C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Proven difference... SLP vs. K&N open lid?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2002, 10:58 PM
BowTieBlood
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Proven difference... SLP vs. K&N open lid?

I've heard so many comments back and forth about what's what intake wise. I've heard that the SLP is better for more modified engines, but I've also heard that the open lid mod does the exact same thing in the long run but you save $135 or whatever it is, and even more if you open your lid yourself. The SLP looks meaner and of better quality, so I'm sure it's worth the money hands down, but has anyone or could anyone provide results with each component, maybe a dyno? Anyone with a modified engine have experience swapping to one or the other to pick up for the newly needed air flow?

That's my last "new topic" for tonight, I promise guys!
Old 02-21-2002, 11:13 PM
Vic'89
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Re: Proven difference... SLP vs. K&N open lid? (BowTieBlood)

I have the open lid and K&N filter combo, it works for me.

I haven't seen any concerte evidence that the aftermarket air intakes work.

Vic
Old 02-21-2002, 11:23 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,400 Likes on 1,016 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

nobody has proven results from it
Old 02-22-2002, 10:48 AM
WINNER
Pro

Cruise-In II Veteran

I swapped my K+N for the SLP and cant tell any difference, other than it looks good. Also when i spoke to the guy i bought it from, he told me that he went with the BPP vortech rammer and couldn't tell any difference over the SLP. :cheers:
Old 02-22-2002, 02:04 PM
A
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Proven difference... SLP vs. K&N open lid? (WINNER)

I noticed no improvement w/ an open lid & K&N over a stock lid and stock filter. My only other 'mod' was my exhaust which was true catless duals w/ Dynomax mufflers and stock headers. I don't know if this actually did make some improvement that I could not feel though cause I haven't taken it to the track to get any times to compare.

I really doubt you'd feel any difference with either one. If you wanna test that theory, remove your air filter and lid and take a pass down a nice clean clear road and see if you feel any huge increase... I bet you won't :D

That being said, I vote for the one that doesn't cost $100+ :yesnod:
Old 02-22-2002, 02:13 PM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't think you'll see much of a difference with either. Personally I run a K&N with an open lid. I actually bought the lid and it looks good, compared to hacking up my stock one. I didn't really feel much if any difference, but every little bit helps.

Your air filter can't flow any more than the volume of air that can go through the duct work from the filter to the TB, in which case an open lid is more than enough, so is the SLP system. The stock system has an opening the size of a business card, in which case there is plenty of improvement to be made.

The thing I really like about the K&N is that it's reusuable and looks good. The open lid has another benefit, you'll notice that with the stock system the filter gets dirty in that one little business car sized spot where the air flows through, not anywhere else. So basically you've got this huge filter being wasted because air can only touch it in that one spot anyway. Now if you put an open lid on the car the entire filter surface will be able to flow air, and the entire filter will get dirty. If the same volume of air is spread over a larger filter area, the filter will last a good deal longer. The SLP system has 3 filters, probably even a larger filter area to get dirty, thus a longer time period between maintanence.

As far as the SLP system vs. the K&N with open lid? Well the open lid is cheaper, as far as benefits it's a wash either way. Go with what you like the best, performance will be the same.

Old 02-22-2002, 08:46 PM
LT4BUD
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: Proven difference... SLP vs. K&N open lid? (Nathan Plemons)

Actually the total surface area of a K&N filter in a stock open lid housing and the total surface area of the 3 K&N filters used in the SLP system are both identical at 150 square inches! I forget the square inches but the total area of the three SLP tubes also match the stock intake area. So I don't see any possible gains from increased flow.

I went from 1)stock filter & housing to 2)K&N filter in stock housing to 3) K&N filter in open lid stock housing to 4) the SLP system. I love the looks of the SLP system. Wish they had used bigger cones or something larger. Bottom line is it looks great, but don't look for any performance gains.
Old 02-22-2002, 09:39 PM
mackeyred96
Team Owner

Location: Former NCM Drag Racing coordinator, National director Corvette Challenge Spring Hill, Tennessee: Whiting, New Jersey
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

You only need as much AIR as your motor can use ;)
Old 02-22-2002, 10:10 PM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Default Re: Proven difference... SLP vs. K&N open lid? (LT4BUD)

Actually the total surface area of a K&N filter in a stock open lid housing and the total surface area of the 3 K&N filters used in the SLP system are both identical at 150 square inches!
What are the odds? :crazy:
Old 02-22-2002, 10:52 PM
vanduker
Drifting

Default Re: Proven difference... SLP vs. K&N open lid? (mackeyred96)

Roger that. If you need three filters, why not 10 or 20. Shoot, I was thinking of maketing my own air cleaner on the SLP model:

NEW!!! FEEL THE POWER!!! - You better order a new set of Goodyears with this one. It's the new VIPER (VanDuker Improved Performance Extra Radical) Spherical Air intake and filtration system. Unlike other vendors who provide only three filters in a substandard array the new VIPER system utilizes a true Spherical configuration with a total of 48 electronic filtration devices arranged as nature intended in a true geometric sphere.

