C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Parts for cam swap.........

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 02:18 PM
Weav's Vet
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Parts for cam swap.........

What have I forgotten? Just doing the cam, no heads for now.

This is what I have so far.

226/230 .565/.565 111 lsa
Patriot Extreme valve spring kit
Double roller timing chain
GMPP lifter kit
Comp Cams Pro Magnum 1.6 RR
7/16 rocker studs
Tpis hardened guide plates
Comp cams 7100 hardened push rods
Mezerie EWP & wiring harness
Hardened oil pump shaft & white spring
Pan Gasket
Valve cover gaskets
Intake gasket
Timing cover gasket
Timing cover seal
Assembly lube
Comp cams cam break in oil additive
Antifreeze
Motor oil & filter

Still need to buy

Opti
Damper
LT4 knock module
Send PCM back off for adjustment

Plug wires, serpentine belt, water hoses are fairly new so I'm not replacing them.

Last edited by Weav's Vet; 09-13-2009 at 09:39 AM.
Old 09-12-2009, 05:59 PM
JAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

How'd you come up with 7.100 pushrod length?

A double roller timing chain set has caused several guys clearance problems. Some have had to move to an electric water pump and eliminate the Crank Position on the 96.

Jake

West Point ROCKS! Nation's TOP COLLEGE per Forbes Magazine!

Last edited by JAKE; 09-12-2009 at 06:01 PM.
Old 09-12-2009, 06:26 PM
Weav's Vet
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JAKE
How'd you come up with 7.100 pushrod length?

A double roller timing chain set has caused several guys clearance problems. Some have had to move to an electric water pump and eliminate the Crank Position on the 96.

Jake

West Point ROCKS! Nation's TOP COLLEGE per Forbes Magazine!
The 7.1 is what Lloyd E recommends if not checking it.

The EWP is listed. I'm going to try it and if I have to use a single roller I guess I will.
Old 09-19-2009, 07:22 AM
Weav's Vet
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Alrighty then......starting this process today.

I'm open to advice/suggestions etc from all of you that have done this with the engine still in the car. I have read and read and read about this procedure but I'm sure there are a few little things left out somewhere.
Old 09-19-2009, 11:32 AM
Weav's Vet
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

After 2 1/2 hours this is were I'm at. I have to go to a wedding.

Maybe a little more later today.

Last edited by Weav's Vet; 12-22-2013 at 01:22 PM.
Old 09-19-2009, 12:28 PM
lt1396corvette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just wondering.What brand cam?
Old 09-19-2009, 12:50 PM
STL94LT1
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Weav's Vet

Looks like you are making good progress!!
Old 09-19-2009, 01:56 PM
ndanl
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Weav's Vet

Old 09-19-2009, 02:37 PM
Weav's Vet
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by lt1396corvette
Just wondering.What brand cam?
The cam is from Lloyd Elliot. He uses Bullet cams.

Originally Posted by STL94LT1
Looks like you are making good progress!!
Thanks, I'm trying to. This is all new territoroy for me so it's slow. I'm in no hurry anyway.

Originally Posted by ndanl
Well I did and I'm back at it. It was a JOTP ceremony. Quick!
Old 09-19-2009, 05:41 PM
Weav's Vet
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Got along pretty good this afternoon until...............the crank hub. Damper came right off. That Basti is stuck on there good. I left the puller on it with all the tension I could give it with a two ft piece of pipe and sprayed it down so maybe it will pop tonight. Two years ago I had my mechanic real seal all the front. I guess he skipped the crank seal. Cockroach.......
Old 09-19-2009, 05:45 PM
Weav's Vet
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Another pic

Last edited by Weav's Vet; 12-22-2013 at 01:22 PM.
Old 09-19-2009, 06:10 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,739 Likes on 1,047 Posts

Just my opinion but I'd de-gunk that engine vs risking all the garbage ending up where it doesn't belong.

Good progress
Old 09-19-2009, 06:12 PM
Weav's Vet
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 96GS#007
Just my opinion but I'd de-gunk that engine vs risking all the garbage ending up where it doesn't belong.

