C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

92 Instument Panel / CCM question

Old 10-05-2009, 12:35 PM
rwsduc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 Instument Panel / CCM question

A while back the LCD portion of my 92's instrument panel started scrambling or going blank altogether (orange backlighting stay lit) when I would hit a bump, then it began doing it all the time.

I recently removed the instrument panel and cleaned all the contacts, as well as checking the socket in the dash board and bending all of the sockets to ensure good contact with the instrument panel connector.

The instrument panel appears to be working now, but a sharp rap to the dash board will still make the LCD go blank. I read in the Helm manual to check for codes 26-36 (maybe up to 38), which I had pulled when the LCD first began acting up (couldn't check them over the weekend, didn't have my cheat sheet to perform the procedure with me).

My question is, has anyone ever solved this problem by simply cleaning the contacts on the CCM plugs, or did it require replacement of the CCM?

I haven't had time to pull it yet to inspect anything on the CCM yet. Also, the schematics refer to G201 as the ground for the I/P, but I have yet to actually locate G201 under the dash. Any advice on where specifically to look?

And yes, I have searched the previous posts and pulled as much information as I could find before I started another post.

Thanks in advance to all who help!
Old 10-05-2009, 12:55 PM
gbrtng
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Your cluster LCDs are flakey? Check with these guys

http://www.instrumentclusters.com/

They repaired my 91's cluster. This is a common problem, and maybe all they do is repair cold solder joints, but I got so darned fed up trying to fix it myself I sent it to them instead.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:16 PM
toptechx6
Safety Car

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by rwsduc
A while back the LCD portion of my 92's instrument panel started scrambling or going blank altogether (orange backlighting stay lit) when I would hit a bump, then it began doing it all the time.

I recently removed the instrument panel and cleaned all the contacts, as well as checking the socket in the dash board and bending all of the sockets to ensure good contact with the instrument panel connector.

The instrument panel appears to be working now, but a sharp rap to the dash board will still make the LCD go blank. I read in the Helm manual to check for codes 26-36 (maybe up to 38), which I had pulled when the LCD first began acting up (couldn't check them over the weekend, didn't have my cheat sheet to perform the procedure with me).

My question is, has anyone ever solved this problem by simply cleaning the contacts on the CCM plugs, or did it require replacement of the CCM?

I haven't had time to pull it yet to inspect anything on the CCM yet. Also, the schematics refer to G201 as the ground for the I/P, but I have yet to actually locate G201 under the dash. Any advice on where specifically to look?

And yes, I have searched the previous posts and pulled as much information as I could find before I started another post.

No specific help with your problem, but I can provide some helpful information concerning wiring diagrams, locating grounds, connectors etc.
At the very end of the circuit diagram for each electrical section you will find a "component location" chart listing connectors, splices and grounds. My 93 book shows G201 to be located beneath the left side of the instrument panel on the kick panel. Hope that helps.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:20 PM
engle1147
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Stop hitting the panel you'll damage it.

To me it sounds like the connection on the LCD glass panel itself is intermittent. The 90-96 LCD panel connections can be tricky since they are just "pinched" on there and the contact points aren't really visable...any way it sounds as if you've lost tension at the contact point from what your describing.

Old 10-05-2009, 01:24 PM
rwsduc
Instructor

Originally Posted by gbrtng
Your cluster LCDs are flakey? Check with these guys

http://www.instrumentclusters.com/

They repaired my 91's cluster. This is a common problem, and maybe all they do is repair cold solder joints, but I got so darned fed up trying to fix it myself I sent it to them instead.
Thanks for your reply, do you recall how much they charged you? I've seen $250 - $379 for replacements for the 92, sounds like a bargain at this point...
Old 10-05-2009, 01:32 PM
rwsduc
Instructor

Originally Posted by engle1147

To me it sounds like the connection on the LCD glass panel itself is intermittent. The 90-96 LCD panel connections can be tricky since they are just "pinched" on there and the contact points aren't really visable...any way it sounds as if you've lost tension at the contact point from what your describing.

