C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

is 45* total spark advance too much?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 11:32 PM
matts85vet
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default is 45* total spark advance too much?

installed a fluidampr today with new pointer. with the timing marks on the damper i can now see that my spark advance with wire connected is about 45* as i revved the motor. is this too much?

ive heard sbc's like a total of 36-38* total advance

whats the best setting?

thanks in advance

matt
Old 10-04-2009, 06:23 AM
BadSS
Instructor

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

You have to find true top dead center with a degree wheel and set the tab to zero before you know for sure what the timing is. If we're talking pump gas and the engine likes 45-degrees, meaning it's not pinging and it's where the engine runs the best ET,, chances are the timing tab is off.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:33 AM
MR NICE
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by matts85vet
installed a fluidampr today with new pointer. with the timing marks on the damper i can now see that my spark advance with wire connected is about 45* as i revved the motor. is this too much?

ive heard sbc's like a total of 36-38* total advance

whats the best setting?

thanks in advance

matt
On a carb car the vacumm advance adds timing at part throttle, numbers in the 50's are normal,when you go to WOT the vac. advance is no longer in use, then it's mech and base timing.. I have no clue about the computer timing at part throttle.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:24 AM
mseven
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by matts85vet
installed a fluidampr today with new pointer. with the timing marks on the damper i can now see that my spark advance with wire connected is about 45* as i revved the motor. is this too much? ive heard sbc's like a total of 36-38* total advance whats the best setting?thanks in advance
matt
the best setting is to set it to 6* w/est disconnected and when reconnected allowing the ecm's timing table to do it's job . At certain rpm's v.s. load (not @WOT) the timing table will have as much as 45*.
Old 10-04-2009, 02:25 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Originally Posted by MR NICE
On a carb car the vacumm advance adds timing at part throttle, numbers in the 50's are normal,when you go to WOT the vac. advance is no longer in use, then it's mech and base timing.. I have no clue about the computer timing at part throttle.
You're correct about the vacuum and mechanical advance distributor. The same holds true for computer timing. With little or no load, the timing will easily reach 45 or 50 degrees. It is at wide open throttle at full load that timing will be at around 34 degrees or so.

Get notified of new replies

To is 45* total spark advance too much?

Quick Reply: is 45* total spark advance too much?