C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Broken water pump stud - 85 L98

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 02:28 AM
pletzvet
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Broken water pump stud - 85 L98

ARGH!!! Decided to replace my TC cover after the previous harmonic balancer outer ring slid back and wore a hole in it. Patched the TC cover with JB weld and RTV sealer and no leaks for the past 3 years but it was a job waiting to be done. Anyway, the lower stud on the water pump on the passenger side was tighter than the others (all were really tight!), the threads loosened but corrosion in the casting got tighter and tighter as the bolt started turning out, then SNAP!! Considering my options...lots of liquid wrench is soaking on the broken stud and the pump is loose. Little chance that the pump is going to slide off the broken stud. I'm not worried about getting the broken stud out once I get the water pump off. Considering heat, but I don't think that'll work. Possibly take the air chisel and try to break the corner of the WP casting around the stud. Or, electric grinder and grind out a section of the casting. Other ideas??
Old 10-03-2009, 03:26 PM
pletzvet
Pro

It's off and the broken stud is out - with a little help from a air chisel.
Old 10-03-2009, 09:56 PM
captmike13
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

Good. Now the next challenge is to put it all back together.
Old 10-04-2009, 12:00 AM
pletzvet
Pro

I'm changing the timing chain while I have it torn down, pretty sure the one on there is original and it had about 1 1/4" slack and the cam gear had the nylon teeth. All teeth are intact and in good shape. The car has 130,000 miles on it. While I was cleaning the front of the engine down, I keep noticing a little drip of coolant dropping off the bottom right side of the engine. Sure enough the frost plug had sprung a leak, so that gets replaced too. Nice and easy to get to when it's all apart!

Get notified of new replies

To Broken water pump stud - 85 L98

Quick Reply: Broken water pump stud - 85 L98