The pins on the glass slide firmly into the brown plastic connector at the rear. After I removed the LCD glass I checked the pins and they appeared to be firmly attached. I'll pull the LCD back out to doublecheck the pins where they connect to the glass. Assuming I find a loose culprit, is there a recommended fix? I've soldered an awful lot of things, but never on glass!
Old 10-05-2009, 01:36 PM
rwsduc
Instructor

Originally Posted by engle1147

But I was hitting it with my head...oh wait, that's probably even worse than my fist...
Old 10-05-2009, 01:43 PM
engle1147
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

But I was hitting it with my head...oh wait, that's probably even worse than my fist...

Do not try to solder the glass connections....you'll need a new panel if you try that. Remove the panel and wipe the contact points with WD40, try to add a slight bit more tension on the connections that contact the glass panel, then slip the connector back on the LCD and reassemble the cluster.

Old 10-05-2009, 01:57 PM
gbrtng
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for your reply, do you recall how much they charged you? I've seen $250 - $379 for replacements for the 92, sounds like a bargain at this point...
It was about $300 and they provided a shipping container.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:33 AM
rwsduc
Instructor

Originally Posted by gbrtng
It was about $300 and they provided a shipping container.

Thanks, I sent them an email Monday and haven't received a reply yet.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:34 AM
rwsduc
Instructor

Update - I pulled the codes yesterday and recorded the following:

CCM
C32 (ckt 1365)
C34 (ckt 1367)
C36 (ckt 1368)
C38 (ckt 1366)

H27 (ckt 1374)
H32
H34
H36
H38

ECM

H16 (I installed a Delteq Opti-Direct years ago, not sure if this is meaningful or not)

EBCM

Err (???)

I haven't had a chance to go through the troubleshooting flowcharts for the respective codes yet. Some steps require performing a continuity check between the I/P plug and CCM plug(s). I'll have to wait until this weekend to try that.

The "Err" code on the EBCM module is a little troubling, anyone seen that before?

Thanks,
Rick
Old 10-07-2009, 12:49 PM
josephf31
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default I have never

heard of having to replace the CCM to fix an bad LCD. Not saying it couldn't happen but I've ever seen it. MUCH more likely that the cluster is bad.

For repairs/replacements, stay away from Taber's -- bad news...
Old 10-07-2009, 01:38 PM
rwsduc
Instructor

Originally Posted by josephf31
heard of having to replace the CCM to fix an bad LCD. Not saying it couldn't happen but I've ever seen it. MUCH more likely that the cluster is bad.

For repairs/replacements, stay away from Taber's -- bad news...
Thanks for the heads up on Taber's, so far I've only come across a few places that repair the instrument panel.
Old 10-08-2009, 04:36 AM
VenkmanP
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the heads up on Taber's, so far I've only come across a few places that repair the instrument panel.
You should be able to pick up a good used LT1 cluster for $100 or so.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:23 AM
josephf31
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default They

Originally Posted by Vis Croceus
You should be able to pick up a good used LT1 cluster for $100 or so.
can be found on eBay, much easier to find, and cheaper, than a '90 or '91 cluster.
Old 10-11-2009, 02:05 PM
rwsduc
Instructor

Originally Posted by josephf31
can be found on eBay, much easier to find, and cheaper, than a '90 or '91 cluster.
I found one on Ebay for $200 with a 7 day return policy. More than I hoped to pay, but I bought it. I'll let everyone know what happens when I install it. Wish me luck!

instrumentclusters.com not replied to me, business must be booming there...
Old 10-18-2009, 09:08 AM
rwsduc
Instructor

Alright, I received a replacement I/P which appears to have taken care of the problem. My next problem is that I have been fighting to get the CCM seated properly in the right hand bracket. Apparently I will need to remove the right side of the interior to get the pins lined up in the rh knee bolster.

Get notified of new replies

To 92 Instument Panel / CCM question

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 92 Instument Panel / CCM question