Good progress
It is nasty isn't it. I had planned on doing that or break out the pressure washer. No opti to worry with so blast away.
Old 09-19-2009, 06:37 PM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 477 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Just my .02 but I would go for degunking and then a gentle wash down. Sometimes a power wash where dirt and grit go flying all over the place can have unintended consequences.
Old 09-20-2009, 02:11 AM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 180 Posts

when you pull the cam, please give it a quick inspection for lobe failure and wear; on my high mileage 96 lt4 cam the last three lobes were failing; actually had deep groves in the lobes, and the next three showed definite evidence of wear; other than that the cam was fine. All this on an engine that ran great. Go figure. Of course the metal from the cam shot through the lower end, necessitating new rod and main bearings, but this is something I would have replaced anyway based on mileage alone.

I would suggest replacing the lifter hold down spider; it's cheap, and should it fail.....well a lot of hard work would go to waste.

On the bottom of your intake manifold is a removeable heat shield which just collects all kinds of crap waiting to break loose and infect a new clean engine; when you have the heat shield removed there are four large plugs on the bottom of the manifold; remove, reseal and tighten them; a leak here would cause a vacumn leak nearly impossible to diagnosis or find.

Whenever the intake manifold is off, pull the oil pump drive stub shaft assembly. the housing is some kind of high tech polymer (i.e. plastic), inspect it carefully for cracks; also check the oil pump drive gear on it's lower end for wear.

Your new opti will use vent hoses, these are most likely in need of replacing; there is also a small check valve and a filter in the line that runs from the opti up to the intake manifold, small items, but important protection for a very expensive distributor.

most vacumn lines are going to be age and heat hardened or oil soaked and soft; especially check the vacumn lines in the vicinity of the battery going to the cruise control servo.

Gasket sets, complete pan and intake manifold sets.

Above all, be patient. Too bad they don't sell that at the parts store.

Good luck
Old 09-20-2009, 02:34 AM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 180 Posts

please learn from my mistake...pulling the hub IS NOT HARD BUT THE TECHNIQUE IS DIFFERENT !!!

you can use a conventional puller, you do not need GM's special tool but you must use it differently.

The hub sets on the crank snout like a cap; if you use a puller in a conventional manner the lower end of the puller is actually seating against the hub itself, not the crank snout. and all you'll accomplish, if you're lucky, is nothing at all, or if you're really determined, you'll bend the ears on the hub ruin it.

Get a collection of 7/16th o.d. cap screws with FINE threads, screw a short one into the front of the crank snout but DO NOT tighten it down, now set up your puller and push (pull) against the head of the cap screw. The hub will move until it contacts the underside of the head of the cap screw. Remove that cap screw and thread in a slightly longer cap screw; set up your puller and repeat. Do this three or four times and the hub will be free. It actually takes very little torque on the puller to remove the hub.
Old 09-20-2009, 04:02 AM
Weav's Vet
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by mtwoolford
when you pull the cam, please give it a quick inspection for lobe failure and wear; on my high mileage 96 lt4 cam the last three lobes were failing; actually had deep groves in the lobes, and the next three showed definite evidence of wear; other than that the cam was fine. All this on an engine that ran great. Go figure. Of course the metal from the cam shot through the lower end, necessitating new rod and main bearings, but this is something I would have replaced anyway based on mileage alone.

I would suggest replacing the lifter hold down spider; it's cheap, and should it fail.....well a lot of hard work would go to waste.

On the bottom of your intake manifold is a removeable heat shield which just collects all kinds of crap waiting to break loose and infect a new clean engine; when you have the heat shield removed there are four large plugs on the bottom of the manifold; remove, reseal and tighten them; a leak here would cause a vacumn leak nearly impossible to diagnosis or find.

Whenever the intake manifold is off, pull the oil pump drive stub shaft assembly. the housing is some kind of high tech polymer (i.e. plastic), inspect it carefully for cracks; also check the oil pump drive gear on it's lower end for wear.

