there is definitely a connection between tranny, coolant, and oil.

Good luck.
Old 02-15-2002, 10:05 PM
FSTRNU
Drifting

Let me know where you mount yours. I am going to have to do the same.
Old 02-16-2002, 01:28 AM
GlockLT4
Team Owner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Where does a tranny cooler fit?? (93Zeus)

Let me know where you mount yours. I am going to have to do the same.
ok, no prob. As you can probably guess, I'll post a picture of it installed ;).
Old 02-16-2002, 04:03 PM
Mo_Bandy
Melting Slicks

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

When I added my supercharger, I went ahead and mounted my in front of the condenser . On the LT 1 the in side of the radiator cooler portion is on the bottom. I routed the house out the top and through the opening of the radiator brace on the passenger side following the contour of the condenser line both in and out, reconnecting to the return line back to the transmission. I only picked up a smaller cooler as I didnt want the fluid too cool. I'm averaging about 170 degrees with the engine temp at 200 ( retweeked with LT-1 Edit).

Depending on the size of cooler ther manufacturer will suggest whether or not you need to add the stock cooler iline. I was able to mount mine using the "plumber's tape" type brakets that were with the cooler and the holes lined up perfectly with the screw holes of the front air dam.

Oh , I thought the same thing .. worried about room? there is a ton of room in front of the condenser...

Hope my 46 Mo dollars helps :)

Mo

"Cat herding is not for sissy's"

[Modified by Mo_Bandy, 2:05 PM 2/16/2002]

Get notified of new replies

To Where does a tranny cooler fit??

Quick Reply: Where does a tranny cooler fit??