Though fitting the VIPER system requires some modifications* the results in pure tire shredding power are super natural. As air passes through the patented filtration devices, the negatrons in the air are converted to positrons supercharging your performance.

This next part is really small print:
*Requires purchase of carbon fiber replacement hood and 300,000 amp/hr alternator.

Mark
Old 02-22-2002, 10:59 PM
ittlfly
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Gee, I'll take 2 ! :lol:
Old 02-22-2002, 11:24 PM
mackeyred96
Team Owner

Location: Former NCM Drag Racing coordinator, National director Corvette Challenge Spring Hill, Tennessee: Whiting, New Jersey
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: Proven difference... SLP vs. K&N open lid? (vanduker)

Roger that. If you need three filters, why not 10 or 20. Shoot, I was thinking of maketing my own air cleaner on the SLP model:

NEW!!! FEEL THE POWER!!! - You better order a new set of Goodyears with this one. It's the new VIPER (VanDuker Improved Performance Extra Radical) Spherical Air intake and filtration system. Unlike other vendors who provide only three filters in a substandard array the new VIPER system utilizes a true Spherical configuration with a total of 48 electronic filtration devices arranged as nature intended in a true geometric sphere.

Though fitting the VIPER system requires some modifications* the results in pure tire shredding power are super natural. As air passes through the patented filtration devices, the negatrons in the air are converted to positrons supercharging your performance.

This next part is really small print:
*Requires purchase of carbon fiber replacement hood and 300,000 amp/hr alternator.

Mark

Sounds like an add for an air intake alot of YOU use ;)
Old 02-23-2002, 11:29 AM
LT4BUD
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: Proven difference... SLP vs. K&N open lid? (Nathan Plemons)

The fact that the systems match at 150 sq inches sounds like SLP actually "engineered" their intake and was not just an accident. Confirms that Mackey is right in that the stock LT4 or LT1 gets enough air through the stock system and bigger filters would just be a waste.
Old 02-23-2002, 01:26 PM
MSR
Burning Brakes

if you built a solid-roller 396 with the right heads, it will still make massively more power than a stock engine, regardless of the filter/inlet you use. on the dyno, i've seen up to ~10hp at the wheels from stock filter to no filter, less than that for stock to "high-flow" filters. it's usually less than 3rw gain with a k&n.

i'm not going to quibble between 415rw and 420rw, i get 3 times that difference with a weather change. i'd rather have a filter that actually filters well, and prolong the good ring seal by keeping the intake air clean.

on other chassis, though, the inlet can make a huge difference. using the exact same filter, i gained 16rw on a mustang (solid roller 408) by fabricating a new inlet tube. what's funny is that this is infinitely more than any difference you see from larger TBs.

i just don't think the corvette has room for something better. plus, what it does have is pretty good already.

Old 02-27-2002, 12:15 AM
jz94
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Proven difference... SLP vs. K&N open lid? (LT4BUD)

Ooooh! I was sorry to read that the SLP isn't much of an improvement, cuz I just ordered one today!
My experience with the K&N FIPK for my '94 Z28 LT 1 was a positive, speaking from the seat of my pants (figuratively). I hope for 5hp. I know it will at least spice up the appearance of the engine bay, like the red Taylor spark plug wires and chrome wire supports just added.
Actually the total surface area of a K&N filter in a stock open lid housing and the total surface area of the 3 K&N filters used in the SLP system are both identical at 150 square inches! I forget the square inches but the total area of the three SLP tubes also match the stock intake area. So I don't see any possible gains from increased flow.

I went from 1)stock filter & housing to 2)K&N filter in stock housing to 3) K&N filter in open lid stock housing to 4) the SLP system. I love the looks of the SLP system. Wish they had used bigger cones or something larger. Bottom line is it looks great, but don't look for any performance gains.

Old 02-27-2002, 06:14 AM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

My SLP is a ram-air not the "claw"; it actually only cost $100 as it comes with a K&N filter.

My trap speed is up consistently 0.5mph or 5hp over the open lid & K&N. So I think it was worth it.

Get notified of new replies

To Proven difference... SLP vs. K&N open lid?

Quick Reply: Proven difference... SLP vs. K&N open lid?