Your new opti will use vent hoses, these are most likely in need of replacing; there is also a small check valve and a filter in the line that runs from the opti up to the intake manifold, small items, but important protection for a very expensive distributor.

most vacumn lines are going to be age and heat hardened or oil soaked and soft; especially check the vacumn lines in the vicinity of the battery going to the cruise control servo.

Gasket sets, complete pan and intake manifold sets.

Above all, be patient. Too bad they don't sell that at the parts store.

Good luck
Originally Posted by mtwoolford
please learn from my mistake...pulling the hub IS NOT HARD BUT THE TECHNIQUE IS DIFFERENT !!!

you can use a conventional puller, you do not need GM's special tool but you must use it differently.

The hub sets on the crank snout like a cap; if you use a puller in a conventional manner the lower end of the puller is actually seating against the hub itself, not the crank snout. and all you'll accomplish, if you're lucky, is nothing at all, or if you're really determined, you'll bend the ears on the hub ruin it.

Get a collection of 7/16th o.d. cap screws with FINE threads, screw a short one into the front of the crank snout but DO NOT tighten it down, now set up your puller and push (pull) against the head of the cap screw. The hub will move until it contacts the underside of the head of the cap screw. Remove that cap screw and thread in a slightly longer cap screw; set up your puller and repeat. Do this three or four times and the hub will be free. It actually takes very little torque on the puller to remove the hub.
Thanks so much! All this helped me a ton. Yesterday when I stopped I decided to read up on the hub removal. Sure enough I found a post by forum member Neat describing the exact same procedure you just did so to remove it so I'm off to Lowe's first thing today to get some different length bolts. Thank God for this forum! I would have probably bent the crap out of the hub doing it the way I am. I wondered about the oil pump drive gear. I'm replacing the shaft and spring but hadn't read to much about the gear itself. I'll give it a good look and replace if need be. The lifters I bought are GMPP and come with a new spider. Yes, I plan on getting vacuum line in bulk, LOL and you're correct, all the ones around the battery are really soft. I keep waiting on something I wasn't expecting to crop up! I hope it's not a cam lobe issue like you described. What are your thoughts on replacing the damper? The OE looks to be in excellent shape. Sure would be nice to save that 300.00 or so for something else if I can and reuse it but then again I'm there so I'll probably replace it. So far this hasn't been to bad. Hopefully I can finish getting the hub off and start on the intake and get it off today. Then do a little cleaning and I'll feel pretty good about my progress this weekend. Thanks again!

Get notified of new replies

To Parts for cam swap.........

Old 09-20-2009, 02:54 PM
rickneworleansla
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This brings back memories. Check out my cam swap thread here. It should be very similar. I have pictures and tips on the hub removal and pushrod length check. I would measure the pushrods to be sure. I had to use Trickflow Chromemoly Pushrods 7.150" (21407150).

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...lp-needed.html

Last edited by rickneworleansla; 09-20-2009 at 02:58 PM.
Old 09-20-2009, 04:39 PM
Weav's Vet
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by rickreeves1
This brings back memories. Check out my cam swap thread here. It should be very similar. I have pictures and tips on the hub removal and pushrod length check. I would measure the pushrods to be sure. I had to use Trickflow Chromemoly Pushrods 7.150" (21407150).

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...lp-needed.html

I bet it does bring back a few. I have thought about you several times and wondered how in the world you did this in the dead of winter.

I have looked at that link many times. Thanks for all the pictures and info.

Did you ever get any heads? If so what kind? If not maybe what kind?

Last edited by Weav's Vet; 09-20-2009 at 04:47 PM.
Old 09-20-2009, 04:46 PM
Weav's Vet
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Day 2

Making progress.......thanks to CF members Neat and mtwoolford the hub was a piece of cake.

I have to get a smaller gear puller for the crank sprocket. Mine is two large. All in all I think it's going well. A few stumbles but nothing major. I'm really impressed on how clean this engine is inside. I knew I had taken care of it for the almost two years I've had it but wasn't sure about the rest of it's life.

Here's today photos

http://s274.photobucket.com/albums/j...wap%20Day%202/

Quick Reply: Parts for cam swap.........