C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Porting ASM Runners

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 01:23 PM
Pwnage1337
Tech Contributor

Received 188 Likes on 141 Posts

Default Porting ASM Runners

I want to build a 383 this winter, so I know I'm gonna need some aftermarket/porting done. I want to stay TPI

I already have the ASM's.

I am going to buy an aftermarket base and have that ported

And get a plenum from Corvetteplenum.com

Would it be best to have the ASM's siamesed?

Anybody know someone who ports? I know cuisinartvette does, but i don't know if he does runners.
Old 09-26-2009, 01:40 PM
BADDUCK
Le Mans Master

Location: One day you're a Comet...the next day you're dust... Arkansas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

www.arkansaspolishing.com
Old 09-26-2009, 01:59 PM
Pwnage1337
Tech Contributor

wow, amazing website. Thanks!!
Old 09-26-2009, 02:15 PM
engle1147
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Get a hold of this guy:http://forums.corvetteforum.com/memb...e-graycar.html

Old 09-26-2009, 03:00 PM
eguyett1985
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

If you want the runners opened up all the way through I would suggest Extrude Hone:
http://www.extrudehone.com/
I have had them do a couple intakes for me including a Dodge Viper intake and heads and the process is very good. Because the process uses an abrasive media, it is not selective as to where it removes the material but rather it removes it evenly throughout the runner or port so if you need a specific area addressed like changing a radius in a head, you will have to do that by hand first and then Extrude Hone once you are finished. For intakes with areas that are nearly impossible to get to and accurately open up Extrude Hone is the way to go. I haven't sent them anything in a couple years and it looks like they are owned by Kennemetal so I don't know if anything's changed, you will probably have to call them directly.
Old 09-26-2009, 03:05 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 370 Likes on 306 Posts

I don't understand how your going to port those runners. They are paper thin. You might be able to notch into the flange a little bit with some siamese work.

I also don't understand how the Corvetteplenum.com piece is different from the ported one you already have. It's a little rough but would be easy to smooth the port edges to runners.

The big base idea is good!

Are you going to use your short block? If not, I'll run it in mine when it blows.
Old 09-26-2009, 06:46 PM
mr.beachcomber
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Aardwolf
I don't understand how your going to port those runners. They are paper thin. You might be able to notch into the flange a little bit with some siamese work...
Concur with Aardwolf's assessment. ASM's runners are thin-wall tubing - they are not cast aluminum like other big runners nor are they siamesed like most cast runners. They flow quite well as is and should support your 383 with a ported, aftermarket manifold.
Old 09-26-2009, 08:15 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

First off, maybe look at a first system, or some different options IMHO.

I would focus on the motor, and worry about intake later. by the time you build a motor you might be able to have a better intake, or your plan might change.

I think by now you know LTR TPI set up is not a performance set up. I think if you are talking 383 you are talking at least superram if not HSR or mini ram. The LTR TPI in my mind robs or defeats the purpose of a bigger built motor. for those who speak of torque loss, look at HOLESHOT"s video of his 85' on youtube, with 383 miniram.( he also has gears though)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B029yiXR2Hs

Last edited by pologreen1; 09-26-2009 at 08:29 PM.
Old 09-26-2009, 08:52 PM
ekess744
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"The LTR TPI in my mind robs or defeats the purpose of a bigger built motor. for those who speak of torque loss, look at HOLESHOT"s video of his 85' on youtube, with 383 miniram.( he also has gears though"

exactly my thoughts.
Old 09-26-2009, 09:35 PM
M.J.L.
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11

383 TPI with Roller rockers, cam/heads, chip, bigger injectors, headers true duals, high flow cats, free flowing mufflers, Ported to the max asm runners/aftermarket base/plenum, slp cold air intake, and a better cooling system, you will have a bad *** motor in the lower-mid RPMs. The other set ups are for high RPMs. Honestly are you really going to obe hitting 5000 or more RPMs on a street car? Nope. Make the TPI the best you can. Get a good tune like from PCMFORLESS when your mods are all done and tear some tires up.

