Go Back   Corvette Forum > C4 Corvettes, 1984 - 1996 > C4 Tech/Performance
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C4 Tech/Performance
L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine Sponsored by
J&D Corvette

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!


Corvette Store
 
 
C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads
 
 
Vendor Directory
  
Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-21-2009, 02:17 PM   #1
mgomez1
Junior Member
 
Member Since: Aug 2008
Default Problems with Speed sensor

I recently had some exhaust work done and "somehow" they managed to snap off my vehicle speed sensor. The part number is 10456091. However I can not find a replacement from GM or aftermarket. I place orders and always get a phone call "out of stock, that part is no longer available. The only sensor I have been able to find is the 10456089. I've done countless searches through the forums. Made numerous phone calls and reading on the subject and its pretty confusing. I have a 1991 corvette with a 2.59 rear end. Any help would be appreciated.
mgomez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 03:00 PM   #2
toptechx6
CF Senior Member
 
toptechx6's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2006
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgomez1 View Post
I recently had some exhaust work done and "somehow" they managed to snap off my vehicle speed sensor. The part number is 10456091. However I can not find a replacement from GM or aftermarket. I place orders and always get a phone call "out of stock, that part is no longer available. The only sensor I have been able to find is the 10456089. I've done countless searches through the forums. Made numerous phone calls and reading on the subject and its pretty confusing. I have a 1991 corvette with a 2.59 rear end. Any help would be appreciated.

See the link, scroll down to item 55X

http://www.transmissioncenter.net/sp...n_______va.htm
toptechx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 08:09 PM   #3
mgomez1
Junior Member
 
Member Since: Aug 2008
Default

Well I looked at it and it is almost identical looking to the 10456089. I installed the sensor in the car just to see what would happen. I drove about 5 miles and much of the time the speedometer read 0. However, sometimes it would read almost spot on with what the gps was saying my speed was. Then, it would get erratic and drop to zero. Could I possibily have gear damage? The driven gear looks fine, but I can't see the drive gear very well. It feels ok but I'm not sure. Could it be that the VSS is defective? I looked for wire and wire harness problems and they check out fine.
mgomez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 08:24 PM   #4
MotorCity_87_C4
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Aug 2007
Location: Livonia Michigan
Default

Possible digital dash problem? My speedo started displaying random numbers on wednesday then gave up and went to displaying 0 all the time. My Odo is also not registering mileage. I shouldnt have taken that bumpy road on wednesday. It all started on that road. I pulled my digital dash today and started touching up the solder connections. I measured the resistance between D11 & C15 per the FSM test and it measured 586 ohms.
MotorCity_87_C4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 10:11 PM   #5
mgomez1
Junior Member
 
Member Since: Aug 2008
Default

This all started when I found the broken VSS and pool of transmission fluid under my car. That being said I doubt I'm having dash problems. I'd just like to know if I got the correct VSS and if so if its working. If that checks out I may have to work my way into the dash
mgomez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 07:23 AM   #6
toptechx6
CF Senior Member
 
toptechx6's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2006
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgomez1 View Post
Well I looked at it and it is almost identical looking to the 10456089. I installed the sensor in the car just to see what would happen. I drove about 5 miles and much of the time the speedometer read 0. However, sometimes it would read almost spot on with what the gps was saying my speed was. Then, it would get erratic and drop to zero. Could I possibily have gear damage? The driven gear looks fine, but I can't see the drive gear very well. It feels ok but I'm not sure. Could it be that the VSS is defective? I looked for wire and wire harness problems and they check out fine.
All the speed sensors look identical, if you are using the 10456089 it is not the correct one for your application.
toptechx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 09:53 AM   #7
WVZR-1
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Sep 2003
Location: Charles Town WV
Default

The 10456089 is certainly not correct for your car.

The speedometer gear charts in the early thru '93 catalaogs were also a "mess of sorts"! I would start with checking the RPO for the speed sensor! You should have 3 digit RPO code that is D8x x=something A thru ? From there it might be easier to head you in a "direction"!

It would be interesting to see what your speed sensor code is on the RPO label!
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 04:58 PM   #8
mgomez1
Junior Member
 
Member Since: Aug 2008
Default

Its d8k the stock sensor is not available anymore. So thats why I went with the one I have. Anyone know the aftermarket model....thats available?
mgomez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 09:17 PM   #9
WVZR-1
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Sep 2003
Location: Charles Town WV
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgomez1 View Post
Its d8k the stock sensor is not available anymore. So thats why I went with the one I have. Anyone know the aftermarket model....thats available?
Go here:
http://www.tomco-inc.com/Catalog/veh...%20sensors.pdf

Then search their site for the 31054: http://www.tomco-inc.com/

The drop downs by make/model etc doesn't seem to work. I have had luck in the past but will you? Maybe! Likely not but it's a start!

Last edited by WVZR-1; 08-23-2009 at 09:27 PM.
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 09:40 PM   #10
mgomez1
Junior Member
 
Member Since: Aug 2008
Default

Placed order...lets see how it goes lol.
mgomez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 11:50 AM   #11
mgomez1
Junior Member
 
Member Since: Aug 2008
Default

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for all the help and input. I ordered the correct sensor and it worked like a charm. THe whole situation was really making me pull my hair out. I guess the part is an oddball because they sent me an email saying that they had to "hunt" to find it....lucky me I guess.
mgomez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 06:59 PM   #12
1BAD88
CF Member
 
1BAD88's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2003
Location: Nowthen MN
Default

You're lucky. I ordered my replacement from Tomco and they emailed me the next day telling me I was S.O.L.
1BAD88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 02:19 PM   #13
mgomez1
Junior Member
 
Member Since: Aug 2008
Default

I'm sorry to hear that. For some reasons these things are difficult to come by and I'm really not sure why.
mgomez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 02:19 PM
 
Go Back   Corvette Forum > C4 Corvettes, 1984 - 1996 > C4 Tech/Performance
Reload this Page Problems with Speed sensor
 
 
 
Reply

Tags
10456091, 1991, 2002, 84, 91, c4, corvette, gear, gm, location, problem, problems, sensor, speed, speedometer


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Click for Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:35 AM.


Emails & Password Backup