Almost forgot, get a D44 with gears. Expensive yes, but I am aiming for that set up.
Old 09-26-2009, 09:49 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ~Oakley~
383 TPI with Roller rockers, cam/heads, chip, bigger injectors, headers true duals, high flow cats, free flowing mufflers, Ported to the max asm runners/aftermarket base/plenum, slp cold air intake, and a better cooling system, you will have a bad *** motor in the lower-mid RPMs. The other set ups are for high RPMs. Honestly are you really going to obe hitting 5000 or more RPMs on a street car? Nope. Make the TPI the best you can. Get a good tune like from PCMFORLESS when your mods are all done and tear some tires up.

Almost forgot, get a D44 with gears. Expensive yes, but I am aiming for that set up.
well if you make gobs of torque down low, you go no where, and if you can put down you hp things start to wear or even break things, or you are wound out by the time you get traction at 4500-5000 rpm.

that mini ram video shows he can burn robber no problem, and he will clean any LTR set ups clock under any circumstance even under 6k.
Old 09-26-2009, 10:47 PM
engle1147
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If it is a daily driver stick to the LTR....weekender sky's the limit! Either way it will be fun to build to build it.

Old 09-27-2009, 12:46 AM
Pwnage1337
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Aardwolf
I don't understand how your going to port those runners. They are paper thin. You might be able to notch into the flange a little bit with some siamese work.

I also don't understand how the Corvetteplenum.com piece is different from the ported one you already have. It's a little rough but would be easy to smooth the port edges to runners.

The big base idea is good!

Are you going to use your short block? If not, I'll run it in mine when it blows.
I am not going to be using my stock shortblock. There is someone local selling a bored/stroker clearanced block for 175 dollars. Cheaper than having my original block bored/hot tanked/clearanced.

Originally Posted by ~Oakley~

You just read my mind.

It is going to be a street car. I don't know about the SLP intake...no cats either

I eventually want to supercharge it, but that's going to be like 10 years down the road. I figure if I can donate plasma to make an extra 200 dollars a month and put it ALL towards a blower, I can have a supercharger kit in about.....25-30 months. NOT BAD!!

I think the only way to have the ASM's ported is going to be extrude honing. Has anybody ever done this? It sounds expensive...

Last edited by Pwnage1337; 09-27-2009 at 12:50 AM.
Old 09-27-2009, 12:55 AM
jmrl98
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Eh man, those boys are right - AS&M are thin. I could only get 1/4" on the top & bottom siamesed, and when i tried to go a little further on the bottom flange of one runner, I had to add a little permatex to it (made a hole). All is well as they are not a vacuum leak source, but they are way more thin than stock, for sure.
Old 09-27-2009, 01:04 AM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Pwnage1337
I am not going to be using my stock shortblock. There is someone local selling a bored/stroker clearanced block for 175 dollars. Cheaper than having my original block bored/hot tanked/clearanced.

You just read my mind.

It is going to be a street car. I don't know about the SLP intake...no cats either

I eventually want to supercharge it, but that's going to be like 10 years down the road. I figure if I can donate plasma to make an extra 200 dollars a month and put it ALL towards a blower, I can have a supercharger kit in about.....25-30 months. NOT BAD!!

I think the only way to have the ASM's ported is going to be extrude honing. Has anybody ever done this? It sounds expensive...
soon you can donate at the daddy bank too
Old 09-28-2009, 01:13 PM
Pwnage1337
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by pologreen1
soon you can donate at the daddy bank too
Can you actually make money donating semen? This is another option. Seriously though, can you?
Old 09-28-2009, 02:39 PM
ekess744
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you actually make money donating semen? This is another option. Seriously though, can you?
just find the right girl
Old 09-28-2009, 03:32 PM
Calderone
Le Mans Master

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

i learned the hard way to stay away from LTR setups,i got a Super Ram and i dont discard a MR unit if i build a 383 or a 421 down the road.-

oh ..and im a street driver but i want to be capable of beat some azz on the track as well
Old 09-28-2009, 04:44 PM
BADDUCK
Le Mans Master

Location: One day you're a Comet...the next day you're dust... Arkansas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There goes the gene pooll!

Get notified of new replies

To Porting ASM Runners

Quick Reply: Porting ASM Runners